[sci.space] Nameplates on space probes

rfc@briar.Philips.Com (Robert Casey) (11/08/90)

Just saw the old movie _Star Trek, the Motion Picture_.  Near the end, you see
the old space probe "Voyager 6", with a nameplate.  I know that there is no
Voyager 6 probe, but I was wondering if NASA really puts nameplates with the
name of the probe on the probes.  Who's gonna see it after it's launched?  I
know about the picture plate on the Pioneers, and the picture and sound record
on the Voyagers.

  *   .                                               -)#

sultan@bu-ast.bu.edu (Peter Sultan) (11/09/90)

There have been several `nameplates' on US space probes.
I suspect that `Posterity' is the usual reason.  How many
people are going to read the "We came in peace..." plaque
on the Apollo 11 LEM?   The recently launched CRRES satellite
has a plate affixed to it in memory of Stan Shawhan, the
Director of NASA's Space Science division who died last June.

                            - Peter Sultan
                              BU Astronomy

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (Daniel Briggs) (11/09/90)

In article <68212@bu.edu.bu.edu> sultan@bu-ast.bu.edu (Peter Sultan) writes:
>There have been several `nameplates' on US space probes.
>I suspect that `Posterity' is the usual reason.  How many
                                                  ^^^^^^^^
>people are going to read the "We came in peace..." plaque
>on the Apollo 11 LEM?   The recently launched CRRES satellite
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>has a plate affixed to it in memory of Stan Shawhan, the
>Director of NASA's Space Science division who died last June.

C'mon, Peter, the moon is right next door!  We may well never see the
Voyagers again, (Star Trek I notwithstanding), but the moon isn't
*going* anyplace, relative to us.  If the world gets its collective
act together, that site may well be a *shrine*, a century from now.
It's not even completely outlandish that someone reading this message
might one day read that plaque.

--
This is a shared guest account, please send replies to
dbriggs@nrao.edu (Internet)  ["Life's a Beech, and then you Dive."]

jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan A Bishop) (11/09/90)

sultan@bu-ast.bu.edu (Peter Sultan) writes:

>There have been several `nameplates' on US space probes.
>I suspect that `Posterity' is the usual reason.  How many
>people are going to read the "We came in peace..." plaque
>on the Apollo 11 LEM?

    I plan to!!!

--
jabishop@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead; there's something wrong.
Can you hear me, Major Tom?" -- David Bowie

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov9.014107.10312@nmt.edu> dbriggs@nrao.edu (Daniel Briggs):
> In article <68212@bu.edu.bu.edu> sultan@bu-ast.bu.edu (Peter Sultan):
> > There have been several `nameplates' on US space probes.

> C'mon, Peter, the moon is right next door!  We may well never see the
> Voyagers again

I would be surprised to see a Voyager in the Smithsonian in 50 years, but
100 years might not be unreasonable.  If us earthlings pooled our expertise
and money, as we might someday do, travel within the solar system will be
within reach.  A Voyager might be scientifically interesting from the
standpoint of examining a man-made object that was exposed to outer solar
system space for a long time.  Sort of like LDEF without any tomatoes.

> If the world gets its collective act together, that site may well be
> a *shrine*, a century from now.  It's not even completely outlandish
> that someone reading this message might one day read that plaque.

Put a dome over the thing and build the Smithsonain-Disney Moon Theme Park
around it!

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john