[sci.space] Space Station mission

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (11/10/90)

In article <2688@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:
>It looks more like Freedom and LLNL could be COMPLIMENTARY, since
>they appear to have different missions.  The question is, which
>mission(s) is/are the right ones.

Speaking as a scientist, I think that we will get a lot more science if:
- a station is actually lofted. Freedom is looking doomed.
- continuous, permanent manned presence in space is THE PRIMARY goal.
  Congress can postpone the next wonder toy, but they can't call the
  crews home. Besides, what _I_ want researched, is how to live off-
  Earth. Now, there's a mission.

>You get cheap empty shells, it costs plenty to fit them out with
>state of the art scientific equipment. LLNL may be lighter and
>cheaper  than using metal modules a' la Freedom, but most of
>Freedom's weight and cost is in the science and support equipment,
>the module structure is small fraction of the total.

I think you have just destroyed your argument that LLNL will wind
up as expensive as Freedom. LLNL won't loft the science equipment.
This is smart: the alternative is no space station, and then there
_really_ won't be any science done.

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/11/90)

+I think you have just destroyed your argument that LLNL will wind
+up as expensive as Freedom. LLNL won't loft the science equipment.
+This is smart: the alternative is no space station, and then there
+_really_ won't be any science done.
-
What is smart about not lanching any science equipment ?
How can you get science out of a station with no equipment ?

lindsay@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (11/12/90)

In article <2699@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:

>+ LLNL won't loft the science equipment.
>+This is smart: the alternative is no space station, and then there
>+_really_ won't be any science done.
>
>What is smart about not lanching any science equipment ?
>How can you get science out of a station with no equipment ?

How can you get science out of a cancelled station, or one that
reenters because the Shuttle fleet gets grounded again?

A minimal station can do the following:
- research whether the minimal station works!
	(This includes the proposed power supply, the meteor-
	bumper issue, the artificial gravity, the escape
	system, ...)
	(You're going to tell me Fred won't need any retrofits
	after first occupancy?)
- research human reaction to artificial gravity.
	(The human is the equipment. I don't know how many
	successful launches the configuration takes: 6? Against
	what, 26 for a minimal Fred?)
- provide a place to hang the equipment that is brought up later.
- provide a rallying point for funding battles, with each money
  increment making the station one notch less minimal.

BTW, we need a good colloquial name for the LLNL station. The
Oscar (as in Oscar Meyer)?
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/12/90)

+How can you get science out of a cancelled station, or one that
+reenters because the Sh+uttle fleet gets grounded again?
-
Freedom can survive a couple of years when boosted into a higher
orbit.    How can you launch astronauts to LLNL when it has no viable
manned ferry craft design ?  ($ 200 M - hah !)

+A minimal station can do the following:
+- research whether the minimal station works!
+        (This includes the proposed power supply, the meteor-
+        bumper issue, the artificial gravity, the escape
+        system, ...)
+        (You're going to tell me Fred won't need any retrofits
+        after first occupancy?)
-
Freedom is modular and allows for replacement of modules either for
repair or upgrade.   Over a 30 year lifetime it is likely that
upgrades will be advantageous.

+- research human reaction to artificial gravity.
+        (The human is the equipment. I don't know how many
-
How will you monitor the human subject ?  Without equipment about all
you can do is psychological examinations.

+        successful launches the configuration takes: 6? Against
+        what, 26 for a minimal Fred?)
+- provide a place to hang the equipment that is brought up later.
+- provide a rallying point for funding battles, with each money
+  increment making the station one notch less minimal.
-
I have no problem with that approach, provided everybody recognizes
it for what it is.   ie after 6 flights or whatever (assuming they
can figure out a way of ferrying astronauts to the station) you end
up with an empty shell.   It will take another dozen flights and
another infusion of tax dollars to convert it into a useful science
station.