[sci.space] Call for new news group : sci.space.seds

zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk (M.S.Bennett Supvs= Prof Pendry) (11/07/90)

SEDS is one of the largest space student organisation in the world- USSEDS was
founded 10 years ago to put pressure on congress to uncancel a number of
probe missions - in this it was successful.

Now SEDS is growing into a multi-national organisation with branches across the
world (Italy, Tiwan, Canada). We have links with the ISU and Eurasia (the
European Space student group).

We clearly need some means of giving people an easy mode of access other than
BITNET mail servers - NEWS would be an excelent method.

I await your responses, if any - (would that mean you did not object?)

			Yours M.S.Bennett
--
/------    -------    -----\       /------   |  ======================  |
|          |          |      \    |          |  M. Sean Bennett         |

white@nereid.ists.ca (Harold Peter White) (11/07/90)

I was also thinking about the idea of suggesting a seds news group (ie.
sci.seds). I would like to see one group for discussion of the near future of
exploration and development of space, with input from all areas. This could
possibly save band width from people always cross-posting such things between
sci.space, sci.astro, and sci.space.shuttle. To have to go through the same
messages two or three times is rather a bother. Let sci.astro talk about
astronomy, let sci.space talk about space (and yes, I realize that there is no
set devission between the two), and sci.space.shuttle talk about shuttle
related topics. Discussion about such things as space station Fred, a moon
base, space agriculture and medicine could be posted to sci.seds, instead of
cross posted amongst a few different groups. (Assuming people resist the urge
to cross-post). Infact, I'm willing to bet that those who read sci.astro and
sci.space.shuttle (and a few other groups) will also read this in sci.space,
and thus I don't need to cross post.

Anyone else interested in a group for discussion on the area of exploration and
development of space?

H. Peter White
white@nereid.sal.ists.ca
ISTS / Space Astrophysics Laboratory

irwin@iago.caltech.edu (Horowitz, Irwin Kenneth) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.193929.6072@cc.ic.ac.uk>, zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk (M.S.Bennett  Supvs= Prof Pendry) writes...

>SEDS is one of the largest space student organisation in the world- USSEDS was
>founded 10 years ago to put pressure on congress to uncancel a number of
>probe missions - in this it was successful.

Just want to clear this up for the record...SEDS WAS NOT formed to put pressure
on Congress to fund certain space probes (our friends in the UK seem to have
this crazy notion, but I know not from where...).  SEDS is a non-profit
organization, and as such is limited to the rules governing such groups in
terms of political lobbying.  What SEDS (which by the way stands for Students
for the Exploration and Development of Space) does is work to promote our goals
through educational activities.  While it is true that the members of SEDS can
become politically involved (as US citizens we all have that right), we can't
really do it as an organization, but simply as individuals.  In fact, in the
past few months, I have written a letter to several congressmen (concerning the
SEI) as well as helped in the reelection campaign of Congressman George Brown
(who appears to have won!).  However, I did this not as a SEDS member, but
rather as a concerned citizen (see the difference, Sean?).

>Now SEDS is growing into a multi-national organisation with branches across the
>world (Italy, Tiwan, Canada). We have links with the ISU and Eurasia (the
>European Space student group).
>
>We clearly need some means of giving people an easy mode of access other than
>BITNET mail servers - NEWS would be an excelent method.

For anyone who is interested, there are two news groups that are devoted to
SEDS information.  One, called SEDSNEWS, is basically a rehash of much of the
NASA info released on sci.space and sci.space.shuttle (probe and shuttle
updates) as well as some other info of interest.  The other deals mainly with
the internal workings of SEDS as an organization, and has proven extremely
helpful in terms of communications between students at widely scattered
locations.  It is called SEDS-L.  If you are interested in receiving either
of these, please contact me, and I'll forward the instructions on how to sign
up for them.

In the meantime, if ANYONE out there is curious about SEDS, and would like more
info, I'll be more than happy to provide whatever you may need.  We are looking
to expand our organization, and would like to get contacts from interested
high school and college students from around the world!

BTW, I have been a member of SEDS since my freshman year at MIT (1982), and
have had many wonderful experiences due to my involvement with SEDS.  I really
want to make SEDS available to anyone who is interested in humanity's future
in space.

>I await your responses, if any - (would that mean you did not object?)
>
>			Yours M.S.Bennett
>--
>/------    -------    -----\       /------   |  ======================  |
>|          |          |      \    |          |  M. Sean Bennett         |
>\-----\    |----      |       |    \-----\   |  UKSEDS TECH.OFF.        |
>       |   |          |      /            |  |  Janet:SEDS@CC.IC.AC.UK  |
Irwin Horowitz                        |"Suppose they went nowhere?"-McCoy
Astronomy Department                  |"Then this will be your big chance
California Institute of Technology    | to get away from it all!"-Kirk
irwin@romeo.caltech.edu               |       from STII:TWOK
ih@deimos.caltech.edu                 |

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (11/08/90)

In article <14853@ists.ists.ca> white@nereid.ists.ca (Harold Peter White) writes:

>I was also thinking about the idea of suggesting a seds news group (ie.
>sci.seds). I would like to see one group for discussion of the near future of
>exploration and development of space, with input from all areas. This could
>possibly save band width from people always cross-posting such things between
>sci.space, sci.astro, and sci.space.shuttle. To have to go through the same
>messages two or three times is rather a bother. Let sci.astro talk about
>astronomy, let sci.space talk about space (and yes, I realize that there is no
>set devission between the two), and sci.space.shuttle talk about shuttle
>related topics. Discussion about such things as space station Fred, a moon
>base, space agriculture and medicine could be posted to sci.seds, instead of
>cross posted amongst a few different groups. (Assuming people resist the urge
>to cross-post). Infact, I'm willing to bet that those who read sci.astro and
>sci.space.shuttle (and a few other groups) will also read this in sci.space,
>and thus I don't need to cross post.
>
>Anyone else interested in a group for discussion on the area of exploration and
>development of space?
>
>H. Peter White
>white@nereid.sal.ists.ca
>ISTS / Space Astrophysics Laboratory

   I guess I just don't see the point. Why not sci.space.nasa or sci.space.esa
   or sci.space.aiaa or sci.space.interkosmos...

   Things work just fine now, don't they ?

   What's wrong with sci.space ?

   Just my 2 cents.

   Ken

zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk (M.S.Bennett Supvs= Prof Pendry) (11/08/90)

This is just to set the record straight - I should not have used the word
'congress'. SEDS was also formed to educate people about space and inspire
them to achieve.

I have also been told that I'm using the wrong news group!
Is it too much to ask for a news group called HELP!
>chukle<
OK all kidding asside I have got no +ve response so I withdraw the
sujestion.

I hope to have some persons posting a complete history of SEDS to this
newsgroup.

I'm also trying to fix my signature file!

--
/------    -------    -----\       /------   |  ======================  |
|          |          |      \    |          |  M. Sean Bennett         |

zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk (M.S.Bennett Supvs= Prof Pendry) (11/09/90)

I seem to have been too quick to say that there was no backing I think I may
call for a discussion on the topic in the proper manner.
This I am doing to day. I have got some positive responses from various
groups.

	M.Sean Bennett
--
/------    -------    -----\       /------   |  ======================  |
|          |          |      \    |          |  M. Sean Bennett         |

David.Anderman@ofa123.fidonet.org (David Anderman) (11/10/90)

Can you publish information about a SEDS chapter in San Diego?

--
David Anderman
Internet: David.Anderman@ofa123.fidonet.org

irwin@iago.caltech.edu (Horowitz, Irwin Kenneth) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov8.145217.14520@cc.ic.ac.uk>, zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk (M.S.Bennett  Supvs= Prof Pendry) writes...

>I hope to have some persons posting a complete history of SEDS to this
>newsgroup.
>

>--
>/------    -------    -----\       /------   |  ======================  |
>|          |          |      \    |          |  M. Sean Bennett         |
>\-----\    |----      |       |    \-----\   |  UKSEDS TECH.OFF.        |
>       |   |          |      /            |  |  Janet:SEDS@CC.IC.AC.UK  |

I doubt that the readership of this news group would necessarily care to
receive a complete history of SEDS.  There may be several individual readers
out there that are interested.  In any event, the current leadership of SEDS
is in the process of putting together a booklet describing the organization's
first 10 years, with special sections written by long time members like myself.
This booklet will not be completed until sometime next year, but when it is
completed, I will post a message to sci.space to that effect.  At that point,
any interested readers out there can e-mail me requesting a copy of the
booklet and I will see that one is sent to you.

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (11/12/90)

From article <1990Nov6.193929.6072@cc.ic.ac.uk>, by zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk (M.S.Bennett  Supvs= Prof Pendry):
> founded 10 years ago to put pressure on congress to uncancel a number of
> probe missions - in this it was successful.
Which ones ? I know Planetary Society was involved in lobbying for
Galileo & Mars Observer - what exactly did SEDS do ?

Nick