[sci.space] LLNL Astronaut Delivery

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (11/05/90)

In article <2658@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:

   [quoting Alan Sherzer]

   +Again, can you be more specific? When McDonnell Douglas says they
   +can cluster Deltas to lift a 100K pound payload for $500M in three
   +years on what do you base your belief that it can't be done? When
   +Martin Marrietta makes similar claims about the Titan, why are they
   +wrong? What error in costing did they make?
   -
   I have no doubt MDAC and Martin can deliver those.   But I am still
   waiting to hear how they or anybody else can build a new re-usable
   manned spacecraft with long stay EVA capability (including robot arm)
   for less than $ 5 - 10 B.  You cannot build LLNL without one, you
   yourself acknowledge the need for contingency EVA, and that is what
   it takes.   Looks cheaper to use the Shuttle for the contingency EVA
   role.

I'm not sure that contingency EVA requires a "re-usable manned
spacecraft with long stay EVA capability (including robot arm)".  As
long as the Earth Station maintains integrity, the astronauts should
be able to run EVAs out of it.  Of course, if it doesn't, then they
*are* in deep trouble.

On the other hand, Charles Radley does raise an important point here.
How *is* LLNL planning to get astronauts up to the station?  Are they
planning to use the shuttle or develop their own spacecraft?  It
probably wouldn't be too risky to rely on the shuttle for one or two
launches, where it really *is* useful (i.e. launching astronauts).

In contrast, the number of shuttle launches that Freedom requires
makes me a bit uncomfortable.  Then again, I could be wrong -- at
least the hydrogen leaks have been fixed...

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") (11/06/90)

In article <YAMAUCHI.90Nov5010259@heron.cs.rochester.edu>:
>On the other hand, Charles Radley does raise an important point here.
>How *is* LLNL planning to get astronauts up to the station?

Put a capsule on a Delta.

>Are they planning to use the shuttle or develop their own spacecraft?

They plan to develop their own. For $200M they could buy a ACRV or
a Soyuz for $50M. We have built lots of capsules in the last 30 years
so I don't think it needs to be that expensive.

>It
>probably wouldn't be too risky to rely on the shuttle for one or two
>launches, where it really *is* useful (i.e. launching astronauts).

Not too risky, but far too expensive.

        Allen
|Allen W. Sherzer| I had a guaranteed military sale with ED-209. Renovation |
|   aws@iti.org  | programs, spare parts for 25 years. Who cares if it      |
|                | works or not?  - Dick Jones, VP OCP Security Concepts    |

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/06/90)

+I'm not sure that contingency EVA requires a "re-usable manned
+spacecraft with long stay EVA capability (including robot arm)".  As
+long as the Earth Station maintains integrity, the astronauts should
+be able to run EVAs out of it.  Of course, if it doesn't, then they
+*are* in deep trouble.
-
Again,  am talking about BEFORE the Earth station is online, I am
trying to cover the contingecy of the Earth Station failing to
automatically inflate, and EVA or robotics are required to complete
the assembly......

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/06/90)

>How *is* LLNL planning to get astronauts up to the station?
+Put a capsule on a Delta.
>Are they planning to use the shuttle or develop their own spacecraft?
+They plan to develop their own. For $200M they could buy a ACRV or
+a Soyuz for $50M. We have built lots of capsules in the last 30 years
+so I don't think it needs to be that expensive.
-
Soyuz is not available, how can LLNL have it in their plan ?   A
capsule of $ 200 M is inadequate, as a minimum a Gemini type vehicle
is required which is more like $ 2 - 3 B.  Remember you need long
duration EVA, it may take a couple of weeks to get a failed LLNL
fully deployed.
  If we had access to Soyuz and Soviet technology, the cheapest
approach would be to scrap LLNL and use Mir.

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (11/06/90)

In article <2666@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley)
writes:

   [ quoting Allen quoting me ]

   >How *is* LLNL planning to get astronauts up to the station?
   +Put a capsule on a Delta.
   >Are they planning to use the shuttle or develop their own spacecraft?
   +They plan to develop their own. For $200M they could buy a ACRV or
   +a Soyuz for $50M. We have built lots of capsules in the last 30 years
   +so I don't think it needs to be that expensive.
   -
   Soyuz is not available, how can LLNL have it in their plan ?   A
   capsule of $ 200 M is inadequate, as a minimum a Gemini type vehicle
   is required which is more like $ 2 - 3 B.  Remember you need long
   duration EVA, it may take a couple of weeks to get a failed LLNL
   fully deployed.

As I understand it, LLNL is not planning on developing a spacecraft
which can deploy the Earth Station under a "worst-case" scenario, just
a simple capsule which can get the astronauts into orbit.

It's prohibitively expensive to cover all possible failure modes.  The
worst case scenario for any space station is a launch explosion, but
in order to cover for this, you would need to make backups for all of
your modules.  Is this going to be done for Freedom?

Evidently, LLNL does not consider the possibility of a complete
deployment failure to be worth $2-3 B, which seems reasonable to me
since this would probably exceed the entire projected development cost
of the Earth Station.

     If we had access to Soyuz and Soviet technology, the cheapest
   approach would be to scrap LLNL and use Mir.

If you just wanted to do microgravity research, then this might be
true, but the Earth Station is not designed for microgravity research
-- it's designed for artificial gravity research and to support the
Gas Station as part of the larger mission to establish permanent
manned bases on both the moon and Mars.

In article <2666@polari.UUCP>:
>Soyuz is not available,

Yes it is. I spoke with a vice president of Space Commerce Inc. recently.
He told me that for $50M he would deliver you a Soyuz. I'm sure you could
also get a quanity discount.

>how can LLNL have it in their plan?

They don't as far as I know. I am only demonstrating that it can be done.

>A capsule of $ 200 M is inadequate, as a minimum a Gemini type vehicle
>is required which is more like $ 2 - 3 B.

You have yet to justify that number in any way. Why won't ACRV work?
Also, for $2 to 3 billion (assuming your numbers are correct) you could
build and launch ~5 Earth Stations. If the first one fails, the second
one will. This second one will be built and launched for less than the cost
of ONE shuttle flight.

>Remember you need long
>duration EVA, it may take a couple of weeks to get a failed LLNL
>fully deployed.

Or it might not. Skylab didn't need two weeks.

>  If we had access to Soyuz and Soviet technology, the cheapest
>approach would be to scrap LLNL and use Mir.

Mir does not provide artificial gravity. It is also not clear that
the Soviets would sell it (after all, it is starting to show a profit).

v071pzp4@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Craig L Cole) (11/06/90)

In article <2666@polari.UUCP>, crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes...

>>How *is* LLNL planning to get astronauts up to the station?
>+Put a capsule on a Delta.

Is LNLL sure the Delta can be made man-rated? Cheaply? Just throwing a
capsule on top of a Delta doesn't sound particularly safe. I know
Delta has a great launch record, but I doubt it was ever designed
for manned-flight.

Craig Cole
V071PZP4@UBVMS.BITNET
V071PZP4@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU

aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") (11/07/90)

In article <44579@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>:
>>>How *is* LLNL planning to get astronauts up to the station?
>>+Put a capsule on a Delta.

>Is LNLL sure the Delta can be made man-rated? Cheaply?

LLNL has no intention of man-rating whatever launchers they use. Since
the operational record of Titan and Delta is better than the Shuttle's
operational record and about equal to outside estimates of Shuttle
reliability there seems little point. Man rating adds cost but doesn't
add reliability.

>Just throwing a
>capsule on top of a Delta doesn't sound particularly safe. I know
>Delta has a great launch record, but I doubt it was ever designed
>for manned-flight.

If the vibration load on the crew isn't too bad, why not?

Consider two hypothetical launchers. One man rated which kills about
10% of the crews who fly on it in 100 flights. Another is not man-
rated and kills about 5% of the crews who fly on it in 100 flights.
Which would you rather fly on?

Now suppose that in 100 flights two other launch vehicles kill ~2%
of their crews (again, one is man-rated and the other isn't). The
man rated one costs four times as much to fly as the non rated one.
Which would you rather fly (assuming you are paying for the ticket)?

I myself would fly the non man-rated launcher in both cases.

jkonrath@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (jon) (11/07/90)

In article <9011061721.AA24422@iti.org> aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") writes:
>>>+Put a capsule on a Delta.
>
>>Is LNLL sure the Delta can be made man-rated? Cheaply?
>
>LLNL has no intention of man-rating whatever launchers they use. Since
>the operational record of Titan and Delta is better than the Shuttle's
>operational record and about equal to outside estimates of Shuttle
>reliability there seems little point. Man rating adds cost but doesn't
>add reliability.
>
>>Just throwing a
>>capsule on top of a Delta doesn't sound particularly safe. I know
>>Delta has a great launch record, but I doubt it was ever designed
>>for manned-flight.
>
>If the vibration load on the crew isn't too bad, why not?

its not just vibration load (which is probably too bad) its also the
acceleratation.  Most of the payload rockets made have way too high
acceleration rates for humans....even with gsuits/seats/etc..

sure, a chunk of metal and silicon can take it, but not a human....
one of the reasons most manned flights are liquid powered or use
way more advanced solid boosters....

JKONRATH@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
 if youre old fashioned (VMS) @rose.ucs.indiana.edu
   if just plain archaic (prime) @sbway.iusb.indiana.edu
     and if you can't even log in: 58319 Ironwood, Elkhart, IN 46516

disclaimer: these cannot be my thoughts, as someone still claims me on their
 taxes: furthermore, all comments were an act of God: sue your church

dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) (11/07/90)

In article <70202@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jkonrath@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (jon) writes (with regard to manned Delta):

>its not just vibration load (which is probably too bad) its also the
>acceleratation.  Most of the payload rockets made have way too high
>acceleration rates for humans....even with gsuits/seats/etc..

>sure, a chunk of metal and silicon can take it, but not a human....
>one of the reasons most manned flights are liquid powered or use
>way more advanced solid boosters....

Advanced solid boosters? Wow, sort of like a power-hungry libertarian,
I guess...

Phil

aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") (11/07/90)

In article <70202@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>:
>>If the vibration load on the crew isn't too bad, why not? [send people on
>>a Delta]

>its not just vibration load (which is probably too bad)

Or it may not be too bad. Anybody know for sure?

>its also the acceleratation.
>Most of the payload rockets made have way too high
>acceleration rates for humans....even with gsuits/seats/etc..

So what are the max Gs for Delta and Titan?

Tell you what, if you object to the solids we will use an Atlas.
It's a bit more expensive but it doesn't use solids, lifts more
than a Delta, and variants have flown men before.

>sure, a chunk of metal and silicon can take it, but not a human....

You may be right but so far it is unproven.

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/07/90)

In article <2666@polari.UUCP>:
>Soyuz is not available,
+Yes it is. I spoke with a vice president of Space Commerce Inc. recently.
+He told me that for $50M he +would deliver you a Soyuz. I'm sure you could
+also get a quanity discount.
-
That is not the problem.     US State Department technology
restrictions prohibit hi-tech co-operation with the Soviets.   US
aerospace companies and government agencies are not allowed to send
their employees to the USSR without an export license, which is
virtually impossible to get (with one exception, Payloads Systems Inc
managed to slip through the net and flew an experiment on Mir.   The
net has subsequently been tightened).
And US companies and government agencies are not allowed to permit
Soviet citizens to enter sites where aerospace work is being done.
  So you will get your Soyuz and maybe some manuals in Russian.
But nobody in the west will know how to launch or fly the thing, and
nobody from the USSR will be allowed to train the US personnel.
  If you don't believe me, ask the Australian Cape York Space Agency
what is giving them their biggest headache.....they want to get a US
company to operate Soviet Zenit launch vehicles, and the US State
Dept is saying - "forget it !"
-

>how can LLNL have it in their plan?
+They don't as far as I know. I am only demonstrating that it can be done.
-
So what DO they propose ?

+Also, for $2 to 3 billion (assuming your numbers are correct) you could
+build and launch ~5 Earth Stations. If the first one fails, the second
+one will. This second one will be built and launched for less than the cost
+of ONE shuttle flight.
-
I guess that is the cheapest approach, if you believe the costs.
But they will still need a $ 2 - 3 B crew shuttle and ACRV, it really
cannot be done for less, it needs to stand high G, re-entry, etc.
Non-trivial engineering issues.

>Remember you need long
>duration EVA, it may take a couple of weeks to get a failed LLNL
>fully deployed.
+Or it might not. Skylab didn't need two weeks.
-
They were lucky.   They did have two week capability if it had proven
necessary.

>  If we had access to Soyuz and Soviet technology, the cheapest
>approach would be to scrap LLNL and use Mir.
+Mir does not provide artificial gravity. It is also not clear that
+the Soviets would sell it (after all, it is starting to show a profit).
-
Now you are contradicting yourself.   You said congress wants a
microgravity facility and criticised NASA for "adding the kitchen
sink".   Then you advocate a LLNL where artifical gravity eliminates
all microgravity research capability........Artifical gravity is
neither necessary, nor helpful, for an Earth orbit station, where
crews are rotated every 90 days.

In article <2669@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:
>... (with one exception, Payloads Systems Inc
>managed to slip through the net and flew an experiment on Mir.   The
>net has subsequently been tightened).

References please.

They didn't "slip through", they got proper permission for everything
in advance, and as far as I know they're going ahead with their plans
to fly more.  Their payload is protein-crystallization experiments for
drug development, and their comment was that the precautions needed to
keep drug companies' materials secret from other companies far exceeded
what the US government asked for to keep them secret from the Soviets.

They also observed that the Soviets were willing to accept safety
certification from an independent US lab (something that NASA would
never have gone for).  This eliminated any need to tell the Soviets
what was inside the box or permit them to open it.

>  If you don't believe me, ask the Australian Cape York Space Agency
>what is giving them their biggest headache.....they want to get a US
>company to operate Soviet Zenit launch vehicles, and the US State
>Dept is saying - "forget it !"

References please.  United Space Boosters Inc. had their application
to participate approved a couple of months ago, admittedly after some
delay and dithering.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") (11/08/90)

In article <2669@polari.UUCP>:
>(with one exception, Payloads Systems Inc
>managed to slip through the net and flew an experiment on Mir.   The
>net has subsequently been tightened).

They didn't 'manage to slip through the net'. They followed the correct
procedures in an open and above board manner.

>And US companies and government agencies are not allowed to permit
>Soviet citizens to enter sites where aerospace work is being done.

Reports say that a Soviet Cosmonaut will fly on a Shuttle within
the next couple of years (a US Astronaut will also fly on Mir).

I wonder how we will get the Cosmonaut onto the shuttle without
allowing him onto a site where aerospace work is being done?

>  So you will get your Soyuz and maybe some manuals in Russian.
>But nobody in the west will know how to launch or fly the thing, and
>nobody from the USSR will be allowed to train the US personnel.

The US company operating Cape Your will get extensive training
on Zenit. Your statement here is minsiformed.

>  If you don't believe me, ask the Australian Cape York Space Agency
>what is giving them their biggest headache.....they want to get a US
>company to operate Soviet Zenit launch vehicles, and the US State
>Dept is saying - "forget it !"

Again, you're not up on current events. First of all, the State
Department was an early and strong supporter of Cape York, it was
DoD and Commerce who opposed it.

Second of all, Cape York is a done deal. It will be designed and
operated by a US company.

It's not as hard as it looks.

>But they will still need a $ 2 - 3 B crew shuttle and ACRV, it really
>cannot be done for less, it needs to stand high G, re-entry, etc.
>Non-trivial engineering issues.

You have yet to justify that number. Your last cost estimate for
Titan's was off by a factor of two.

>Artifical gravity is neither necessary, nor helpful, for an Earth orbit
>station, where crews are rotated every 90 days.

True enough. On the other hand, it would be nice if you want to keep
a crew up there for a year or so. Doing this would shave billions off
life cycle costs.

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (11/08/90)

In article <9011072124.AA13810@iti.org> aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") writes:
>In article <2669@polari.UUCP>:
>
>>And US companies and government agencies are not allowed to permit
>>Soviet citizens to enter sites where aerospace work is being done.
>
>Reports say that a Soviet Cosmonaut will fly on a Shuttle within
>the next couple of years (a US Astronaut will also fly on Mir).
>
>I wonder how we will get the Cosmonaut onto the shuttle without
>allowing him onto a site where aerospace work is being done?

  We recently (last month) had a group of Soviet citizens tour the
  facilities here at Langley. I certainly hope we aren't going to
  start disputing whether or not we here at LaRC are doing 'aerospace
  work' :)

 Ken Sheppardson                                  Email: kcs@sso.larc.nasa.gov
 Space Station Freedom Advanced Programs Office   Phone: (804) 864-7544
 NASA Langley Research Center                     FAX:   (804) 864-1975

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/08/90)

Payload Systems did indeed slip through the net.   What I mean by
that is that they did obtain an export license, but  the license
was issued by the Department of Commerce, and not by the Department
of State.    The latter was extremely annoyed, and had strong words
to say to the Dept of Commerce.
It is now highly unlikely that Commerce will want to incurr the wrath of
State again, and are not likely to issue any more licenses without State's
approval.
  Ref USBI and CYSA - there were lots of reports in the media in the
summer that  an export license had been issued to USBI.   However, I
never saw a formal announcement.   I attended the Vandeburg Space
Week conference at the end of July, where Norman Bowles, Associate
Director of Licensing Programs at the Department of
Transportation stated strongly that the reports in the media were
incorrect, and that no formal approval had been given.
  I still have not seen a formal announcement.     Have you ?

If on the other hand, USBI did get a license, then it sets a significant precedent.   I will investigate the possibility of buying stock in CYSA and/or
USBI, since with low cost soviets launch vehicles, they cost to orbit
will be unassailable.

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/09/90)

OOps, I guess government centers are not subject to the restrictions of
commercial companies.    The premise there I suppose is that government security centers have "better" security arrangements that commercial companies.
By thesame token, it should be that much easier for LLNL to launch their
staion using Soviet boosters, and to purchase  Soyuz vehicles, cheaper than developing their own.

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/09/90)

+this will be my last reply (nothing new is being said anyway). Mr.
+Radley is welcome to have the last word.
-
I found your posts most stimulating and enlightening, I hope you
will continue to share your news and thoughts as time
permits.

Let me add some "new" thoughts......

+My preference is to let them fight it out. Fund both until one is
+ up and working then kill the other. A little competition goes a
long way.
-
It looks more like Freedom and LLNL could be COMPLIMENTARY, since
they appear to have different missions.  The question is, which
mission(s) is/are the right ones.  I am opposed to  Mars missions,
but favor a lunar base processing lunar soil.  Since Great
Exploration is Mars oriented, I don't like it.

+BTW, how many space stations has your employer built? If the answer
is not at least 3 then I would say you don't have a track record
either.
-
My employer is not building a space station, and probably never
will. We have been making space mechanical subsystems for over 20
years.  Our customer, McDonnell Douglas, built Skylab, which was the
US's only space station.   The Freedom contractors have an average
of 20 years experience in large space systems.

+No I quote the original cost and schedule as provided to Congress
+ in 1984.
-
Congress was provided with  various estimates as the program
developed. 1984 was the Rockwell era.  Later, Phase-C was awarded
to a different consortium who quoted a different price.

+Freedom FEL comes up there will be TWENTY flights ahead of you. Is
+Freedom going to tell those people to take a hike?
-
It is similar to a planetary mission with fixed launch windows,
Ulysses and  Galileo got up on schedule, and other flights worked
around them.

+Actually, it makes micorgravity better. By putting the microgravity
+facility in a crew-tended free flyer it won't be subjected to the
+vibration which Freedom will subject it to.
-
True, but it won't benefit from continuous manned presence to fix
problems.  For a free-flyer to  fly "in-formation" with a nearby
manned base will require frequent disruptive thruster pulses, so it
is not totally quiet.  Otherwise it would have to rely on nodal
regression to rendezvous with a station, with weeks or months of no
human access.

>It also makes studies of biological effects of zero-g impossible.
+You could add a zero-G module in the middle if you want. Or if the
+LLNL station demonstrates the viability of the concept you can build
+large 0G stations for a very very small amount of money.
-
You get cheap empty shells, it costs plenty to fit them out with
state of the art scientific equipment. LLNL may be lighter and
cheaper  than using metal modules a' la Freedom, but most of
Freedom's weight and cost is in the science and support equipment,
the module structure is small fraction of the total.

+ [text deleted] Now if this redesign happens, I would tend to
+support it (provided commercial needs are met).
-
What commercial needs ? It puzzles me why people such as yourself
prefer a small station to a big one.  Every year Freedom's
capability is cut, and the schedule slipped.    We, the designers,
find it most frustrating. I think it would have been cheaper in the
long run to have built the station which was bid 4 years ago.
Since then congress has blown about 10,000 man-years of effort by
forcing annual redesigns.   And then people such as yourself blame
it on NASA and the contractors, AARGH !

+So tell me, what is the value of man rating when man rated systems
+end up being no safer but four times as expensive as the non-man
+rated ones?
-
That was not true of Mercury through Skylab, nor Vostok through Soyuz.

>You mean they will design, build and fly twelve precursor (Gemini)
>spacecraft to develop the technology,
+Yep. Those missions have already been flown (the program was called
+Gemini). That knowledge didn't just e+rase itself you know.
-
Gemini did not test inflatable space structures. Nobody has done
that.  Much of the Gemini heritage has been erased, try and get a
set of Gemini manufacturing drawings.

+The station flies up unmanned and inflates itself. When the
+environment is OK, people go on board. What's wrong with this?
-
Nothing that a full qual program can't fix :-)

>+Yep it has. Tell me, in 90 $$ how much does an Apollo capsule
>+cost? >The tooling for Apollo has been destroyed, and there are
>very few drawings left.  Apollo's cannot be built for all the tea
>in China. You will have to build a new  vehicle.
+You didn't answer my question. How much in 90 $$ does an Apollo CM
+cost? Please provide a source. After all, how can we estimate the
+true cost of developing a suitable capsule without looking at past
+experience?
-
I did answer, all-the-tea-in-china is a euphamism for "indeterminite
very high cost".  Nobody can give a numerical answer today. And why
do you want an obsolete museum peice ? New electronics and new
materials permit more lightweight designs.  Heck, those old Apollo
computers simply ain't available any more.  It is like asking
today's Detroit to build you a model-T Ford, even if they could
figure out how, it would take forever and nobody could afford to buy
one ! The Japanese and ESA concluded that a new winged mini-shuttle
is the answer and they talk $ 10s of Bs, NASA is not alone.
   A CM is not adequate because it could last about 30 minutes on
battery power, you would need an SM to go with it.

+Nope. A Titan III costs $125M list (Avation Week Jan 8, 1990 page
+43). A Titan IV is less than 200M (150M according to Tech. Review).
-
I stand corrected.

+Two Titans gives you more interior room than Freedom.
-
Interior volume is not particularly exciting, except for recreation.
Maybe useful if we ever get a space tourism industry up and running.
Right now more interested in maximum science for minimum weight and
cost.

>Pads 40 and 41 are already in use by USAF and commercial users.
>The launch rates you quote require at least one new additional pad.
+Yes the pads are in use. That doesn't mean they are unavailbe all
+the time. According to OTA, no new pads are needed to achieve this
+launch rate.
-
I have personal experience of a case where a Commercial Titan
launch was bumped by a military launch.   The pads are  already very
busy.  If Henry Spencer is correct, and State Dept awarded an export
license to USBI, then LLNL should be talking to them because Zenit
is much cheaper than HLV or Titan.

+Finally, I note that Mr. Radley has not made any major points
+against the LLNL approach. His only complaint, testing, is invalid
+because LLNL does do testing using methodologies considered
+adaaquate for Apollo. Mr. Radley has given no detailed assessment
+of why LLNL testing methodology is flawed for the level of risk
+assumed and his
-
Testing is neither my only nor my biggest complaint.    The
"biggie" is the total lack of any realistic proposal for a manned
ferry craft, $ 200 M doesn't cut the mustard, and US Law prohibits
collaboration with the Soviets, so forget Soyuz etc. I am not
familiar with LLNL's specific test approach, and you have not posted
anything specific for me to critique.   The costs quoted rule out
Apollo style testing.  To assume the first flight article will
inflate first time is optimistic.  And I said all along, my main
problem is the cost, not so much the technical approach.

+other comments indicate that he doesn't understand how the program works.
-
Probably true, have had trouble getting data.   Unwilling to
contact LLNL myself, very little available public domain.

leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (11/10/90)

In article <2688@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:
>+Freedom FEL comes up there will be TWENTY flights ahead of you. Is
>+Freedom going to tell those people to take a hike?
>-
>It is similar to a planetary mission with fixed launch windows,
>Ulysses and  Galileo got up on schedule, and other flights worked
>around them.

    I expect Fred will be as 'on schedule' as Galileo - first planned
for launch in 1982, slipped to the end of the decade due almost
entirely to shuttle-related problems including lack of suitable
shuttle-qualified upper stages and 3 years of downtime.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``Scientific progress goes "Boink"?'' - Hobbes

eempa@iceman.jcu.oz (M Parigi) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov7.175448.17819@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <2669@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:
> >  If you don't believe me, ask the Australian Cape York Space Agency
> >what is giving them their biggest headache.....they want to get a US
> >company to operate Soviet Zenit launch vehicles, and the US State
> >Dept is saying - "forget it !"
>
> References Please.
This is now been reduced to the second biggest headache! The aboriginals
(native Australians) who live in the general vicinity of the Cape York
Site are giving them the biggest headache. They think they own the whole
of Australia (their ancestors actually did) and they aren't going to move
from their wilderness paradise living off social security payments for
anyone (especially for "highly desructive developments"). The greenies
around here have given their cause a great deal of credibility. They
are opposing all developments here. Hopefully, public opinion will sway
against them. With our economy going into recession, this is just the sort
of high-tech development that we need more of.

Disclaimer:- a lot of people in my university disagree with me.

Marco Parigi, James Cook University of North Queensland

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (11/11/90)

Why not tell the aboriginies and the greens about this:-

Most launch sites are wildlife sanctuaries.

For example, Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,
and Vandenburg Air Force Base, all of which I know well first hand.

KSC is crawling with alligators, manatess, and birds of infinite
variety.  When working at KSC for Galileo preps there was a Shuttle
launch, and I watched the tourists line up in their thousands on the
causeway.  Little did they know, a couple of hundred metres behind
them was a waterway where I used to see a pair of alligators have
their morning swim on my daily commute.

(They have crocodiles in Queensland don't they ?)

   In all those locations the wildlife is protected from the
development going on outside.   Those launch sites all border on
prime real estate, which property develpers are overbuilding as fast
as they can.

Queensland is rather more remote, but with a booming tourist
industry, is slowly becoming more developed, and a launch site there
would protect the local ecology. Launch sites, for safety reasons,
tend to prefer large open space where rockets can explode and stages
can drop, and propellant can leak, without hurting people or property.

At Vandenburg a week ago I saw a heard of wild deer next to the
flight line, and a single Roe deer in the middle of the industrial
area.  There is also a small pride of mountain lions in a canyon
behind the Atlas pads on the south base.

gnb@bby.oz.au (Gregory N. Bond) (11/12/90)

Charles> Why not tell the aboriginies and the greens about this:-
Charles>
Charles> Most launch sites are wildlife sanctuaries.

More to the point, the site chosen is not virgin wilderness, but has
been a pastoral lease for years and years.  In fact, one of the
hurdles was (is?) a contract dispute over who has title to the land
and who can sell/lease it to CYSA (worth a considerable sum of money).

This doesn't seem to impress either greenies of aboriginal activists.

What will kill the project, assuming it ever gets past the luddites,
is that it is principally a _property development_, not a spaceport.
And there is no money for investing in property at the moment.

Greg.
--
Gregory Bond, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: gnb@melba.bby.oz.au    non-MX: gnb%melba.bby.oz@uunet.uu.net

schaper@pnet51.orb.mn.org (S Schaper) (11/13/90)

Why not let the free-flyer be the one to orbit without the thruster
corrections, except for the ones necessary to maintain orbit, let the manned
platform do the formation flying? That may turn out necessary for Freedom as
ell
to have the materials sciences on a separate platform - an expanded Columbus,
and let the manned platform do the biological experiments and have the SEI
and OMV's to service the Columbus and EOS platforms.  Perhaps an LLNL spun
section could be added to the station. Even sent up first to house astronauts
for construction phase? Thoughts, as this is also problematic.

Could Hermes be launched from an upgraded Titan IV (LRB's)? We could purchase
some for crew transfer, freeing the aging shuttle fleet for what it does best.

Zeitgeist Busters!

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!schaper
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!schaper@nosc.mil
INET: schaper@pnet51.cts.com