[sci.space] The Ariane V36 failure

lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Ronald E. Graham) (11/10/90)

I included sci.engr in this follow-up, hoping for some extra technical
insight.  The original posting was sent to sci.space and sci.astro.

In article <1990Nov9.145517.1891@cc.ic.ac.uk>, zmapj36@cc.ic.ac.uk
     (M. S. Bennett) writes...

[From an article entitled "Ariane Returns to Business" by Neville Kidger...]

>     Arianespace, the company which markets and flies the Ariane launcher,
>has resumed operations following the loss of the V36 launcher in February
>1990.
>     The loss of the rocket - with two Japanese commercial satellites
>aboard - was found to have been due to the presence of a piece of cloth
>in the water supply line to one of the four Viking first stage engines.

I've never been part of a failure investigation (thankfully ;-)) since I
joined NASA, so I don't know much about the procedure.  I hope someone can
offer insight on the following questions:

(1) the failure was due to a piece of cloth.  How could this have been
    isolated after the failure?
(2) what is the mechanism by which a piece of cloth was able to cause the
    failure?  By that I mean
    - was the cloth of sufficient size/porosity to totally restrict water
      flow?  or did it have to be?
    - how is a piece of cloth able to be in the water line anyway?
    - what is the sequence of events leading to the failure, given the
      presence of the cloth?
(3) how can Arianespace ensure no repeat of this mechanism/sequence of
    events?

Please don't give any over-simplified answers like "they screwed up," or
"they need to look harder."  Unless (3) absolutely requires a very simple
answer.  I won't assume you know what you're talking about.  And, if there
are some answers out there, I will gladly summarize.

RG - lvron@earth (or mars, or saturn - your choice) .lerc.nasa.gov

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (11/12/90)

> lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>
> [commenting on a report that a piece of cloth in a water-line to an engine
> caused the Ariane V36 failure on February 22]
>
> I've never been part of a failure investigation (thankfully ;-)) since I
> joined NASA, so I don't know much about the procedure.  I hope someone can
> offer insight on the following questions:
>
> (1) the failure was due to a piece of cloth.  How could this have been
>     isolated after the failure?
> (2) what is the mechanism by which a piece of cloth was able to cause the
>     failure?  By that I mean
>     - was the cloth of sufficient size/porosity to totally restrict water
>       flow?  or did it have to be?
>     - how is a piece of cloth able to be in the water line anyway?
>     - what is the sequence of events leading to the failure, given the
>       presence of the cloth?
> (3) how can Arianespace ensure no repeat of this mechanism/sequence of
>     events?

     The following information, abbreviated from 3 issues of Spaceflight, may
be of interest.

May, 1990:
     The Ariane V36 Inquiry Board has presented its findings.  They identify a
blocked water line as the cause of the accident.  The launcher exploded shortly
after its launch on February 22. ...  The loss of the mission was due to the
decrease in thrust of one of the four Viking V motors on the first stage.  The
drop in thrust occurred 6.2 seconds after motor ignition.  It was due to an
almost total obstruction of the water feeding circuit of Viking motor D.  The
engine itself is not at fault.  The obstruction occurred upstream of the motor
before the water pump.  The precise cause of the obstruction is either a
foreign object in the pipe or a failure of the main water valve.      [The
article goes on to talk about how debris from the exploded launcher fell at the
shoreline and just off-shore of the launch site.]       A search of mangrove
swamps in zone 2 located some 350 different objects from the first, second and
third stages.  In particular, this search located external tubing of engine D
as well as water tank elements.  The first stage propulsion bay along with the
four Viking motors was found.  Despite extremely difficult conditions, the
suspect elements of the water circuit were recoverd shortly before this issue
of Spaceflight went to press.

June, 1990:
     The loss of Ariane V36 was caused by a small piece of cloth that blocked
the water supply to one of the vehicle's first stage engines.  ...  The rag was
probably left in the pipe when the tubing was dismantled and readjusted during
first stage integration before transfer to French Guiana.  Arianespace Chairman
Frederic c'Allest said the cause of the failure was "not only shocking but hard
to accept."

September, 1990:
     The investigation into the loss of V36 revealed that a first stage engine
lost thrust because a small piece of cloth blocked a water pipe.  In an
unconnected incident a small fire broke out in one of the strap-on liquid
boosters due to a fuel leak. From flight V37, the water line and the N2O4 feed
line of each engine will be examined.  The inspection will take place at
Kourou, using a fibroscope type video camera with integrated light source. ...
Additional leak checks were made on the first stage and strap-on fuel lines to
ensure that there was no repeat of the fire on the previous mission.  Also, new
thermal protection inside the propulsion bays of the first stage will protect
electrical systems in the event of a fire.

Spaceflight is an excellent journal received by members of the British
Interplanetary Society. Address: 27/29 South Lambeth Road, London, SW8 1SZ,
England.

     My understanding is that as the engine lost thrust, the remaining engines
gimbeled to correct for the thrust imbalance.  When the running engines reached
the end of their gimbel limits the vehicle could no longer be kept on course,
and in effect started to skid sideways through the air.  Breakup due to
aerodynamic forces followed shortly.  What I have not been able to find out is
why Viking engines need a water supply.  This is presumably for cooling,
however I have never heard of an engine that used anything other than its own
propellants as a cooling source.  Can someone familiar with the Viking engine
explain the function of the water, and what happens when its supply is
interrupted.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

In article <1990Nov10.151130.29117@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>(1) the failure was due to a piece of cloth.  How could this have been
>    isolated after the failure?

They pinned down possible causes based on the symptoms, and then went through
the recovered debris very carefully, and found the cloth.

>(2) what is the mechanism by which a piece of cloth was able to cause the
>    failure?  By that I mean
>    - was the cloth of sufficient size/porosity to totally restrict water
>      flow?  or did it have to be?

I believe it was large enough and solid enough to completely block the line.
We're not talking about 30-cm pipes here.

>    - how is a piece of cloth able to be in the water line anyway?

Good question.  Nobody knows for sure.  The obvious possibility is some
minor blunder during manufacturing.  If that's the case, there is little
hope that the person responsible will ever admit it.

>    - what is the sequence of events leading to the failure, given the
>      presence of the cloth?

Water flow to one engine chokes off, chamber pressure and thrust in that
engine drop, the other engines gimbal farther and farther to compensate,
eventually they hit their gimbal limits and the booster starts to turn,
and the attempt to fly sideways exceeds its structural limits and it
breaks up.

>(3) how can Arianespace ensure no repeat of this mechanism/sequence of
>    events?

The usual:  more care during manufacturing, more thorough inspections,
and some managerial changes to clarify who's responsible for that water
line (one company had hold of each end and nobody was in charge of the
whole thing).
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

herve@cvl.umd.edu (Jean-Yves Herve') (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.185458.5052@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1990Nov10.151130.29117@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>>(1) the failure was due to a piece of cloth.  How could this have been
>>    isolated after the failure?

>They pinned down possible causes based on the symptoms, and then went through
>the recovered debris very carefully, and found the cloth.

I seem to remember reading some report stating that the piece of cloth was
clean (which meant it hadn't been used for cleaning parts and been forgotten
there). Now, how clean can a piece of cloth found among debris be?
Or is my memory playing tricks again?

Jean-Yves Herve'
herve@urdr.umd.edu

mikemr@microsoft.UUCP (Michael MRAZ) (11/15/90)

I'd sure like to know what water is doing in a propulsion system.
I don't know anything about the Ariane, but I've never heard
of water used for anything other than cooling the pad or quenching
astronaut/cosmonaut thirsts. ;->  Can anyone enlighten me, please?