Date:  2 Aug 84 05:40:24 PDT
From: Mailer.PA
To: duntemann.wbst
Subject: Undeliverable mail

Unable to deliver msg to SF-LOVERS@RUTGERS.ARPA at RUTGERS.ARPA within a
reasonable amount of time.

The text of your message was
--------------------
From: duntemann.wbst
Date: 30-Jul-84 13:13:49 EDT
Subject: SF-LOVERS input
To: SF-LOVERS@RUTGERS.ARPA

I got this back for reasons unknown.  Just trying again...

----------

Date: 27 Jul 84 09:43:40 PDT
From: Mailer.PA
To: duntemann.wbst

From: duntemann.wbst
Date: 25-Jul-84 12:19:52 EDT
Subject: Fuzzies and Other Sequels
To: SF-LOVERS@RUTGERS.ARPA

I just finished FUZZIES AND OTHER PEOPLE, the "lost" Fuzzies novel by
H. Beam Piper.  I can summarize the plot without it being any spoiler at
all:  Fuzzies run around and have fun; some of them get into trouble
and get out again; everybody lives happily ever after.

I guess none of that should come as a surprise.

This is an interesting novel for another reason entirely:  It was found
in a paper box labeled "pencil stubs" or "old bills" or "Christmas
cards" or something.  Poor, distraught Piper put the manuscript in the
wrong box and forgot about it in those last dark days before he blew his
brains out.  So the story goes.  I have another theory:  I think Piper
was ashamed of the book and hid it while he decided what could be done
with it.

The book is utterly flat.  It tells us nothing about Fuzzies that we
didn't
already know.  It tells us nothing about any of the major characters
(Jack Holloway, Pancho Ybarra, Gerd Riebeck, the whole crowd of them
sort
'of stand around and smoke cigarettes through the whole book) nor does
it show
any major character learning anything, or undergoing any kind of
personality
change.  Nobody gains anything.  Nobody loses anything.  Nothing
seems to matter a whit.

As I closed the book, I found myself devoutly wishing that no further
book
on Fuzzies will ever be written.  Not because I don't enjoy
Fuzzies; I've read LITTLE FUZZY seven or eight times now.  But the story
has been told.  There simply isn't anything more in it.

I wished it because, if Fuzzies get too popular, the publishing industry
will smell money and make a series out of it:  FUZZIES #5: THE ZATKU
PLAGUE
by Alan Dean Foster and Jack Chalker.  If you get my drift...

FUZZIES AND OTHER PEOPLE solidifed my hatred of sequels for all time.
A story starts somewhere, goes somewhere, and ends somewhere.  Somone
gains,
someone loses, someone learns; some truth is told.  Then the story is
finished.  A sequel, on the other hand, is a mechanical exercise which
places familiar characters in a familiar setting and makes them dance
one more dance.  No one dares change anything too much, because the
existence of one sequel implies the possibility of more.

Star Trek, which like all television-born fiction is nothing
but a series of sequels without an original work, can get away with
what it does because nobody really expects anything like a
story in Star Trek; one expects a stock collection of
archetypes to do predictable things within a tighly-bounded sphere
of possibility.  What surprises are there are minimized because they
have
no ultimate effects.  Spock can't die; too many 14-year-olds would jump
off of bridges.  So you bring the chap back from the dead.  Nothing
lost.  Nothing changed.

Star Wars had the good sense to End.  It was shallow, but it
went somewhere.  Dune, which was a medioche work to begin with,
will continue to spurt vapid sequels like a Gremlin undergoing
Chinese water torture until Herbert has the good sense to die or become
real estate broker.  Dune, like Trek, has become high-tech soap opera;
each time a new sequel appears I read three pages and groan.

Worst of all, sequels can drag an original work down iunto the mud.
2010 hangs from 2001 like a titanium albatross; the crisp irony of
2001's closing is gone forever.

Building a new world from scratch is bold and risky.  Endless
slogging through old ones is safe and cowardly.  Piper's response was
best:  If you write a sequel, put it in a box.  If all you can write
are sequels, it's time to move on to something else.

--Jeff Duntemann
  duntemann.wbst@xerox