[sci.space] Sea Level RL-10s

serre@boulder.Colorado.EDU (SERRE GLENN) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov16.211340.27611@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>A badly overexpanded nozzle causes the gas flow to break away from the
>nozzle wall before reaching the end, which causes all manner of nasty
>turbulence and problems of various kinds.  The SSME nozzles are in fact

There is, however, one good effect from separation in an overexpanded nozzle:
If the flow didn't separate (which it usually does at ~0.4 times ambient)
then the exit pressure would be even lowe, resulting in a greater loss of
thrust (compared to the separated case).

>>to adapting the RL-10 to operate at sea level.  Is this a good example of

>In principle, all you need is a shorter nozzle, although you have to think
>about things like the effect on the cooling system.  There may be some
>issues in ignition, too.

Since the RL-10 "bootstraps" on ignition (uses energy from tank pressurization
to spin-up the turbines), you'd have to pressurize the fuel and ox tanks to
about 20 lbs/in2 over atmospheric (for the Centaur G-prime RL-10s).  I can't
imagine that this would be a problem, though.

Trivia and ramblings from

--Glenn Serre
gaserre@nyx.cs.du.edu   (serre@tramp.colorado.edu will disappear soon. :-( )