[sci.space] New Shuttle Engines

brettvs@blake.u.washington.edu (Brett Vansteenwyk) (11/11/90)

Not long ago it was noted that the first of Endeavour's engines had arrived
at KSC.  Some mention was made that these engines were "new and improved".
I was hoping that more would be said to elaborate on this, but I will go
ahead and pound out a few questions...

[1].Are these new engines useable in the older shuttles?  It would seem
important considering the considerable swapping of engines and their parts
that seems to go on in the refurbishment process.

[2].Are these engines part of a more "mature" system?  In other words, has
there been a batch of changes made to the manufacture/design of these "new"
engines that will improve their servicability and ease of refurbishment?

[3].(Slight rehash from [2]).  While the SSME's have not been a particular
saftety problem (in hindsight, at least relative to the SRB's), their turn-
around launch to launch has been a nightmare for costs--so much of each
engine needs to be rebuilt.  This seems to stem from the fact that this
design pushed the envelope for efficiency and thrust to weight ratio.
This engine has been in use for almost 10 years, and it would seem
that it could be classified as a "mature" system by now--a learning curve
with subsequent reduction in refurbishment costs as well as a more reliable
engine.  Is there evidence to indicate that this has happened?  If not so
far, will these new engines allow hope for that to happen in the future?

[4].Whenever I see any discussion about new launcher development, I never,
or almost never see any suggestion to using the SSME's, nor do I see any
indication of an engine derived from SSME technology.  The tendency is
to discuss systems originating 25 or even 30 years back.  I am assuming
that the SSME was the most recent major engine development.  Has all the
time and talent spent to make the SSME work been wasted on what is now
considered an evolutionary dead-end?  While it may seem disconcerting,
it seems where the evidence is pointing.

[5].If not the evolutionary dead-end as postulated in [4], could there be
an SSME derivative for an expendable launcher, or a restartable version
for purposes similar to the Saturn 3rd stage system?  (All in all, is
it meaningful to think of derivatives of this technology since this is
the newest technology by far?)

	Just some random thoughts.
		--Brett Van Steenwyk

In article <10948@milton.u.washington.edu> brettvs@blake.u.washington.edu (Brett Vansteenwyk) writes:
>Not long ago it was noted that the first of Endeavour's engines had arrived
>at KSC.  Some mention was made that these engines were "new and improved".

Don't read too much into this.  There has been no major design change, just
a bunch of small incremental improvements.

>[1].Are these new engines useable in the older shuttles? ...

Yes.

>[2].Are these engines part of a more "mature" system?  In other words, has
>there been a batch of changes made to the manufacture/design of these "new"
>engines that will improve their servicability and ease of refurbishment?

That's the hope.  Considering the magnitude of the failure to meet the
original targets in these areas, there is room for a lot of improvement.

>This engine has been in use for almost 10 years, and it would seem
>that it could be classified as a "mature" system by now--a learning curve
>with subsequent reduction in refurbishment costs as well as a more reliable
>engine.  Is there evidence to indicate that this has happened? ...

Well, maybe some.  The thing you learn from the learning curve in this
case is really "these things will never be wonderful without major redesign".

>[4].Whenever I see any discussion about new launcher development, I never,
>or almost never see any suggestion to using the SSME's, nor do I see any
>indication of an engine derived from SSME technology.  The tendency is
>to discuss systems originating 25 or even 30 years back.  I am assuming
>that the SSME was the most recent major engine development.  Has all the
>time and talent spent to make the SSME work been wasted on what is now
>considered an evolutionary dead-end? ...

Very nearly.  The Japanese decided to adopt a similar approach (although
a from-scratch design) for their H-2 booster, and are now regretting it.
Most everyone else proposing new launchers wants to use less ambitious
and more dependable engines, either old ones or new developments.  The
SSME concept wasn't bad in principle, and maybe it is the wave of the
future if you're patient enough, but making it work well seems to be
exceedingly difficult today.  Certainly the SSME itself shows no signs
of ever becoming particularly cheap.

>[5].If not the evolutionary dead-end as postulated in [4], could there be
>an SSME derivative for an expendable launcher...

The definitive Shuttle C proposal wanted to use life-expired shuttle engines
in an expendable launcher.  The Hughes/Boeing Jarvis proposal also used
expendable SSMEs, after they tried very hard to come up with a viable
scheme for reviving the F-1 and J-2 and couldn't make it work.  The SSME
is just too expensive to be a good expendable engine, though.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.190528.5893@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

HS>in an expendable launcher.  The Hughes/Boeing Jarvis proposal also used
HS>expendable SSMEs, after they tried very hard to come up with a viable
HS>scheme for reviving the F-1 and J-2 and couldn't make it work.  The SSME
HS>is just too expensive to be a good expendable engine, though.

?

I was under the impression that the reason Jarvis was not built,
in either 'incarnation,' was because of political reasons. After all,
isn't the shuttle the most capable vehicle ever built?

Phil

In article <DLBRES10.90Nov13163343@pc.usl.edu> dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) writes:
>HS>in an expendable launcher.  The Hughes/Boeing Jarvis proposal also used
>HS>expendable SSMEs, after they tried very hard to come up with a viable
>HS>scheme for reviving the F-1 and J-2 and couldn't make it work.  The SSME
>HS>is just too expensive to be a good expendable engine, though.
>
>I was under the impression that the reason Jarvis was not built,
>in either 'incarnation,' was because of political reasons...

Well, sort of.  The fundamental problem was the lack of customers.
Hughes/Boeing was perfectly happy to foot the development bill, given
enough "launch customers" [pun unintentional] to justify it.  But the
government wasn't interested, in the end.

A contributing factor, probably, was excessive reliance on shuttle
technology that was under the political control of people who weren't
keen on the idea.  Even the original F-1/J-2 concept used tankage based
on the shuttle ET.
--

gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.190528.5893@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>The definitive Shuttle C proposal wanted to use life-expired shuttle engines
>in an expendable launcher.  The Hughes/Boeing Jarvis proposal also used
>expendable SSMEs, after they tried very hard to come up with a viable
>scheme for reviving the F-1 and J-2 and couldn't make it work.  The SSME
>is just too expensive to be a good expendable engine, though.

I can understand why reviving the Saturn program would be damn near impossible,
but what problems were encountered with reviving just the F-1 engine program?

gregc@cimage.com

In article <1990Nov14.071003.24567@cimage.com> gregc@dgsi.UUCP (Greg Cronau/10000) writes:
>>... The Hughes/Boeing Jarvis proposal also used
>>expendable SSMEs, after they tried very hard to come up with a viable
>>scheme for reviving the F-1 and J-2 and couldn't make it work...
>
>I can understand why reviving the Saturn program would be damn near impossible,
>but what problems were encountered with reviving just the F-1 engine program?

Basically, a subset of the problems with reviving the Saturn.  The hardware
was long out of production and quite a bit of tooling and knowledge about
production processes and operations had gotten lost.  It would have required
extensive re-engineering and re-testing to produce flight-qualified engines.

(Some people may not realize just how difficult it is to duplicate a modern
high-tech product without full manufacturing data.  The problem is not that
you can't figure out what shape the turbopump blades (for example) should be,
but that it's very hard to reverse-engineer the exact heat-treatment process
used to make them durable enough.  Especially if the subcontractor who made
them has gone out of business and all records have been lost.)

People who were involved tell me that Boeing tried *very* hard to use the
old engine designs, to avoid the SSMEs and SRBs, but just could not come
up with a plan that looked economically viable.
--

megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.071003.24567@cimage.com> gregc@dgsi.UUCP (Greg Cronau/10000) writes:
>In article <1990Nov13.190528.5893@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>The definitive Shuttle C proposal wanted to use life-expired shuttle engines

What is the status of the Shuttle-C program now?
>I can understand why reviving the Saturn program would be damn near impossible,
>but what problems were encountered with reviving just the F-1 engine program?

I heard that NASA 'lost' the plans to the F1 and that the private companies
that are interested in the engine are going through the long a tiring process
of reverse engineering one. Seems the plans were lost during the early stage
of shuttle development, around the time officials were looking at dumb
boosters again. hmmmm.

#  "Calling Garland operator 7G," EVE           Email megazone@wpi.wpi.edu    #
# MEGAZONE, aka DAYTONA, aka BRIAN BIKOWICZ     Bitnet Use a gateway. Sorry.  #

In article <1990Nov15.024856.24199@wpi.WPI.EDU> megazone@wpi.WPI.EDU (MEGAZONE 23) writes:
>>>The definitive Shuttle C proposal wanted to use life-expired shuttle engines
>
>What is the status of the Shuttle-C program now?

Stalled, pending funding.  It doesn't help that a whole lot of irrelevancies
got loaded in on top of the basic Shuttle C design in the funding plan.  It
would almost make you think that somebody didn't want it to succeed...
--

gwh@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.173318.7370@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>What is the status of the Shuttle-C program now?
>
>Stalled, pending funding.  It doesn't help that a whole lot of irrelevancies
>got loaded in on top of the basic Shuttle C design in the funding plan.  It
>would almost make you think that somebody didn't want it to succeed...

Various people are doing work on it.  Even Martin Marietta is working on one
(the four-engine 100-ton to LEO shuttle Z).  But, it isn't getting funding.
Despite being a great way to put Freedom up in one chunk 8-)
	[well, with the current design tossout, maybe not, ...]

  == George William Herbert ==   **There are only two truly infinite things,**
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  *   the universe and stupidity.  And I am   *
=======Anywhere, My Price======= *  unsure about the universe.  -A.Einstein  *
 ==   gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu   ==  *********************************************
  ==     ucbvax!ocf!gwh     == The OCF Gang:  Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today

brettvs@blake.u.washington.edu (Brett Vansteenwyk) (11/16/90)

My impression was (especially from reading Feynman's book) that the SSMEs were
virtually rebuilt after each launch--the component parts going into a system
of inspection and repair such that when a given engine was rebuilt, many
of the pieces in the new build came from other engines that were also in the
rebuild process at the time--the original engine's parts by and large would
not find one another again, except for statistical chance.  It seemed that
each engine was disassembled into some pretty small pieces, where they could
be inspected, repaired, etc., and that the rebuild was as involved as building
a new engine.  Cracked turbine blades were a big item here.  Anyway, this is
what I referred to as the "enormous refurbishment cost".  If this sort of
undertaking is no longer as extensive as I have described, then it would
seem that these engines have come quite a way, and would be quite happy
to hear of it.

I am curious as to how much of a design difficulty it is to have an engine
operate (well or otherwise) at both sea level and in the vacuum (just a matter
of ambient pressure or much more?).  If this is a heavy constraint, why light
the SSMEs at sea level at all when it would seem that you could replace
that thrust (1/6 or so of the total) by adding another booster and then
lighting them high up at, say, the booster separation?  I realize that there
is a certain reluctance to tacking on an SRB, but if LRBs get developed,
could this become a viable option?

By the way, I remember that there is some consideration (or ongoing effort)
to adapting the RL-10 to operate at sea level.  Is this a good example of
this sort of design "difficulty"?

[Really random question]  Aside from the weight consideration, how close do
automobile turbochargers come to the operating conditions of their
counterparts (with a stretch of the imagination) in some of the lower
performance rocket engines?

		--Brett Van Steenwyk

tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup)) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov14.071003.24567@cimage.com>, gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau) writes...

>I can understand why reviving the Saturn program would be damn near impossible,
>but what problems were encountered with reviving just the F-1 engine program?

In addition to lost documentation and tooling costs, two areas I am aware of
are:

1) Air pollution. The F-1 burns LOX and kerosene, producing a smoky hydrocarbon
exhaust. Not popular with environmentalists, especially in S. California where
the Rocketdyne test labs are located.

2) F-1 production test facilities were located in the San Fernando valley
(turbopumps at Rocketdyne/Santa Susana) and Edwards AFB (full-up
engine tests). These
facilities are way past the inactive stage - they have been either torn
down or become completely derelict. You are talking 100's of millions of
dollars (IMHO) to refurbish them.

In article <11236@milton.u.washington.edu> brettvs@blake.u.washington.edu (Brett Vansteenwyk) writes:
>I am curious as to how much of a design difficulty it is to have an engine
>operate (well or otherwise) at both sea level and in the vacuum ...

It's not an enormously big deal, but it is a nuisance.  Ignoring some
details, one gets maximum thrust out of a given exhaust stream if it
exits the nozzle at roughly ambient pressure.  This means that a nozzle
optimized for high altitude will be a good bit longer than a sea-level
nozzle, to give the gas more expansion.  An underexpanded nozzle, with
the gas exiting at higher than ambient, results in some loss of thrust.
A badly overexpanded nozzle causes the gas flow to break away from the
nozzle wall before reaching the end, which causes all manner of nasty
turbulence and problems of various kinds.  The SSME nozzles are in fact
mildly overexpanded for use at sea level, for the sake of performance
at high altitude, but not enough to cause major trouble.

Multiple stages, with upper stages ignited only at high altitude, offer
somewhat of a way out of this.  The first stage is still a compromise,
because it finishes its burn in much thinner air than it started in,
but the upper stages can use fairly uncompromised high-altitude nozzles.
People have explored more devious schemes, like variable-length nozzles,
but no real use has been made of them yet.

>... If this is a heavy constraint, why light
>the SSMEs at sea level at all ...

One very important practical reason is that the #1 time for engine trouble
is at ignition.  Lighting the SSMEs on the pad means that the more benign
kinds of engine failures simply cause a pad abort.  There may also have been
some hope that gimballing the SSMEs would suffice for control, and the SRBs
wouldn't need gimballed nozzles, although in fact that didn't pan out.

>By the way, I remember that there is some consideration (or ongoing effort)
>to adapting the RL-10 to operate at sea level.  Is this a good example of
>this sort of design "difficulty"?

In principle, all you need is a shorter nozzle, although you have to think
about things like the effect on the cooling system.  There may be some
issues in ignition, too.
--

iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) (11/19/90)

>>but what problems were encountered with reviving just the F-1 engine program?
>
>In addition to lost documentation and tooling costs, two areas I am aware of
>are:

For that matter, why would anyone want to revive the F1? OK, so maybe it
should never have been scrapped, but if the US suddenly needed a big F1 type
engine, they could just go and buy one off the Russians - or the ESA if the
former option is still too unpalateable to the powers-that-be in the US...

It would be better to look ahead - not back. And in future, don't scrap
known technology just because you want to move ahead.

Someone (Henry probably) once pointed out that the existing shuttle could
be massively improved (and lightened) by use of newer computers,
newer engines etc etc. When asked though, NASA insisted on only more
of what it already had - even for building Endeavour.

*That* is not the way forward.

Steve                                             |  WALES: "Land of Song
iiitsh@pyr.swan.ac.uk                             |   and Rugby^H^H^H^H^H
..or in Britain, where we drive on the other side:|    Ice Hockey"
iiitsh@uk.ac.swan.pyr                             |

nak@cbnews.att.com (Neil A. Kirby) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov16.175907.18177@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup)) writes:

> 2) F-1 production test facilities were located in the San Fernando valley
> (turbopumps at Rocketdyne/Santa Susana) and Edwards AFB (full-up
> engine tests). These
> facilities are way past the inactive stage - they have been either torn
> down or become completely derelict. You are talking 100's of millions of
> dollars (IMHO) to refurbish them.

Out of curiousity, would the test area at Stennis Space Center (in
Mississippi) be able to do some of the testing?  Stennis tests every SSME,
and the test stands for the Saturn V stack elements are still there.

Neil Kirby
...att!archie!nak

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov16.175907.18177@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov:
> In <1990Nov14.071003.24567@cimage.com>, gregc@cimage.com (Greg Cronau):
> > I can understand why reviving the Saturn program would be damn near
> > impossible, but what problems were encountered with reviving just the
> > F-1 engine program?

> 2) F-1 production test facilities were located in the San Fernando valley
> (turbopumps at Rocketdyne/Santa Susana) and Edwards AFB (full-up engine
> tests). These facilities are way past the inactive stage - they have been
> either torn down or become completely derelict.

On a related note, I recently toured the NASA Stines Center in Mississippi
where NASA tests & certifies the shuttle engines.  The buildings that
housed the test facilities for the Saturn engines are still there, but
they have long since been converted for other uses.  The second stage
test building now houses a rather deep water tank that is used to test
sensors used in ocean research.  The only thing that appears to be left
from Saturn and Apollo are some blast staines on the concrete.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

loren@dweasel.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (11/20/90)

In article <2154@cybaswan.UUCP> iiitsh@cybaswan.UUCP (Steve Hosgood) writes:

>Someone (Henry probably) once pointed out that the existing shuttle could
>be massively improved (and lightened) by use of newer computers,
>newer engines etc etc. When asked though, NASA insisted on only more
>of what it already had - even for building Endeavour.
>
>*That* is not the way forward.

	True, but this is equipment that has to work EXTREMELY
reliably, all because of the people on board. So that's why NASA has
stuck to its older, clumsier hardware. I guess that's why unmanned
spacecraft will still be necessary -- there is less to lose with
failure.

	I know someone elsewhere in LLNL who knows of a Lab project
that is to be sent up on a Pegasus rocket. To LEO, a Pegasus can send
up about 500 kg, if I remember correctly. Furthermore, there is only a
six-month wait for the Pegasus, as opposed to a three-year wait for
the Shuttle. He also told me that, because it was unmanned, they could
design it closer to performance limits. Thus, they could use 1/2 burst
pressure in one place, as opposed to 1/5 burst pressure for a Shuttle
payload. Currently, with about $6m per Pegasus and 500 kg to LEO, it
works out to $1200 per kilo -- more than competitive with the Shuttle.

Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu