[net.sf-lovers] Kirk's future with Starfleet

wdr@security.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (08/07/84)

>From:   Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

>  Kirk's future with Starfleet isn't necessarily as bleak as some people
>suggest. Remember that in any Navy that ever has existed (and presumably,
>ever will exist) rank and promotion at the command level depends in
>large part on political influence.

>     In this case, it is quite likely that Kirk will have the Vulcans in
>his corner, as welll as some of the other races he and his crew helped
>at various times. Starfleet may not like it, but it is quite possible
>they will find the most expedient  thing to do is to gloss over the
>whole incident. After all, Kirk's action kept a potentially devastating
>weapon out of the hands of an implacable enemyy [sic] of the Federation.

D*** straight!  The Vulcan Ambassador, no less, personally benefitted.
If the theft was never leaked to the press, their should be no problem.
On the other hand, if the press is out for blood, Kirk & Sarek may be
jointly sacrificed.  But "The Adventure Continues".  It wouldn't be
the first time Kirk has been [almost?] court-martialed.  But how can
ILM get any business on a Politics & Legal movie?

--

  William Ricker
  wdr@mitre-bedford.ARPA					(MIL)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".