[sci.space] SPACE Digest V12 #649

JPERRY@CEBAF2.CEBAF.GOV ("JOHN E. PERRY") (12/14/90)

Nick Szabo writes:

>What is left?  What vapor customers can be conjured up now?  The long
>search for the mythological Space Station Application is over.

>Fred is dead.  Let the Space Age begin.

I don't know about organizations, but I see a space station (not Fred, of
course) as a requirement for real space exploration--along with real space-
going vehicles and propulsion systems, like a nuclear rocket. I noticed a few
years ago a paper that analyzed a number of propulsion systems, and concluded
that NERVA as it was when it was abandoned to provide money for the Apollo
Boondoggle was a more efficient extra-atmospheric transfer vehicle than any
current concept.

I think we had the best possible space exploration plan in the fifties before
it was trashed to pay for Kennedy's Folly.
		--John Perry	jperry@cebaf2.cebaf.gov