[sci.space] call for discussion - FAQ topics

dant@mtdoom.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) (12/15/90)

leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:

>I'd like to propose some new FAQ topics. Perhaps with this as a starting
>point we can evolve a good set and get volunteers to write them up for
>Eugene's list.
>
>    - Current space legislation of import.

There's not as much posted in the way of questions asked on this as
there is lobbying for support.  I'm not sure that inclusion in an FAQ
will reduce that noticeably.

At any rate, this kind of info requires periodic update by someone with
a pipeline to the sources of change.  As a keeper of an FAQ for another
group (sf-lovers), I've avoided questions like this mostly because I
have no access to that kind of info, but also because I just don't have
the time to keep changing the list.  Things may change sufficiently
slowly in the space arena that it's not as much a problem (I doubt it,
though).

>    - Planetary probes (Larry Klaes did a nice one which I recall Eugene
>	posting in the past, it should still be available).

Eugene still posts it periodically, I believe.  It could use a better
internal organization, but that's a different issue.

>    - Sources for digitized HST etc. images, and explanation of why
>	digital data is not immediately available; ordering info
>	for the Voyager CD.

Amen to this.

>	More topics, suggestions, and so forth?

How about the effects of explosive decompression on the human body.

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@mtdoom.WR.TEK.COM

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (12/15/90)

In article <18088@thorin.cs.unc.edu> leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:

   In article <1990Dec10.115957.21727@nas.nasa.gov>, eugene@nas.nasa.gov
   (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
   |>You can make it change.  Just discuss the changes on the net, then mail the
   |>resolution to me.

   I'd like to propose some new FAQ topics.

       - Sources for digitized HST etc. images, and explanation of why
	   digital data is not immediately available; ordering info
	   for the Voyager CD.

And related to this, how about a directory of net archive sites for
space images?  (GIFs, rasters, etc.)  Especially since every request
for such images is followed-up by a half dozen "me too"'s...

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

aws@ITI.ORG ("Allen W. Sherzer") (12/15/90)

In article <4528@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM>:

>>I'd like to propose some new FAQ topics...

>>    - Current space legislation of import.

>At any rate, this kind of info requires periodic update by someone with
>a pipeline to the sources of change.

Well if people want to see legislation included in FAQ, I'm willing to
write it and keep it current.

>Things may change sufficiently slowly in the space arena that it's not
>as much a problem (I doubt it, though).

Depends. Current status will change every month especially (I hope) in
the 102nd Congress. What bills are on the docket doesn't change much.

   Allen

| Allen W. Sherzer | If guns are outlawed, how will we shoot the liberals?  |
|   aws@iti.org    |                                                        |