[sci.space] Recent Newsstand Magazine Articles

lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) (12/31/90)

While we're on the subject, I noticed in Time that the New York Times
failed in its attempt to get the tapes of the Challenger's final moments
released, with NASA arguing that the privacy of the astronauts' families
demanded that they be kept secret.  I'm curious; have the families
actually said this?  I recall that in the immediate aftermath, at least
one family was attempting to get them released for use in a suit against
NASA.

I don't particularly want the tapes released, but I'd like to know that
there was an honest transcript.

--
Laura Burchard    lhb6v@virginia.edu    lhb6v@virginia.bitnet
October 3:  After 45 bitter years of separation, East and West Germany

lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) (01/02/91)

In article <4280@mindlink.UUCP> a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) writes:
>Laura, I agree with your question.  If NASA doesn't have sworn statements from
>families and/or authorized representatives then I don't know how they can make
>specific claims.  On a more general scope, secrecy is usually the tip of an
>"iceberg" associated with fear(s).  If so, wonder what the fear(s) may be.

It's a small article, so I'll reprint it all.  On rereading it, I note
that it doesn't actually specify privacy of families, but that was NASA's
line last I heard, and I can't imagine who else's privacy would be involved.

From the Grapevine section of Time, December 24, 1990
"Challenger:  The Final Words"

Nearly five years after the event, the legal wrangling continues over
audiotapes of the space shuttle Challenger's final moments.  Several
news organizations (including Time) sued NASA under the Freedom of
Information Act to disclose certain aspects of its investigation into
the accident.  Most eventually withdrew their actions, but the New York
Times has continued to petition for tapes to back up a NASA transcript
of cabin conversation.  In the official version, the final comment is
pilot Michael Smith's "uh-oh," indicating he might have been aware of
impending danger.  A federal appeals court agreed with NASA that
releasing the voice material would constitute an invasion of privacy.
George Freeman, a Times lawyer, says the paper has not decided if it
will appeal.  But a NASA investigator has confirmed suspicions that the
astronauts were conscious of their fate, and that among the last words
from the craft were those of one astronaut saying to another, "Give me
your hand."

Now, just because someone leaked it doesn't mean it's true, but it
wouldn't be inconsistent with the evidence of the breathing packs that
they were alive and at least briefly conscious.

As to what NASA might be afraid of;  they don't want people to be
any madder at them then they are now, and this would certainly put
them in a poor light, particularly because of their decision not to
install an escape system.  Not that I think that almost certainly injured
astronauts would have much chance to escape from a badly damaged,
tumbling cabin with the current system.  Still, I would prefer to
have the chance to try, even if only for the distraction.  Two and half
minutes is a long, long time to helplessly wait to die.

--

In article <1991Jan1.195102.7391@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) writes:
>"... a NASA investigator has confirmed suspicions that the
>astronauts were conscious of their fate, and that among the last words
>from the craft were those of one astronaut saying to another, "Give me
>your hand."

I would class this as somewhat improbable, given that the recorder was not
battery powered and hence lost power immediately when the breakup began.

Such a request also strikes me as seriously out of character for the sort
of people who become astronauts.  Yes, even Christa McAuliffe.

Much more likely is the suggestion that Smith's "uh-oh" was really more
along the lines of "oh shit", apparently the most common "last words" in
such situations.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

In article <1991Jan2.015229.2177@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Jan1.195102.7391@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) writes:
>>"... a NASA investigator has confirmed suspicions that the
>>astronauts were conscious of their fate, and that among the last words
>>from the craft were those of one astronaut saying to another, "Give me
>>your hand."

>I would class this as somewhat improbable, given that the recorder was not
>battery powered and hence lost power immediately when the breakup began.

Like I said; just because it's leaked doesn't mean it's true, and major
disasters due tend to be breeding grounds for rumor.  One of my history
of Apollo books notes that the Apollo 1 fire led to rumors far more
gruesome than the reality.  On the other hand, NASA's behavior before
and after Challenger doesn't lead one to much comforting faith in
the verity of their pronouncements (no insult meant to you personally,
Henry) and considerable cynicism about their ability to cover their
asses.

>Such a request also strikes me as seriously out of character for the sort
>of people who become astronauts.  Yes, even Christa McAuliffe.
>Much more likely is the suggestion that Smith's "uh-oh" was really more
>along the lines of "oh shit", apparently the most common "last words" in
>such situations.

Don't know enough about astronauts to psychoanalyze them.  I would find
it unlikely in the case of a crew working to survive, but not totally
impossible in the case of a crew waiting.  I'll agree that it sounds
a trifle romanticized.

As for the "uh-oh"; that I'll believe, from the evidence of air crash
investigators.

--

davet@tsdiag.ccur.com (Dave Tiller N2KAU) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan2.034718.12451@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> lhb6v@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Laura Hayes Burchard) writes:
-
-As for the "uh-oh"; that I'll believe, from the evidence of air crash
-investigators.
-

Is that kinda like the "fiddlesticks" in the official translation of the
Russian pilot's communications after firing a missle or two at Korean Airlines
flight 007?

--
David E. Tiller         davet@tsdiag.ccur.com  | Concurrent Computer Corp.
FAX:  201-870-5952      Ph: (201) 870-4119 (w) | 2 Crescent Place, M/S 117