[sci.space] solar cells

loren@dweasel.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (01/03/91)

	The issue of chemical vs. nuclear poisons was brought up yet
again. I feel that this anti-nuclear allergy that too many people have
will someday be remembered as one of the irrational phenomena of our
time. But I doubt that it is worse that the turn-of-the-century
enthusiasm for patent medicines made from radium and other radioactive
materials.

	As to chemical poisons being decomposable, that depends on
what kind of chemical poison. Heavy metals cannot be chemically
decomposed. And some chemical poisons are difficult to decompose, such
as chlorinated hydrocarbons. The persistence of certain pesticides
like DDT should be well known. True, DDT and other such
non-biodegradable substances can be burned at high temperature, but
burning at high temperature is just that.

	I remember some years back that the EPA was hoping to burn
some toxic wastes in a ship at sea, but some environmentalists didn't
like that idea very much.

	I keep on being amazed by the anti-RTG movement. They complain
that those who send up RTG's on spacecraft have not done comprehensive
studies of possible alternatives. Yet I wonder if the anti-RTG people
have done anything similar. Consider the difficulties of doing
maintenance on a spacecraft, which usually cannot be brought back to
its designers. Millions of dollars and months of work go into
designing some spacecraft, so it is important that they be likely to
keep on working. One should try to use components that need as little
maintenance as possible, and RTG's fit the bill very well. They are
continuously "on" and have no moving parts. Solar cells are one common
alternative, but they tend to degrade over time and they cannot be
used in the outer Solar System, due to the extreme dilution of
sunlight there. A focused-sunlight system would have several problems.
A mirror would have to be kept pointing at the Sun, and the generating
system has an abundance of moving parts, which are an all-too-familiar
maintenance headache. There is also the problem of replenishing leaked
working fluid. And I am not aware of any focused-sunlight system that
has ever been used in a spacecraft.

	Chemical reactions are out of the question. Buth fuel and
oxidizer would have to be taken along, which would add a serious
amount of weight for a months-long mission. The power sources usually
have an abundance of moving parts, and would have to be made redundant
for the sake of safety (if one breaks down, the others could keep on
moving). Batteries have a minimum of moving parts, but they usually
have a very low available power to mass ratio (ask any designer of a
battery-powered car). Fuel cells are relatively efficient, but even
they have moving-part problems, and they require liquid hydrogen and
oxygen, which must be kept away from heat. Systems using combustion
can use fuels and oxidizers that are liquid at room temperature, but
they also suffer from problems with moving parts -- consider typical
turbines and piston engines.

	So either solar cells or RTG's are the way to go for
spacecraft. I presume that this is the standard argument.

	In fairness to opponents of nuclear energy, I think that there
is a sociological question to be considered. Most nuclear energy has
been handled as large-scale projects. Simply consider how big a
typical nuclear reactor is and how long it takes to build one. Big
organizations have to justify their policies, and they often make
excuses for keeping on doing what they have been doing. And they
sometimes seem insensitive and arrogant. It's just what computers have
seemed like in their early years, before personal computers became
common.

	And on the issue of safety, one should ask what kinds of
critical tests are possible. It is much easier to perform really tough
tests on an RTG than on a nuclear reactor, so one may feel more
confidence in their safety.

	And another possible difficulty with solar cells -- how much
energy does it take to make them? They would not be too good if the
amount of energy needed to make them was only equal to their output
for several years of running. Has that question ever been addressed?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (01/04/91)

>	The issue of chemical vs. nuclear poisons was brought up yet
>again. I feel that this anti-nuclear allergy that too many people have
>will someday be remembered as one of the irrational phenomena of our
>time. But I doubt that it is worse that the turn-of-the-century
>enthusiasm for patent medicines made from radium and other radioactive
>materials.

  I don't think the "allergy" is irrational given 3-mile island,
Chernobyl, lists of missing nuclear fuel, 55 gallon drums of nuclear waste
carelessly spewn across the ocean floor (& associated tales of using rifles
to shoot holes in drums that wouldn't sink), etc.
  Radioactive materials are dangerous to complex organisms, and the more
RM that is around, the more dangerous it is (the probability of an
accident increases).

>	As to chemical poisons being decomposable, that depends on
>what kind of chemical poison. Heavy metals cannot be chemically
>decomposed. And some chemical poisons are difficult to decompose, such

  Heavy metals don't need to be decomposed - they can be refined and reused.

>as chlorinated hydrocarbons. The persistence of certain pesticides
>like DDT should be well known. True, DDT and other such
>non-biodegradable substances can be burned at high temperature, but
>burning at high temperature is just that.

  What we can make, we can unmake.  I don't think the environment should be
responsible for decomposing the unnatural chemical compounds that we
introduce into it.
  The cost of "unmaking" is very high, mainly because it is cheaper in the
short run to just discard the waste byproducts.  In the long run, these
byproducts will come back to haunt us - cf. Lovecanal, DDT, etc.

>	I remember some years back that the EPA was hoping to burn
>some toxic wastes in a ship at sea, but some environmentalists didn't
>like that idea very much.

  I can't imagine why.

>	I keep on being amazed by the anti-RTG movement. They complain

  What is RTG?

>that those who send up RTG's on spacecraft have not done comprehensive

  A nuclear power plant?

>studies of possible alternatives. Yet I wonder if the anti-RTG people
>have done anything similar. Consider the difficulties of doing
>maintenance on a spacecraft, which usually cannot be brought back to
>its designers. Millions of dollars and months of work go into
>designing some spacecraft, so it is important that they be likely to
>keep on working. One should try to use components that need as little
>maintenance as possible, and RTG's fit the bill very well. They are
>continuously "on" and have no moving parts. Solar cells are one common
> [solar cells degrade]
> [focused sunlight systems require lots of moving parts]
>	Chemical reactions are out of the question. Buth fuel and
>[good reasons deleted]
>moving). Batteries have a minimum of moving parts, but they usually
>have a very low available power to mass ratio (ask any designer of a
>battery-powered car). Fuel cells are relatively efficient, but even
>they have moving-part problems, and they require liquid hydrogen and
>oxygen, which must be kept away from heat. Systems using combustion
>can use fuels and oxidizers that are liquid at room temperature, but
>they also suffer from problems with moving parts -- consider typical
>turbines and piston engines.
>
>	So either solar cells or RTG's are the way to go for
>spacecraft. I presume that this is the standard argument.

  Hmmm...why not ground or space power generation for those satellites
that orbit the earth & moon?  Deep space satellites are of little concern
here because once they leave, they're gone for good.

  RTGs (assuming they are small nuclear plants) are dangerous in any orbit
that decays before the nuclear fuel becomes non-radioactive.

>	In fairness to opponents of nuclear energy, I think that there

  This is war buddy....you know the saying... :)

>	And on the issue of safety, one should ask what kinds of
>critical tests are possible. It is much easier to perform really tough
>tests on an RTG than on a nuclear reactor, so one may feel more
>confidence in their safety.

  I still don't like the idea of a blob of nuclear goop falling from the
sky into my living room. :)

>	And another possible difficulty with solar cells -- how much
>energy does it take to make them? They would not be too good if the
>amount of energy needed to make them was only equal to their output
>for several years of running. Has that question ever been addressed?

  If the energy is free, who cares how much it took to make them?

>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
>Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov
>
>Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:
>
>loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

  The real question (as I see it) is the *TRUE* cost.  Burning fossil fuels
is cheaper than solar, nuclear is cheaper then solar, almost everything
is cheaper than solar if only the current fuel costs are looked at.  If the
total cost of burning fossil fuels, using nuclear energy, etc is
totalled, solar will come out the clear winner.

Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

jdnicoll@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (Brian or James) (01/04/91)

In article <37550@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

	(tons of RTG and nuclear power stuff deleted)

>>	And another possible difficulty with solar cells -- how much
>>energy does it take to make them? They would not be too good if the
>>amount of energy needed to make them was only equal to their output
>>for several years of running. Has that question ever been addressed?
>
>  If the energy is free, who cares how much it took to make them?

	*Sigh* Let's say that a solar cell takes 10 arbitrary energy
units to make. Let's say it produces 9 AEU during its life. That means
every time you install one, the net cost to the power production system
is one AEU. Things that use up more of a resource than they produce do
not, on the whole, make good sources for that resource.

	It's reasoning like Mr. Hughes' that gives the anti-nuclear
folks a bad name.

							James Nicoll

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (01/05/91)

In article <37550@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:

>  I don't think the "allergy" is irrational given 3-mile island,
>Chernobyl, lists of missing nuclear fuel, 55 gallon drums of nuclear waste

Actually Three Mile Island showed that primary confinement works even in
an induced loss of cooling accident. Chernobyl showed that even the worst
scenario put up by the anti-nukes, core meltdown, *no* confinement,
and a core fire for God's sake, didn't result in the fearmongers predicted
mega-deaths.

>>	As to chemical poisons being decomposable, that depends on
>>what kind of chemical poison. Heavy metals cannot be chemically
>>decomposed. And some chemical poisons are difficult to decompose, such
>
>  Heavy metals don't need to be decomposed - they can be refined and reused.

So can nuclear fuels, but we're soooo scared we don't.

>>	I keep on being amazed by the anti-RTG movement. They complain
>
>  What is RTG?

Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator. A completely sealed, no moving
parts, no active control system, lump of radioactive material that
gives off enough heat through natural radioactive decay to heat a
thermopile enough to generate useful amounts of electrical power.

>>	So either solar cells or RTG's are the way to go for
>>spacecraft. I presume that this is the standard argument.
>
>  Hmmm...why not ground or space power generation for those satellites
>that orbit the earth & moon?  Deep space satellites are of little concern
>here because once they leave, they're gone for good.

Beamed power has been very strongly opposed by the enviornmentalists because
of the supposed danger of the microwave power beam used to transmit the
energy. Or were you planning to use a *really* long extension cord.

>  RTGs (assuming they are small nuclear plants) are dangerous in any orbit
>that decays before the nuclear fuel becomes non-radioactive.

RTGs are designed to survive rentry without breaching their sealed shielding.
The designs used have been exhaustively tested by actually sending
dummy units up and causing them to renter. They work.

>>	And on the issue of safety, one should ask what kinds of
>>critical tests are possible. It is much easier to perform really tough
>>tests on an RTG than on a nuclear reactor, so one may feel more
>>confidence in their safety.
>
>  I still don't like the idea of a blob of nuclear goop falling from the
>sky into my living room. :)

Hook a couple of leads to it and run your computer off of it for a few
years. Now that's a UPS!

>>	And another possible difficulty with solar cells -- how much
>>energy does it take to make them? They would not be too good if the
>>amount of energy needed to make them was only equal to their output
>>for several years of running. Has that question ever been addressed?
>
>  If the energy is free, who cares how much it took to make them?

If it takes more fossil fuel to manufacture them than they will produce
over their operating lifetime you care. And it does take more energy
to manufacture them than they produce over their lifetime. They are
net energy losers. Also the manufacture of solar cells requires some
very nasty chemicals that must be disposed of after manufacture.

>  The real question (as I see it) is the *TRUE* cost.  Burning fossil fuels
>is cheaper than solar, nuclear is cheaper then solar, almost everything
>is cheaper than solar if only the current fuel costs are looked at.  If the
>total cost of burning fossil fuels, using nuclear energy, etc is
>totalled, solar will come out the clear winner.
>
>Charles_K_Hughes@cup.portal.com

For solar cells the answer is a clear no on an energy basis and an
enviornmental basis. For solar boilers driving freon turbines the
energy cost is a net win. But the enviornmental costs are bad considering
what the inevitable freon leaks will do to the ozone layer. Maintence
costs in general are high since efficiency is very low and you need a
lot of them to produce useful power. Perhaps the worst effect of using
large scale solar energy to replace fossil fuels or nuclear plants is the
effect on the climate. By placing large arrays of solar cells or solar
turbines on the surface of the earth, you dramatically change the reflectivity
of the earth in that area. A good solar collector absorbs almost all of the
solar energy striking it and reradiates very little thus creating a
hotspot in the local enviornment. The effects on the weather of the several
hundred square miles of solar collectors needed to replace one nuclear
plant should be spectacular.

Gary

cage@fmeed1.UUCP (Russ Cage) (01/05/91)

In article <37550@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) writes:
>  I don't think the "allergy" is irrational given 3-mile island,
>Chernobyl, lists of missing nuclear fuel, 55 gallon drums of nuclear waste
>carelessly spewn across the ocean floor (& associated tales of using rifles
>to shoot holes in drums that wouldn't sink), etc.

Three-Mile Island neither killed nor harmed anyone.  It was
also about the worst possible accident for that reactor type.

Chernobyl was a bad design, and thus a special case.  Just
because an airplane built by an idiot is likely to crash and
kill him does not mean all airplanes are dangerous.

Lists of "missing" nuclear fuel can mean nothing more than
bookkeeping errors.  They do not imply hazard except to
the hysterical; nuclear fuel != nuclear bombs.

Said drums sound like an apocryphal horror story.  However, a
steel drum would not last long in the sea, and would be crushed
by ocean-floor pressure anyway.  If it contained, say, machine
parts with enough air space to float it, shooting holes in it
to sink it is perfectly reasonable.  (A barrel full of heavy
sludge wouldn't float.)

>  Radioactive materials are dangerous to complex organisms, and the more
>RM that is around, the more dangerous it is (the probability of an
>accident increases).

Really?  Then tell me why there have been far more medical
disasters (Minimata (sp?) syndrome) caused by chemical poisons
than by nuclear ones?

>  Heavy metals don't need to be decomposed - they can be refined and reused.

How are you going to refine the 5 ppm of lead in your drinking
water into metallic lead for re-use?  Do you have any concept
of the thermodynamic property of ENTROPY, and the ENERGY input
required to reduce it?  I thought not.

>  What we can make, we can unmake.  I don't think the environment should be
>responsible for decomposing the unnatural chemical compounds that we
>introduce into it.

The nice thing about short-lived radionuclides is that they
un-make themselves, and many of them have useful properties
while so doing.  (Iodine for radio-immuno-assays and treatment
of thyroid disorders.  Cobalt for radiation therapy and food
preservation.  Krypton for lights which require no power, for
safer roads in remote places.)

>  The cost of "unmaking" is very high, mainly because it is cheaper in the
>short run to just discard the waste byproducts.  In the long run, these
>byproducts will come back to haunt us - cf. Lovecanal, DDT, etc.

Yet another reason why nuclear power is a good idea.  For a few
tons of material per year (which is EASY to track, comparatively),
you can avoid using millions of tons of something else which is
likely to yield chemical poisons like Love Canal's sometime
during its production or use.

>  What is RTG?
>  A nuclear power plant?

RTG = Radioisotope Thermal Generator.  They are not "reactors";
they generate power using the heat given off by certain isotopes,
which are refined from spent nuclear fuel.  These are ideal for
powering space probes which go far from the sun, and are yet
another useful byproduct of nuclear power.

>  Hmmm...why not ground or space power generation for those satellites
>that orbit the earth & moon?  Deep space satellites are of little concern
>here because once they leave, they're gone for good.

Satellites built for trips inside Mars orbit typically use solar
cells.  Galileo (bound for Jupiter) and Ulysses (heading for the
south pole of the Sun via Jupiter), plus the Pioneer and Voyager
probes (remember the Voyager-Saturn encounter on TV?) are all