[sci.space] shuttle was answer

dil@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Perry G Ramsey) (01/14/91)

In article <20900@crg5.UUCP>, szabo@crg5.UUCP (Nick Szabo) writes:
> In article <91009.085316GIPP@GECRDVM1.BITNET> GIPP@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com writes:
> >Henry Spencer quips:
> >-if the space shuttle was the answer, what was the question-
> >How about:
> >what is a bargain compared to many of the other Gov't "spending"
>
> Ah, the good old "they're wasting money so we can waste money too!"

Don't forget the most important resource being wasted:  smart people.
Because our technical staff is running around trying to keep the
inappropriately designed shuttle in the air, (or quitting the business
out of frustration like yours truly), they aren't available to
make better stuff or get down to the real business of making
a go of space flight.  Just because HHS wastes hecto-gigabucks doesn't
make NASA's waste of deca-gigabucks an inconesquential loss.

--
Perry G. Ramsey           Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
perryr@vm.cc.purdue.edu   Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN USA