[net.sf-lovers] Nyota Uhura & the Star Trek canon

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (08/09/84)

From:  boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Jerry Boyajian)

> From: Andrew D. Sigel <sigel%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
> Subject: Star Trek -- Canon and Deadwood

> Well, now Uhura HAS a first name.  In Diane Duane's MY ENEMY, MY
> ALLY, it is Nyota Uhura....
> ...as far as I'm concerned, she's Nyota Uhura, and I hope the
> next movie or movie adaptation confirms it, because she's needed a
> first name for nearly 20 years.  Three cheers for Diane Duane.
> ...she gave Uhura a first name...

While I have no wish to denigrate the contributions of Diane
Duane to the Star Trek universe, I feel obliged to point out
that she was *not* the person who gave Uhura a first name.
Giving credit where credit is due, it was William Rotsler.
	Back when STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN was released,
Simon and Schuster, owners of Pocket Books and thus the Star
Trek publishing rights, published under their Wanderer Books
("juvenile") imprint three tie-in books, all trade paperbacks
by William Rotsler. One was a collection of short stories, all
taking place, if I remember correctly, while the *Enterprise*
is returning to Earth from Genesis. The second was one of those
ubiquitous "choose-your-own-adventure" interactive fiction books.
The third was a series of biographical sketches of the various
Trek characters. It was in *this* book that Uhura was given the
first name Nyota. It is to Duane's credit that she acknowledged
this contribution to the Star Trek mythos.
	BTW, the bio book is pretty awful in general. A good
part of it is synopses of various episodes that had signifi-
cance to the lives of one character or another. There are also
numerous "excerpts" from non-existent books written about or by
the various characters. The bibliography in the back is a scream
if you can get all of the hidden references to real sf authors
and big-name fans.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!
	decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA