[sci.space] Confusion regarding "Firm Fred Decisions"

lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov (Ronald E. Graham) (02/06/91)

Any confusion resulting from the posting "Firm Fred Decisions" I will take
the blame for.  It turns out that I had correct information, but not
comprehensive information.  Here is the skinny:

o  The SSF program is being divided into three stand-alone phases, for
   budget purposes: man-tended capability (MTC), permanently-manned
   capability (PMC), and EMCC, whatever that stands for.  The term "stand-
   alone" I think means that each phase will be funded separately, with
   the results of the first being used to determine whether/for how much
   the subsequent phases will be funded, etc.

o  Solar Dynamic and FTS have been stopped, as I stated before.

o  The 18.75 kW power capability at MTC I mentioned previously is a number
   recommended for five years after beginning-of-life (BOL).  At BOL, they
   think 37.5 kW will be achieved.

o  The truss is to be pre-integrated (PIT), saving mucho EVA during assembly.

o  Some component and acceptance testing in the Electrical Power System (EPS)
   is to be deleted.  If anybody cares, I'll get back to you on that.

o  In the six-year period from fiscal 1991-96, a program cost reduction of
   ~$6 billion is anticipated.

Posted with minimal comment by RG

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.203323.14738@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>
     lvron@earth.lerc.nasa.gov writes:

>Any confusion resulting from the posting "Firm Fred Decisions" I will take
>the blame for.  It turns out that I had correct information, but not
>comprehensive information.

   Let me just point out that the orinal list included...

     "o the budget is now for man-tended capability (MTC) only"

     "o a lab module will exist only at MTC"

     "o there will be no habitation module or nodes"

     "o no [PMC] equipment or growth planned"

>Here is the skinny:
>
>o  The SSF program is being divided into three stand-alone phases, for
>   budget purposes: man-tended capability (MTC), permanently-manned
>   capability (PMC), and EMCC, whatever that stands for.  The term "stand-
>   alone" I think means that each phase will be funded separately, with
>   the results of the first being used to determine whether/for how much
>   the subsequent phases will be funded, etc.

   Hopefully this bullet will clear up any confusion resulting from
   the original list. There are, in fact, plans to go beyond MTC;there
   will, in fact, be additional lab space beyond MTC;there will be hab
   space and nodes;PMC is still part of the program.

   [ EMCC - Eight-Man Crew Capability ]

>o  Solar Dynamic and FTS have been stopped, as I stated before.

   I don't believe Solar Dynamic was part of the baseline (post-ISPDR)
   program to begin with, was it ? We've [almost] always used it in growth
   configurations beyond the baseline AC 75 kW, but since growth beyond
   AC hasn't been a requirement (for the last few years) was SD beyond
   the 'technology development' phase ?

   Is the $10M for solar dynamic power research set aside in the '91
   budget [Source: VA/HUD/IA House-Senate Conference Report HR101-900]
   an increase or decrease from '90 funding ?

   Of course the same report lists $106.3M for FTS, so those numberse
   could be out-the-window by now.

>o  The 18.75 kW power capability at MTC I mentioned previously is a number
>   recommended for five years after beginning-of-life (BOL).  At BOL, they
>   think 37.5 kW will be achieved.

   Is this a change from baseline ? Hasn't BOL power always been greater
   than the 18.75/37.5/75 kW available at MTC/PMC/AC respectively ? Do you
   have before/after Restructuring number to compare with?

   ('available' => power available at DDCU [DC/DC Conversion Unit ?] output,
    right ?. Actual power off the PVs is significantly greater, isn't it ?
    Do you happen to have the overall efficiency number ? BTW, do you happen
    to know how much the PVs were widened/lengthened as a result of Turbo ?)

>o  The truss is to be pre-integrated (PIT), saving mucho EVA during assembly.

   Just to avoid confusion, PIT -> Pre-Integrated Truss.

   Another language change: The 'Transverse Boom' shall from this date
   forward be refered to as the 'Transverse BEAM'. [Source: presentations
   given by Bensimon and Moorehead to Lenoir in late January]

>o  Some component and acceptance testing in the Electrical Power System (EPS)
>   is to be deleted.  If anybody cares, I'll get back to you on that.
>
>o  In the six-year period from fiscal 1991-96, a program cost reduction of
>   ~$6 billion is anticipated.
>
>Posted with minimal comment by RG

  Unsolicited comments added by:

 Ken Sheppardson                                  Email: kcs@sso.larc.nasa.gov
 Space Station Freedom Advanced Programs Office   Phone: (804) 864-7544
 NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA         FAX:   (804) 864-1975