[sci.space] Spy satellite coverage of the Gulf

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (02/05/91)

From article <14230@ganymede.inmos.co.uk>, by conor@lion.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill):
> I realise that the real details are almost certainly classified, but I would
> like to get some feel for the answers:
Yes they are, so ALL that follows is based on open sources, and may be wrong.

> 1) How many US/Allied spy satellites are likely to be targetted on the Gulf?
Only US has spy satellites in coalition unless you count France which
has SPOT. 4 KH11 & 1 Lacrosse are the usually quoted numbers, but these
identifications are more uncertain than they are sometimes made out to
be.

KH11 are photographic, Lacrosse is radar.

> 4) What sort of resolution?
> Can they count buildings? (Yes, it seems)
yes.

> Can they count vehicles?  (maybe?)
yes.

> Can they recognise different types of vehicles?
yes. c.f leaked pictures of planes, ships.

> Can they count men?
reports suggest that they can, at least approximately.

> Can they see an Iraqi soldier scratching his nose?
Probably not.

> 5) Are they affected by the dark, or by cloud cover, or is much of the
> sensing done in the Infra Red?
Radar isn't, apparently, I think IR will be affected by cloud cover
though. Maybe somebody who knows about weather satellites can help.

> 6) Can they really detect missile and airplane launches,
> or is this done by AWACS?
Only the geostationary (DSP) early warning satellites do this, q.v Aviation
Week a couple of weeks ago.

> 7) A point was made that if you knew when the satellite was due, you could
> simply hide under a bridge for 10 minutes. How true is this, and
> are the Iraqis likely to be able to determine enough orbital information
> to do this?
Depends on how good friends they remain with Russians, at a guess ?

> 8) Any other information which is available about spy satellites.
Go to library and do author search under D. Ball, J. Richelson & W. E. Burrows.
Enjoy.

Nick
--

awtron@strawber.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Tron D-313 x3749) (02/07/91)

In article <4409@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
>From article <14230@ganymede.inmos.co.uk>, by conor@lion.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill):
>> 5) Are they affected by the dark, or by cloud cover, or is much of the
>> sensing done in the Infra Red?
>Radar isn't, apparently, I think IR will be affected by cloud cover
>though. Maybe somebody who knows about weather satellites can help.

Water does a very good job of absorbing infra-red.  That's why you only
see infra-red telescopes at very high altitudes (to get above the water
vapour at lower altitudes) or in space.

Infra-red images are useful for weather satellites:  an infra-red image
can give you the temperatere of the highest layer of cloud, which can then
be translated to the height said cloud.  This is useful for predicting the
severity of thunderstorms (i.e high tops == severe thunderstorms).  I got
this info when I visited an FAA flight service station once.

Never trust a pilot with clean hands.| Andrew Tron at Princeton University
Never address a major international  | awtron@phoenix.princeton.edu (Internet)
terrorist as "Bubbi".                | uunet!phoenix!awtron         (UUCP)

Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) (02/07/91)

In article <4409@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) writes:
> From article <14230@ganymede.inmos.co.uk>, by conor@lion.inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill):
>> I realise that the real details are almost certainly classified, but I would
>> like to get some feel for the answers:
>> 5) Are they affected by the dark, or by cloud cover, or is much of the
>> sensing done in the Infra Red?
> Radar isn't, apparently, I think IR will be affected by cloud cover
> though. Maybe somebody who knows about weather satellites can help.

Nothing classified here....

Visible sensors obviously only work during the daytime.  Depending on the
type of orbit, the satellite can be in sunlight for up to about 50% of the
time (sun-synchronous orbit).  I don't know the altitude of the KH-11, but
I imagine it would be low, to maximise image spatial resolution.  This
probably means it does not have a sun-synchronous orbit.  They are usually at
an altitude of 850 km or so.

Infrared sensors are usable both in the day and the night, although if you
want to see targets such as vehicles or people, you would want to do it at
night when the ground is cooler than the objects you are trying to see.
Weather sensors have a different kind of emphasis than an recon imaging system
would have.  Meteorologists are typically more concerned about knowing the
temperature of a given pixel accurately, rather than the spatial resolution
of that pixel.

Most kinds of clouds are either partly or completely opaque to both
visible and infrared radiation - you can't see the ground through them.

I don't know too much about radar, but at microwave wavelengths, clouds are
pretty transparent.  I imagine that synthetic aperture radar (SAR) technology
would be used.  Oceanographic SAR aims for height resolution on the scale
of centimeters, so you can imagine the resolution defense sensors would be
working at.

Check out "Jane's all the world's satellites" - a pretty good reference.

Cheers,
Liam.

--
tgumleyle@cc.curtin.edu.au
#Liam E. Gumley, Department of Applied Physics, Curtin University of Technology#

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/08/91)

In article <7000.27b11bd8@cc.curtin.edu.au> Gumley_LE@cc.curtin.edu.au (Liam Gumley) writes:

>Visible sensors obviously only work during the daytime.

No so. Have you ever noticed that you can see things at night? Modern
electronic sensors can do even better. Moonlight gives enough light
for anything. Starlight is sufficient for many purposes.

Doug McDonald