[sci.space] Liquid SCUBA

dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb4.173100.1@happy.colorado.edu> sesharp@happy.colorado.edu writes:

>On the contrary, I think the only human trials with fluorocarbons in the
>lungs were to solve the insufficient surfactant problem in premature babies.
>They fill the lungs and then empty them as much as they can, leaving the
>fluorocarbons to hold the small air sacs open.  Premature babies often die
>of collapsed lungs because they don't produce sufficient surfactants to
>hold them open against surface tension.  I believe that the trials gave
>the babies up to 72 hours extra life.

Could you reference the study please?

I'm not questioning the truth of this, I'm curious because I was a premature
baby. (The only time in my life I was early, and it just about killed me).

Phil Fraering
dlbres10@pc.usl.edu

jenkins@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Steve Jenkins) (02/08/91)

In article <DLBRES10.91Feb7131340@pc.usl.edu> dlbres10@pc.usl.edu (Fraering Philip) writes:
>In article <1991Feb4.173100.1@happy.colorado.edu> sesharp@happy.colorado.edu writes:
>
>>[....]  Premature babies often die
>>of collapsed lungs because they don't produce sufficient surfactants to
>>hold them open against surface tension.
>
>Could you reference the study please?
>
>I'm not questioning the truth of this, I'm curious because I was a premature
>baby. (The only time in my life I was early, and it just about killed me).

A slight clarification.  The lungs are prevented from collapse by
adhesion to the chest wall (like wet glass plates stuck together).
Separation of the two (by injury, perhaps) is called 'pneumothorax'
and will cause even normal lungs to collapse.  It is life-threatening.

Premature infants are at risk because their underdeveloped lungs are
uncompliant for lack of pulmonary surfactant.  Their lungs don't
collapse, they just don't distend (under normal ventilatory pressures)
sufficiently to allow adequate oxygenation.

Standard plug:  if you're interested in breathing (who isn't :-)),
John B. West's little book "Respiratory Physiology: the essentials" is a good
reference.  Williams & Wilkins is the publisher, I think.  There is
also a mention of this particular problem (complete with Shakespearean
quote) in Brian Whipp's chapter of Gordon Ross's physiology textbook.
Can't remember the name, something catchy like "Human Physiology".

--
Steve Jenkins N6UNI			jenkins@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory	(818) 354-0162