[sci.space] Solar Impact Mission.

theslim@engin.umich.edu (Eric Michael Slimko) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb4.172846.3706@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu
(Henry Spencer) writes:

> For really tight turns, what you want is a waverider design that can fly
> at high hypersonic speeds in an atmosphere.  Then you can do a right-angle
> turn or even a 180 around any planet with a substantial atmosphere, e.g.
> Venus.  Aerodynamic forces do a much better job of holding you down during
> the turn than gravity.  This also lets you use Mars rather than Jupiter
> for outer-planets missions, which is nice because Jupiter's Van Allen belts
> are a major hassle for Jupiter gravity assists.
> --

I've heard about this kind of thing-- it sounds like a neat ideaalthough
the aerodynamics of going that fast through an atmosphere would be rough,
not to mention the materials the waverider would have to be made out of.
Also, you'd better carry along big thrusters for correcting any errors
made in the manuever.  Anyone in netland doing any research with high
velocity waveriders?

One of the more interesting waverider missions I've heard of was using Mars for
a gravity assist to get out to Pluto.  I don't have the velocities handy,
but I remember the time figure as being about 4 years to go from Earth to
Pluto using that kind of trajectory.

---
Eric Slimko
theslim@caen.engin.umich.edu

pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.154205.29266@engin.umich.edu>, theslim@engin.umich.edu (Eric Michael Slimko) writes:
> In article <1991Feb4.172846.3706@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu
> (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >
> > For really tight turns, what you want is a waverider design that can fly
> > at high hypersonic speeds in an atmosphere.
>
> I've heard about this kind of thing-- it sounds like a neat ideaalthough
> the aerodynamics of going that fast through an atmosphere would be rough,
> not to mention the materials the waverider would have to be made out of.
> Also, you'd better carry along big thrusters for correcting any errors
> made in the manuever.  Anyone in netland doing any research with high
> velocity waveriders?

Doubt that he's on the net, but Duncan Lunan was big on this when
he gave a seminar on the topic here a few years ago.  He was with
an organization that was planning scale tests, off the coast of
Scotland I believe.  Wonder what happened to them?

--
"Diane, I'm holding in my hand      |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
a small box of chocolate bunnies"   |    (pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov)

disprep@lonex.radc.af.mil (Disaster Preparedness) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.154205.29266@engin.umich.edu> theslim@caen.engin.umich.edu
writes:
>In article <1991Feb4.172846.3706@zoo.toronto.edu>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu
>(Henry Spencer) writes:
>>
>> For really tight turns, what you want is a waverider design that can fly
>> at high hypersonic speeds in an atmosphere.  Then you can do a right-angle
>> turn or even a 180 around any planet with a substantial atmosphere, e.g.
>> Venus.  Aerodynamic forces do a much better job of holding you down during
>> the turn than gravity.  This also lets you use Mars rather than Jupiter
>> for outer-planets missions, which is nice because Jupiter's Van Allen belts
>> are a major hassle for Jupiter gravity assists.
>> --
>
>I've heard about this kind of thing-- it sounds like a neat idea although
>the aerodynamics of going that fast through an atmosphere would be rough,
>not to mention the materials the waverider would have to be made out of.
>Also, you'd better carry along big thrusters for correcting any errors
>made in the manuever.  Anyone in netland doing any research with high
>velocity waveriders?
>
>One of the more interesting waverider missions I've heard of was using Mars for
>a gravity assist to get out to Pluto.  I don't have the velocities handy,
>but I remember the time figure as being about 4 years to go from Earth to
>Pluto using that kind of trajectory.
>
>---

     These are very interesting ideas that, I agree, would allow a probe
to change its direction in a hurry.  The problem I see is that when the
vehicle enters an atmosphere, it loses kinetic energy in favor of thermal
energy.  The idea of using this aero-assist method would seem to work okay
for a solar impact mission, but I don't see how a probe could reach Pluto
in four years after losing kinetic energy.  Does it kind of bounce off
of the Martian atmosphere and gain a whole bunch of kinetic energy somehow
(not at all obvious to yours truly)?  Or does the probe's proximity to the
planet allow for a greater gravitational kick that more than overcomes the
loss to heat?  Whatever the reason, I'm certain Mr. Spencer can set my
misgivings straight.

- Andy

* Harold G. "Andy" Andrews II, 1Lt, USAF *  "Many the man whose punctuality   *
* andrewsh@lonex.radc.af.mil             *   serves only to warm his chair."  *
* Rome Laboratory/IRRE (USAF/AFSC/ESD)   *                                    *
* Griffiss AFB, NY USA 13441-5700        *    -- Leonard somebody or other    *
* (315) 330-7788 (AVN prfx 587)          *  (Not an official USAF viewpoint)  *

In article <1991Feb5.185021.10001@lonex.radc.af.mil> disprep@lonex.radc.af.mil (Disaster Preparedness) writes:
>     These are very interesting ideas that, I agree, would allow a probe
>to change its direction in a hurry.  The problem I see is that when the
>vehicle enters an atmosphere, it loses kinetic energy in favor of thermal
>energy.  The idea of using this aero-assist method would seem to work okay
>for a solar impact mission, but I don't see how a probe could reach Pluto
>in four years after losing kinetic energy...

You lose some energy to air drag in the waverider concept.  However, you
are doing a turn around a *moving* planet, and there is momentum transfer
from planet to probe (or vice versa), just like with a gravity-assist
maneuver.

>... Does it kind of bounce off
>of the Martian atmosphere and gain a whole bunch of kinetic energy somehow...

Viewed from a distance, either a gravity-assist maneuver or a waverider turn
looks very much like bouncing off the planet.  Remember, the planet is moving,
so bouncing off it can give you a velocity gain or loss, depending on which
direction you come in from and the angle of the bounce.  The waverider's
advantage is that it can give you a much more drastic bounce, because the
aerodynamic forces are much stronger than gravity.
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (02/06/91)

Here is an article from Duncan Lunana.   He sent it to several
NSS cahpters inlucing us in Ventura.     We believ it is public
domain and ok to post her and lsewhere:-

Waverider

by Duncan Lunan

From October 17 to 19, The University of Maryland was host to a

major event - the First International Hypersonic Waverider

Symposium.  This represented the rebirth of a concept of major

scientific and political importance, long associated with Glasgow

University, and something of a triumph for an amateur group which

continued to push for the concept's recognition when it had

largely been forgotten.

The Waverider re-entry vehicle was devised by Prof. Terrence

Nonweiler, Professor of Aeronautics and Fluid Mechanics and later

Dean of Engineering of Glasgow University.  It was intended to be

the manned spacecraft in a British space program based on the

Blue Streak missile in the 1960's - canceled by the Macmillan

government, and largely forgotten thereafter.  Its basis is a

shape known as the 'caret wing', which generates a plane shock

wave, attached to the leading edges, instead of the sonic boom

generated by conventional wings at high speeds.  The

high-pressure area trapped under the Waverider wing generates

lift, and the vehicle functions as a very high-performance

glider.

Waverider was conceived a a space shuttle, and its job is to

deliver payloads from space to the surface of a planet with an

atmosphere.  In the 1970's, discussions at ASTRA (the Association

in Scotland to Research into Astronautics) brought out a number

of major jobs for the vehicle in the exploration of Mars, Venus,

Jupiter and the rest of the outer planets.  In the longer term,

when we come to practical exploitation of the Solar System's

resources, it will have to be on an international basis and with

safeguards for the rights of developing nations.  Waverider has a

major role to play because its low wing-loading allows it a

landing 'footprint', descending from space, which literally

envelops the Earth, and also allows it a touchdown speed of less

than 160 kph.  A delivery vehicle which can land anywhere on

Earth, on ordinary runways, will be of great political

importance.  Other ideas from the ASTRA discussions suggested

that in the late 21st century transport Waveriders could have a

role comparable to that of Containers in the late 20th.

In 1981 ASTRA's Waverider study took a practical turn, and by

late 1984 Gordon Dick of ASTRA had achieved the first free

flights of hand-launched Waveriders.  (Gordon Dick is a designer

of sails an hang-gliders, now working as a technician at the

Glasgow School of Art.)  The first rocket launch took place in

1985, witnessed by Dr. Jim Randolph of the Jet Propulsion

Laboratory, Pasadena, which is responsible for the

Mariner/Viking/Voyager series of space probes.  Dr. Randolph is

head of the Starprobe project, which is intended to place an

instrumented probe within two million miles of the surface of the

Sun - described in some quarters as the most important scientific

mission of the century.  No rocket in existence can achieve that,

so it has to be brought about by planetary slingshot - what's

termed an 'aerogravity maneuver', in which the probe would fly

through the atmosphere of Venus and Mars to redirect its path

towards the Sun.  In April of this year Dr. Randolph paid his

third visit to ASTRA in Scotland, and confirmed that he regards

Waverider as the prime candidate for the Starprobe carrier.

The setting up of the Waverider conference in October was due in

large part to Dr. Randolph's support of the concept, since he

first learned of it from ASTRA in 1984.  At his urging the

University of Maryland undertook computer studies which resolved

the major problem with the Waverider design, eliminating

turbulence on the upper surface of the wing, thereby confirming

work done in Scotland by Gordon Dick.  This result was announced

at a small Waverider symposium last year, and the effect was

dramatic: the Call for Papers for this year's conference has been

answered by no fewer than 78 speakers, and the American space

agency NASA is now officially co-sponsoring the event.  ASTRA

will be represented by Duncan Lunan and Gordon Dick, who will

unveil the latest version of his Waverider space shuttle design -

including a control system which he hopes will be valid for all

Waverider applications.

Jim Randolph's Starprobe project will not go before the US Senate

and Congress for funding until 1994.  Meanwhile work in ASTRA

continues, with radio-controlled models and wind-tunnel tests,

with the future possibility of rocket flights sponsored by NASA;

no amateur society has ever pushed a space project so close to

official acceptance before, and the October conference was a very

big forward step in that direction.

(Ed. - This manuscript, written before the conference, was

received after the conference was held.  We hope to have further

news of the conference and Waverider progress in later issues.)

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (02/07/91)

Some of the velocity would be lost due to thermal dissipation, +but
most of it would be redi+rected into a new solar orbit with much higher
eccenricity.   The trade of+f is increasing the aphelion by reducing
the perihlion.   This is done by changing the velocity vector even
though the magnitude does not increase, and will as you said, be
a slightly smaller because of heat loss.
    The perhelion can be below the surface of the Sun because the
spacecraft is heading away from the Sun.
   The energy of a highly eccentric orbt can be the same as for a near
circular orbit, so conservation  of energy is not violated, and there is
no need to invoke relativity !
    Well, Henry, how does that sound ?

In article <3302@polari.UUCP> crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) writes:
>Some of the velocity would be lost due to thermal dissipation, +but
>most of it would be redi+rected into a new solar orbit with much higher
>eccenricity.   The trade of+f is increasing the aphelion by reducing
>the perihlion.   This is done by changing the velocity vector even
>though the magnitude does not increase...
>    Well, Henry, how does that sound ?

Correct as far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough.  If the planet
were stationary, this would be a reasonable analysis.  You keep the same
magnitude of velocity *with respect to the planet*, but since the planet
is moving, that can result in either increased or decreased velocity
with respect to the Sun.  If you bounce a ball off a car moving rapidly
towards you, the ball comes back faster than you threw it.
--

Ron.Rapp@p1.f940.n103.z1.fidonet.org (Ron Rapp) (02/09/91)

--
Ron Rapp
Internet: Ron.Rapp@p1.f940.n103.z1.fidonet.org

ahiggins@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Andrew Higgins) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb5.154205.29266@engin.umich.edu> theslim@caen.engin.umich.edu writes:
>> For really tight turns, what you want is a waverider design that can fly
>> at high hypersonic speeds in an atmosphere.  Then you can do a right-angle
>> turn or even a 180 around any planet with a substantial atmosphere, e.g.
>> Venus.  Aerodynamic forces do a much better job of holding you down during
>> the turn than gravity.  This also lets you use Mars rather than Jupiter
>> for outer-planets missions, which is nice because Jupiter's Van Allen belts
>> are a major hassle for Jupiter gravity assists.
>
>Anyone in netland doing any research with high
>velocity waveriders?

No, I don't work in this area, but I can provide you with a reference.  Armed
with the AIAA paper number, you should have no trouble locating this paper
in a decent engineering library.

"Hypersonic Maneuvering to Provide Planetary Gravity Assist"
 AIAA 90-0539

 A. McRonald and J. Randolph
 Jet Propulsion Lab.
 Pasadena, Ca

 28th Aerospace Sciences Meeting
 January 8-11, 1990/Reno, Nevada

 Abstract:  In a previous papaer the authors analyzed aero-maneuvers at Venus
 and Earth.  In this paper they extend the study to Mars, examining the
 potential of aero-assist maneuvers at Mars for missions to the Sun and to
 Pluto, using a high lift/drag vehicle such as the waverider to perform an
 atmospheric "fly-around" of Mars, in order to rotate the plaentocentric
 velocity vector, thus adding to the rather small rotation due to gravity
 alone.  A fly-around in one direction or the other can place the aphelion or
 the perihelion of the resulting orbit at the Mars distance, for missions
 towards the Sun or towards Pluto, respectively.  The parameters of such
 maneuvers are given as a function of Earth launch velocity.  It is found to
 be advantageous in terms of Earth launch velocity to perform two aero-
 maneuvers, e.g., one at Venus and then one at Mars.  Some problems regarding
 the actual implementation of the aeromaneuvers are discussed.
--
	Andrew J. Higgins
	ahiggins@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu