[sci.space] Controversy

tanaka@ee.ualberta.ca (Craig Tanaka) (02/09/91)

A friend and I are having an argument over the pictures of the first steps
upon the Moon.  I was wondering if someone could clarify whether or not
it was taken by a remote camera or was restaged afterwards.  (the video of
Armstrong jumping off the ladder on the descent module down to the surface.)
I am sure that questions such as this have been asked many times, and for
that I apologize, but if someone could help me out, I would be very
grateful.
  This is a friend's account - I would appreciate replies to
  userdanc@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca.

  Thanks.               Dan

marty@puppsr.Princeton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb9.064442.6737@ee.ualberta.ca>, tanaka@ee.ualberta.ca (Craig Tanaka) writes:

|> A friend and I are having an argument over the pictures of the first steps
|> upon the Moon.  I was wondering if someone could clarify whether or not
|> it was taken by a remote camera or was restaged afterwards.  (the video of
|> Armstrong jumping off the ladder on the descent module down to the surface.)
|> I am sure that questions such as this have been asked many times, and for
|> that I apologize, but if someone could help me out, I would be very
|> grateful.

Simple answer: the shot of an astronaut climbing down from the ladder as
seen from about 30' from the lander was taken by Neil Armstrong and showed
Buzz Aldrin stepping out.  The 'one small step' video is the (less seen)
shot from the lander hatch that mostly shows Armstrong's head.
Since the later video is more photogenic, it is more often used and often
has Armstrong's words juxtaposed on it, leading to the confusion.

--
Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,

crad@polari.UUCP (Charles Radley) (02/10/91)

The TV on Apollo-11 was of course lve......live....
And on very othr Appollo.     Movie footage and still were also taken and
developed afterwards.
   After stepping on to the Moon the crew would detach the camera from the LEM and
mount it on a tripod some distance from the LEM.

In article <1991Feb9.064442.6737@ee.ualberta.ca> tanaka@ee.ualberta.ca (Craig Tanaka) writes:
>... I was wondering if someone could clarify whether or not
>it was taken by a remote camera or was restaged afterwards.  (the video of
>Armstrong jumping off the ladder on the descent module down to the surface.)

The low-resolution video, shot from a strange angle, where you need to
concentrate to sort out what's going on, is live and for real the very
first steps.  Early in Armstrong's descent, he pulled on a cord to release
the latch of the surface-equipment-bay door.  The camera was fixed to the
door so that it faced the ladder when the door flopped open.  I can assure
you that it wasn't restaged; half a billion people, including me, were
watching and listening to it happen.

If the video you're looking at is shot from a level camera and is clear
and easy to follow, you're probably looking at Aldrin coming down or at
a sequence from a later mission.

(As a side note, if you're looking at a still photograph from Apollo 11
on the surface, the astronaut is 99.9% certain to be Aldrin, because
Armstrong had the camera most of the time.  I believe they've turned
up one still which is, based on context, Armstrong.)  (It took another
mission or two before they figured out that it was a good idea to mark
the spacesuits so you could tell the two astronauts apart easily.)
--
"Read the OSI protocol specifications?  | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
I can't even *lift* them!"              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb9.064442.6737@ee.ualberta.ca> tanaka@ee.ualberta.ca (Craig Tanaka) writes:
-
-A friend and I are having an argument over the pictures of the first steps
-upon the Moon.  I was wondering if someone could clarify whether or not
-it was taken by a remote camera or was restaged afterwards.

I thought it was mounted on one of the LEM's legs...
/mike
--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East