[sci.space] Kevlar

Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (02/08/91)

> gregc@cimage.com writes:
> Person: Greg Cronau
>
> I don't even want to *think* about the number of G's on the spacecraft
> when that sucker goes taunt. You'd have to make the cable out of something
> resilient so that it would stretch to absorb the initial shock.
> You could make the cable out of a kevlar bungee. Certainly would give a
> new meaning to the concept of a "slingshot" manuever. :-)
>
> gregc@cimage.com

     Kevlar is fascinating stuff.  I just acquired a spool of Kevlar fiber for
tinkering purposes.  It looks like pale yellow dental floss, or like polyester
sewing thread.  The spool that I have is loaded with a strand that has two
individual thread-like fiber bundles twisted around each other.  The thread is
quite flexible in spite of the very high Young's modulus of the fiber (high
stiffness).  This is probably because the actual fibers making up the thread
are extremely fine (nearly invisible if the end of a thread is frayed out), and
the thread can bend by flexing of the fibers over one another.
     The real surprise comes when you cut off a length of fiber and try to
break it by hand.  You can't exert enough force with your bare hands to break
the fiber (at least not without risking having the fiber cut into your flesh).
What looks like a thread has the tensile strength of steel wire roughly the
same thickness.
     The Kevlar I bought was obtained from the Canadian distributor for Edmond
Scientific.  In the Edmond catalog, the item is catalog number G34,883.  Price
is $13.50 U.S. for a 600 yard spool.

     I don't have the contact information for Edmond Scientific in the U.S.,
but Canadians may contact Eftonscience Inc., 3350 Dufferin St., Toronto
Ontarion M6A 3A4  (416-787-4581).
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

marty@puppsr.Princeton.EDU (Marty Ryba) (02/09/91)

In article <4728@mindlink.UUCP>, Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
|>   Kevlar is fascinating stuff.  I just acquired a spool of Kevlar fiber for
|> tinkering purposes.  It looks like pale yellow dental floss, or like polyester
|> sewing thread.  The spool that I have is loaded with a strand that has two
|> individual thread-like fiber bundles twisted around each other.  The thread is
Kevlar is fascinating stuff.  It doesn't have to be yellow; I've seen it white
too.
|>    The Kevlar I bought was obtained from the Canadian distributor for Edmond
|> Scientific.  In the Edmond catalog, the item is catalog number G34,883.
|> Price is $13.50 U.S. for a 600 yard spool.
Though the price doesn't sound too bad, for convenience and maybe a better
price, plus for stuff that is really optimized for tensile strength with
high flexibility and minimal abrasiveness (needed for making cables that
last), go to any good archery shop.  There are several brands of Kevlar
on the market; one was called "Super Flight" or something like that was
twice as strong per weight than standard Kevlar, and lasted longer since one
needed fewer strands per cable and it was less abrasive.  Remember, the lighter
the string, the faster the arrow will go.  Archery involves some high-tech
materials science and physics besides being plain fun.

--
Marty Ryba                      | slave physics grad student
Princeton University            | They don't care if I exist,

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (02/12/91)

In article <6117@idunno.Princeton.EDU> marty@puppsr.Princeton.EDU (Marty Ryba) writes:

   In article <4728@mindlink.UUCP>, Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
   |>   Kevlar is fascinating stuff.  I just acquired a spool of Kevlar fiber for
   |> tinkering purposes.  It looks like pale yellow dental floss, or like polyester
   |> sewing thread.  The spool that I have is loaded with a strand that has two
   |> individual thread-like fiber bundles twisted around each other.  The thread is
   Kevlar is fascinating stuff.  It doesn't have to be yellow; I've seen it white
   too.
   |>    The Kevlar I bought was obtained from the Canadian distributor for Edmond
   |> Scientific.  In the Edmond catalog, the item is catalog number G34,883.
   |> Price is $13.50 U.S. for a 600 yard spool.
   Though the price doesn't sound too bad, for convenience and maybe a better
   price, plus for stuff that is really optimized for tensile strength with
   high flexibility and minimal abrasiveness (needed for making cables that
   last), go to any good archery shop.  There are several brands of Kevlar
   on the market; one was called "Super Flight" or something like that was
   twice as strong per weight than standard Kevlar, and lasted longer since one
   needed fewer strands per cable and it was less abrasive.  Remember, the lighter
   the string, the faster the arrow will go.  Archery involves some high-tech
   materials science and physics besides being plain fun.

Should this thread go somewhere else?

Anyway, kite shops sell "300 pound" kevlar string.  It is yellowy,
braided I think, and quite strong.  Just the thing for flying a couple
of 10' stunters in a hurricane...

jv

Law of Stolen Flight: Only flame, and things with wings.
                      All the rest suffer stings.
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail