[sci.space] Why bother?

sss3@ukc.ac.uk (S.S.Sturrock) (02/26/91)

Nice idea this terraforming, why can't we make lots of new worlds for people
to live on, then we don't have to worry about contraception, or the population
problem, excellent plan guys.  We make a mega mess of this world, get all
green and caring but still we don't consider the one all important green issue,
our propensity to overpopulate.  OK, so it's a tangential argument but what the
hell, I'm a tangential sort of chap :-)

Toodle pip.

Shane Sturrock, Biol Lab.  Canterbury, Kent, Great Britain.

In article <6956@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> sss3@ukc.ac.uk (S.S.Sturrock) writes:
>Nice idea this terraforming, why can't we make lots of new worlds for people
>to live on, then we don't have to worry about contraception, or the population
>problem, excellent plan guys.  We make a mega mess of this world, get all
>green and caring but still we don't consider the one all important green issue,
>our propensity to overpopulate....

You seem to think that terraforming has someting to do with overpopulation.
This is a curious assumption.

We will never be able to export population in sufficient numbers to avoid
having to deal with overpopulation here, regardless of whether there are
attractive places to go.  Too few people are willing to go and it is too
expensive to transport the ones who are.

The point of terraforming is diversity, and lifeboats, not replacement.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

bmb@bluemoon.uucp (Bryan Bankhead) (03/04/91)

sss3@ukc.ac.uk (S.S.Sturrock) writes:

> Nice idea this terraforming, why can't we make lots of new worlds for people
> to live on, then we don't have to worry about contraception, or the populatio
> problem, excellent plan guys.  We make a mega mess of this world, get all
> green and caring but still we don't consider the one all important green issu
> our propensity to overpopulate.  OK, so it's a tangential argument but what t
> hell, I'm a tangential sort of chap :-)
Terraforming is my least favorite option for creating living space for
humanity.. The energy cost estimated for the terraforming of mars, the
most earthlike planet in the solar system is in the area of 10^23 watts,
or about 100 million times as much as the entire energy consumption fo
humanity for all purposes.  and that is just to convert the atmosphere!
There will still be an immense effor in setting up a self sustaing
ecology. for such a cost we could create billions of O'Neill colonies a
lot faster.

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (03/05/91)

In article <PH49X2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> bmb@bluemoon.uucp (Bryan Bankhead) writes:
>Terraforming is my least favorite option for creating living space for
>humanity.. The energy cost estimated for the terraforming of mars, the
>most earthlike planet in the solar system is in the area of 10^23 watts,
>or about 100 million times as much as the entire energy consumption fo
>humanity for all purposes. ...

Ah, but the *easy* planet to terraform is *Venus*.  It's atmosphere is
mostly carbon dioxide, which makes it both very hot, and very dense.
Now, plants convert carbon dioxide, water, and sunlight into complex
hydrocarbons and oxygen.  The hydrocarbons, being solid, are removed from
the atmosphere.  This results in a cooler, less dense atmosphere.  Also,
the hydrocarbons could act as a humic base for real soil!.

Thus to terraform Venus just add a few tons of aerosol phytoplankton and
wait a good while.  It will become inhabitable with no furhter help.
[Note the phytoplankton must be cabable of living floating in air, and
with little wate, but that is easily accomplished]

--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (03/06/91)

In article <PH49X2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> bmb@bluemoon.uucp (Bryan Bankhead) writes:

>Terraforming is my least favorite option for creating living space for
>humanity.. The energy cost estimated for the terraforming of mars, the
>most earthlike planet in the solar system is in the area of 10^23 watts,
>or about 100 million times as much as the entire energy consumption fo
>humanity for all purposes.  and that is just to convert the atmosphere!

   Well, nice big numbers, but meaningless. Watts are units of power,
not of energy. For instance, the Sun puts out a continous power of
4.24x10^26 Watts.

>There will still be an immense effor in setting up a self sustaing
>ecology. for such a cost we could create billions of O'Neill colonies a
>lot faster.

   Well, I believe that terraforming would be performed with life forms
doing much of the work. Earth was terraformed from a methane/ammonia
mess without the use of huge artificial power systems, it just took a
little while. Humans don't have the capacity now to generate even one
tenth of one percent of the power which the Sun pours down onto us, so
comparing energy costs with human power consumption or generating
ability is pretty pointless. At the moment, humans are a small
perturbation (in terms of energy) on the machinery of the Earth.
   According to some articles I was reading a few months ago, if the
surface of Venus were scarred, and liquid water made to collect on the
surface (two very big 'if's, but indulge me), a significant fraction of
the atmosphere would be absorbed into the exposed rocks. The water
catalyzes the reaction so that it occurs on the scale of centuries
instead of eons.

   As has already been pointed out, terraforming will not be used to
alleviate overpopulation problems on Earth. That doesn't mean it's
pointless, though I don't imagine that people will really want to make a
liveable gravity well out of it. Why go all the way out of this gravity
well just to leap down the next one? Mars might stand a better chance
than Venus of being terraformed, as it's a much more likely place for
colonization, and once there, some people might want to give their
surroundings some variety.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | Note: new host.
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | helios will still

rjg2@ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Gibson) (03/07/91)

test

jdnicoll@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (James Davis Nicoll) (03/07/91)

	I can think of some valid reasons to terraform a currently
lifeless planet like Mars or Venus. They pretty much presuppose
a wealthy society with resources and time to burn.

	'Theological':
		There are a lot of folks who feel life has intrinsic
		value. If Venus or Mars (Or whatever world you care to
		insert) have no life, then perhaps they would feel an
		obligation to introduce lifeforms that could survive there.
		Societies have invested large amounts of labour into
		projects which to outsiders seem non-productive; Egyptian
		pyramids and European cathedrals, for example. I don't
		think it is out of the question that someone in a few
		centuries might decide to devote several trillion dollars
		worth of effort to spreading life throughout the accessable
		universe, particularly if life seems to be very rare at that
		time. Judging by the fuss environmentalists make over changing
		esisting ecosystems, I would guess that one successful attempt
		to introduce life would poison the well for later ones.

	'Condos':
		Hey, habitats wear out in a few centuries. Earth has
		persisted for *5 billion years*. Talk about consistant
		resale value. No, this doesn't make a lot of sense,
		but neither do condos, and they sell well. Wealthy
		societies can afford silly luxuries.

	'Art':
		Think of terraforming as a very large example of
		performance art.

							James Nicoll