[sci.space] I want to go to orbit...

msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) (03/26/91)

	Hi,

	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?
I'm thinking about a 20-30 ton rocket with a 900 kg payload made up of
a car sized hypersonic glidder, fitted with 3 rocket engines. There will
be 2 boosters of about 10 tons each, and a main liquid hydrogen-oxygen
tank of about 10 tons too. I have a Chalet near a lake with some forest
behind (covered with lots of other chalets and people... sighhh, but I
can manage to get a 50ft X 50ft field on which to start my project) where
I plan to launch this private space shuttle from an underground tunnel
(Ha ha... what a surprise for my neighboors: Is it an earthquake? No, ME!).
I guess I'll break the canadian law forbidding to send rocket of more
than 650 gramms (20 oz) in the air... but I'll land somewhere else.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark

In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca> msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:
>	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
>spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?

First you need to locate a source of dilithium crystals.  You're not going
to get off the ground without them.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.183132.15691@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca> msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:
>>	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
>>spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?
>
>First you need to locate a source of dilithium crystals.  You're not going
>to get off the ground without them.

How much energy does one get, in fact, by fusing lithium to carbon?
And what is the potential barrier to be crossed. The design of my
dilithium reactor is coming along just fine, but a few parameters need
to be filled in.  Oh, in case you didn't know, all you have to do is
form an exponentially tapered slug of the crystalline material, and
tap one end of it.  If you get the taper just right, and apply the
appropriate materials science to suitably increase the speed of sound in the
material, then the taper will impedance-match all the input kinetic
energy of the input impulse into fusion of the last few atoms at the
device's tip. The power is simply proportional to the frequency of the
input excitation.  The whole thing is about the size of one of those
overpriced Mont Blank fountain pens.  Looks like one, too.  Only
problem is that it isn't working yet.

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (03/26/91)

-
-First you need to locate a source of dilithium crystals.  You're not going
-to get off the ground without them.

That won't help.  Dilithium crystals are used for energy conversion in
warp drives.  You need either thrusters or low impulse drives until you
are well outside a planet's atmosphere...
/mike (visiting from the Cochrane Institure :-)

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca> msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:
>	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
>spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?

Well, first, you have to understand that the terms 'space shuttle' and
'reliable' are inherently mutually exclusive.
 second you have to get this into your head. Space shuttles are horribly
complex things, the computer systems are positively frightening!
 not to worry though, a good HP calculator manual from rom 1976 or earlier
should tell you everything you need to know.
 Assuming you only want to go once, forget heat tiles. Go ablative. it worked
for apollo. (a good shield is layers of cork painted white, with a rubber based
paint)
 as for life support systems, a good vindaloo before hand and a diving (DRY)
suit should do.
 oh, and by the way. watch for the police. this is strictly illegal, unless you
happen to be NASA, when it's only technically illegal.

(for explanation of HP calculator comment see sci.space.shuttle discussion
along the thred Re: new (!!!??!!?!) Space Shuttle Computers, slaging off core
memories and space shuttle computers in general! )

Theora.
PS> remember, if you start building now, you might beat STS37 into orbit!
PPS> if you start building in 15 years time, you >might< just beat freedom into
orbit too!
--
sig (made it through the ethernet alive!)
Theora Jones  Strathclyde University, SCOTLAND   || " I can fly higher than an

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca> msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:

>	Hi,
>
>	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
>spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?

Personally, I'd forget "shuttle-like."  I'd forget chemical rockets too.
There are several excellent public-domain text files explaining how to
build your own flying saucer.  Or you could simply look up Thomas Townsend
Brown's patents.  (There are also PD plans for a spacetime-warping coil,
but it's dangerous -- if the power fails at high output, the backlash tends
to violently disrupt any matter within the field.  If you plan work along
such lines, be sure to read Carl Meredith Allen's warnings in his
correspondence with Dr. Morris K. Jessup.)

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

clairday@edsews.eds.com (Matt Clairday) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca>, msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:

> 	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
> spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?
> I'm thinking about a 20-30 ton rocket with a 900 kg payload made up of
> a car sized hypersonic glidder, fitted with 3 rocket engines. There will
> be 2 boosters of about 10 tons each, and a main liquid hydrogen-oxygen
> tank of about 10 tons too. I have a Chalet near a lake with some forest

  Mark, this shouldn't be any problem.  Just see your local nasa surplus
  dealer for the relevant parts.  A bright guy like you should have
  no trouble deducing the assembly instuctions from sifting through
  relevant space shuttle articles of the period 1981-1990.

> I guess I'll break the canadian law forbidding to send rocket of more
> than 650 gramms (20 oz) in the air... but I'll land somewhere else.
> Thanks in advance for any advice.

  I would suggest using stealth technology to hide your project from
  the canadian govt. officials.  good luck, and happy holidays.

--
Matt Clairday
EDS Technical Infrastructure Services

neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca>, msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:

> 	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
> spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?
> I'm thinking about a 20-30 ton rocket with a 900 kg payload made up of
> a car sized hypersonic glidder, fitted with 3 rocket engines. There will
> be 2 boosters of about 10 tons each, and a main liquid hydrogen-oxygen
> tank of about 10 tons too. I have a Chalet near a lake with some forest

   Folks, remember Mark from the Venus terraforming discussion? Don't
tell him about the new low-cost personal interplanetary shuttles being
sold through mail order. I'm sure he's planning to fly to Venus to
disable Magellan, since it's polluting that pretty landscape with nasty
radio wave things.
   Do you want the destruction of Magellan on your conscience?

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | Flash: morning star seen
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra! | in evening! Baffled

rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com (04/08/91)

In article <33015@edsews.eds.com>, clairday@edsews.eds.com (Matt Clairday) writes:
> In article <1991Mar25.174621.3905@cs.mcgill.ca>, msdos@cs.mcgill.ca (Mark SOKOLOWSKI) writes:
>>
>> 	What are the steps in order to build a reliable space-shuttle like
>> spaceship in order to send myself to orbit for the summer holidays?
>> I'm thinking about a 20-30 ton rocket with a 900 kg payload made up of
>> a car sized hypersonic glidder, fitted with 3 rocket engines. There will
>> be 2 boosters of about 10 tons each, and a main liquid hydrogen-oxygen
>> tank of about 10 tons too. I have a Chalet near a lake with some forest
>
>   Mark, this shouldn't be any problem.  Just see your local nasa surplus
>   dealer for the relevant parts.  A bright guy like you should have
>   no trouble deducing the assembly instuctions from sifting through
>   relevant space shuttle articles of the period 1981-1990.
>

>> I guess I'll break the canadian law forbidding to send rocket of more
>> than 650 gramms (20 oz) in the air... but I'll land somewhere else.
>> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>

>   I would suggest using stealth technology to hide your project from
>   the canadian govt. officials.  good luck, and happy holidays.

Now that we've all had a small chuckle over this gentlemans ambitions
(You're sailing WHERE, Christopher?), may I ask if anyone has seen of or heard
from Robert Truax lately. He is the ex-NASA rocket scientist who was building
his own 1 man orbital rocket a few years back. Last I heard, he had the booster
completed, and was trying to fund the actual vehicle.

Michael

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (04/09/91)

>[stuff deleted]... may I ask if anyone has seen of or heard from
>Robert Truax lately. He is the ex-NASA rocket scientist who was
>building his own 1 man orbital rocket a few years back. Last I heard,
>he had the booster completed, and was trying to fund the actual
>vehicle.

If I remember correctly, Truax had built a vehicle, based on surplus
Atlas vernier engines, to loft a person to 100km (about 62-miles), the
IAF's definition for the threshold of space, thus qualifying that
person as an astronaut. Recovery was to be via parachute. Last I
heard, the vehicle was complete, ready to carry the first person with
the $1,000,000 ticket price. Truax claimed, at one time, that he would
put an American woman into space before NASA could.

Truax had earlier built a steam powered rocket that Eveil Kneivel
(spelling?) used for a widely publicized, partially successful
(premature parachute opening), crossing of the Snake river canyon.

I haven't read anything about Truax in perhaps five years and am also
curious about what he is up to these days, if anything.

dietz@cs.rochester.edu (Paul Dietz) (04/09/91)

In article <HESKETT.91Apr9073355@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu> heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:

>If I remember correctly, Truax had built a vehicle, based on surplus
>Atlas vernier engines, to loft a person to 100km (about 62-miles), the
>IAF's definition for the threshold of space, thus qualifying that
>person as an astronaut. Recovery was to be via parachute. Last I
>heard, the vehicle was complete, ready to carry the first person with
>the $1,000,000 ticket price.
>I haven't read anything about Truax in perhaps five years and am also
>curious about what he is up to these days, if anything.

Truax sold his "Volksrocket X-3" to the US Navy in the fall of 1988
for $750,000, to be used as a test vehicle for part of the SEALAR
program (a program investigating using a two-stage sea-launched rocket
to put 10,000 lb. into low orbit, with the recoverable first stage
recovered 400 miles downrange in the ocean).

What's the status of SEALAR, guys?

	Paul F. Dietz
	dietz@cs.rochester.edu

3001crad@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Charles Frank Radley) (04/10/91)

Truax is in southern California, developing a small sea
launched recoverable rocket for the US Navy, on a substantial
contract - a couple of $M

3001crad@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Charles Frank Radley) (04/10/91)

oops, I think you are right about $ 750 K contract c vlaue.
He is still working on that job, he had an ad in AW&ST a couple
of months ago to hire some more people.

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (04/11/91)

In article <HESKETT.91Apr9073355@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu> heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
> > [stuff deleted]... may I ask if anyone has seen of or heard from
> > Robert Truax lately.

> Truax had earlier built a steam powered rocket that Eveil Kneivel

> I haven't read anything about Truax in perhaps five years and am also
> curious about what he is up to these days, if anything.

I just read an article about Truax.  I don't recall whether it was in
Air & Space, Ad Astra, or the Planetary Report.  The article was mostly
history.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                       ...uunet!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john