[sci.space] Japanese Space Development Direction

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (06/17/91)

In article <6204@mindlink.bc.ca> Nick_Janow@mindlink.bc.ca (Nick Janow) writes:

>"Looking far into the future, the Japanese feel that automation in space will
>be a huge enterprise.

I don't think anybody doubts that at all. The only question is the wisdom of
putting all our eggs into one basket. I think the Japanese agree which is
why they are also spending money on manned space.

>Thus they show a willingness to invest in long-term
>space robotics to develop a vast technological base from terrestrial work."

The US also spends a lot on robotics research. In fact, in absolute terms
I suspect we spend even more than Japan.

>I think the Japanese direction is determined by economic and political
>foresight,

Japan is spending billions on Freedom and where the loudest complainers
when it was cancled. May we conclude than that you have changed your mind
and now support Freedom?

   Allen

|Allen W. Sherzer |   DETROIT: Where the weak are killed and eaten.         |
|   aws@iti.org   |                                                         |