[sci.space] Mining El Dorado

charles@stb.info.com (Charles (from bbs)) (06/17/91)

How do we mine the El Dorado asteroid ?  Is it one big stainless steel
nugget, or is it differentiated ?  Either way, I propose blasting it
to pieces using high explosives.  If it is a homogeneous stainless
steel nugget I would drill a hole right to the center and insert a
small nuclear  device.  If it is differentiated, conventional
explosives might suffice.  Nuclear gives more bang per pound, so
better than chemical and takes less propellant to send it to El
Dorado.
     We do not want lots of fragments flying everywhere, all we need
     is to create a powerful shock wave to disrupt the asteroid structure.
     The shock should be small enough that gravity will continue to hold
     the pieces together.   We could literally surround the asteroid with a
     safety net to ensure most of it is retained.    Once shocked the
     pieces can be individually transported or processed by a robot
     smelter.   If it is well differentiated it might be possible to
     visually separate out nuggetts of rare metals, and discard the
     silicates and iron.    A weak acid could dissolve reactive metals (
     alkali earth and alkali metals and iron ) and heavier metals like Gold
     and Platinum would be beneficiated.    If desired the acid solution
     could be electrolysed with low energy to recover the lighter metals.
	 Beneficiating by weight might be possible, would have to spin the
	 nuggetts in a centrifuge to find out how dense they are.   Each nugget
	 could also be scanned by alpha particle back scattering or other
	 radio-spectroscopy  means, and then sorted into valuable and less
	 valuable bins. Probably cheaper than electrolysis too.  Most efficient
	 might be to use minimum size ( ie critical mass only ) nuclear
	 charges, and progressively shock parts of El Dorado, that allows more
	 margin for error in case we guess wrong about the quantity of shock
	 needed - do not want to over do it !    Would need rather a lot of
	 diamond drills if it is steel, maybe somebody could design a laser
	 cutting torch so we can burn our way in.   How about a deliberate
	 nuclear pile meltdown on the surface, the hot pile melts to the center
	 via gravity - al la China Syndrome.
	    An advantage of a single blast dead center would be that the
	    surface structure would be least affected, so it might be possible to
	    the centre, and leaving a large hollow structure which could be turned
	    into a human habitat.  I like that better than progressively blasting
	    it completely to pieces from the outside.   Residual radiation might
	    be a problem for future colonists, I wonder what the half-life would
	    be.
	       In the immediate term it would be interesting to send a probe to
	       El Dorado,  to see if it is differentiated or homogoneous.
		   El Dorado is probably spinning, so the blast could be timed such
		   that the exhaust coming out of the drill hole would cause a reaction
		   which would tend to propel the asteroid towards the Earth a little.
		   We do not have controlled fusion, but maybe a large thermonuclear
		   device could be designed as a shaped charge.   After the initial
		   fission explosion and hollowing out some of the interior, the
		   thermonuclear shaped charge could be inserted into the interior of El
		   Dorado, and the drill hole widened.   The blast would then be mostly
		   directed out through the vent hole, creating a more substantial thrust
		   reaction, which could maybe manouver El Dorado within a few million
		   miles of Earth.   This would be most useful if the blast could be done
		   at perihelion, thus lowering the aphelion, making collection of the
		   asteroid pieces much cheaper.
		       Perhaps the nuclear shocking and thrusting could be a government
		       program.   Then collection and benefaction of the pieces could be by
		       private prospectors.

			* Origin: Ventura Co NSS 805-649-5314 STS final approach
			(1:206/2403.0)

szabo@sequent.com (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun16.195153.9959@stb.info.com> charles@stb.info.com (Charles (from bbs)) writes:

>We do not want lots of fragments flying everywhere, all we need
>is to create a powerful shock wave to disrupt the asteroid structure.
>The shock should be small enough that gravity will continue to hold
>the pieces together.   We could literally surround the asteroid with a
>safety net to ensure most of it is retained.

Any significant shock wave is going to be greater than the escape velocity
(a few m/s).  The net, perhaps nylon, is a better idea.  Also, if
possible set up the explosive(s) so that they fracture the insdide
of the asteroid while leaving a surface shell intact.  (Charles suggests
this also later in his post).  The combination of the net and the shell
may be sufficient.

Cold metal is brittle, but I am not sure whether it would fracture in
the way we like, rather than just melting and recondensing.  Data from
underground nuclear explosions would help here.  It would be best
if we could produce powerful ultrasound with little heat.

>pieces can be individually transported or processed by a robot
>smelter.

Pumping a very thin atmosphere, and/or magnets may suffice to move
the gravel through tubes in microgravity.

>In the immediate term it would be interesting to send a probe to
>El Dorado,  to see if it is differentiated or homogoneous.

It is mostly likely homogoneous, I am afraid.  The metal asteroids
that have struck earth (iron meteorites) are homogenous.

Another interesting thing we need to know is how much metal regolith
exists on the surface.  This saves us the blasting and grinding steps.

In general, exploration is cheaper than mining, and we should
search widely to discover the most easily extracted resource before
committing $billions to mining projects.

>thermonuclear shaped charge could be inserted into the interior of El
>Dorado, and the drill hole widened.   The blast would then be mostly
>directed out through the vent hole, creating a more substantial thrust
>reaction, which could maybe manouver El Dorado within a few million
>miles of Earth.

Some issues here:

* We can't use Earth gravity assist or aerobraking for such a large
  asteroid and unpredictable propulsion scheme.  Therefore, the delta-v
  is likely to be quite large (several km/s).

* The energy required to achieve that delta-v would likely disrupt or
  vaporize the asteroid.  For example, to achieve 4,000 m/s the power
  output is (1e10 kg)(4,000 m/s)^2/(.01 s) = 1.6e19 watts assuming a
  propogation time of .01 second.  Of course, we could do multiple
  explosions, but hundreds to thousands of small nuclear warheads starts
  to get expensive.

* The Christic Institute et. al. don't like things called "nuclear".  There
  is also a treaty that ban putting nuclear explosives in space which
  would have to be changed (this is a good idea anyway -- it would be much
  better to allow nuclear explosives in space and ban them on Earth!)

Interesting brainstorm.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...

jdnicoll@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (James Davis Nicoll) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun17.052228.8112@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>Some issues here:
>
>* We can't use Earth gravity assist or aerobraking for such a large
>  asteroid and unpredictable propulsion scheme.  Therefore, the delta-v
>  is likely to be quite large (several km/s).
>
>* The energy required to achieve that delta-v would likely disrupt or
>  vaporize the asteroid.  For example, to achieve 4,000 m/s the power
>  output is (1e10 kg)(4,000 m/s)^2/(.01 s) = 1.6e19 watts assuming a
>  propogation time of .01 second.  Of course, we could do multiple
>  explosions, but hundreds to thousands of small nuclear warheads starts
>  to get expensive.

	This is probably a stupid question, but is the change in kinetic
energy (and a power rate based on a time value that appears to me to be
arbitrary, unless I missed something) a particularly useful number to
look at? Hmmm. That is phrased poorly. Maybe an example:

	Take a 1 kilo object and change its velocity by 1000 m/s.
That's a change in Ek of 0.5(1 kg)(1000 m/s)**2 or 5 x 10**5 Joules.

	Now, let's assume we're using a rocket to cause the delta vee
which has an Isp of 400. Mass ratio will be something like:

		M1/M0 = e**delta vee/exhaust velocity
		      = e**(1000 m/s)/(4000 m/s)
		      = 1.28

		If M0 = 1 kg, then
		   M1 = 1.28 kg, so we have to throw .28 kg to get our
		delta vee.

		Ek = .5(.28)(4000)**2
		   = 2.24x10**6 Joules.

	To power the system we're using, we have to come up with 2.24x10**6 J,
but the change in Ek in the object is only 5x10**5 J, a bit more than a fifth
of the energy we actually use. The ratio between the delta Ek of the object
and the energy we actually use for a given propulsion system goes up as Isp
increases, of course. In your example up above, while the delta Ek is
1.6x10**17 J, the actual energy we'd need would be higher (How much higher
depends on the Isp of the system we use). As an aside 1.6x1017 J is about
the amount of energy we could produce using all the the world's current off-
the-shelf supply of nuclear explosives (Actually, it's two or three times as
much), so we'll need to build more nuclear explosives to move the above rock,
perhaps much more, depending on hw we use them.

	Anyone out there have an idea how much nukes cost per megatonne?

	If there's some painfully obvious reason you used the delta Ek and
the .01 second values you did, take it as written I pound my head shapeless
in contrition.

								James Nicoll

szabo@sequent.com (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.144137.23456@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jdnicoll@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (James Davis Nicoll) writes:

>	If there's some painfully obvious reason you used the delta Ek and
>the .01 second values you did, take it as written I pound my head shapeless
>in contrition.

No, I was being pretty arbitrary.  The energy of the explosion is given
off over less than .01 seconds.   The actual sound shock wave propagation
takes on the order of 1 second.  The power output of a nuclear explosion
might blast a cold metal asteroid into smitherenes.  That's what I get for
brainstorming on the net.  :-)

For a more accurate analysis, we need to look at the actual results of
underground nuclear tests.