[sci.space] Pioneer Venus ?

white@nereid.ists.ca (H. Peter White) (06/18/91)

I've heard rumors lately that Pioneer Venus will be sent into the atmosphere to
collect data for future Magellan work. I guess this would mean that Pioneer
Venus will collect data till the very end.

Anyone else heard anything about this, or did I hear wrong?

 H. Peter White			" Whoever undertakes to set himself
 white@nereid.sal.ists.ca	  up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge
 fs300367@yusol.bitnet    	  is shipwrecked by the laughter of
 665-5448 (SAL/ISTS)		  the Gods. "        - Albert Einstein

pgf@space.mit.edu (Peter G. Ford) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.224627.3146@ists.ists.ca> white@nereid (H. Peter White) writes:
>I've heard rumors lately that Pioneer Venus will be sent into the atmosphere to
>collect data for future Magellan work. I guess this would mean that Pioneer
>Venus will collect data till the very end.
>Anyone else heard anything about this, or did I hear wrong?

You've got it half right--the Pioneer Venus spacecraft will indeed be
captured by the Venus atmosphere, and burn up, sometime next fall, but
it won't be deliberate... the spacecraft ran out of fuel long, long
ago, (1980, I think) and its orbit has been wandering ever since.

Its last few months will be closely monitored by Magellan engineers
(among others), in order to plan for an aero-breaking manoeuver in
which the Magellan spacecraft (which *does* have plenty of reserve
fuel), will dip into the fringes of the Venus atmosphere in order to
turn its current elliptical orbit into a more nearly circular one,
which is desired in order (a) to obtain high quality measurements of
the Venus gravity field, and (b) to increase radar resolution in polar
regions.

Peter Ford
MIT and Magellan Project
(also Pioneer Venus, a long time ago).