[sci.space] IGY and the dawn of the Space Age

szabo@sequent.com (06/18/91)

In article <140789@unix.cis.pitt.edu> suzanne@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Suzanne Traub-Metlay) writes:

>Actually, the "space race" began even earlier --

Perhaps some folks missed the point.

Prior to 1958, over 90% of the government money spent on rocketry was
for automated weapons, particularly IRBM's and ICBM's.  Less than 10% was
spent on rockets for space exploration and their payloads (there
was a low-key suborbital research program after 1949).  This 10% included
Explorer, Sputnik and other IGY satellites themselves; they were done on a
shoestring as a result of efforts by scientists and space explorers
much like those in today's AGU.  Among these was one of the greatest
space explorers of them all, James Van Allen, who discovered and studied
the Van Allen radiation belts around the Earth and several other planets,
among other unprecedented accomplishments.

Due to Sputnik there was a large scare, resulting in a status race
to see who could launch the largest payloads the farthest.  The U.S.
launched nearly 2 dozen automated satellites before launching John Glenn
into orbit in 1961.  At this point, the bulk of NASA funding was for these
automated programs.  As the decade progresed these used technology
developed for Earth-orbit automated exploration to venture deeper into
space, resulting in automated planetary exploration (eg Mariners,
Veneras, Pioneers, etc.)  Robots looked at Venus, Mars, and Mercury before
astronauts circled the Moon, and at a fraction of the cost.  The first
self-sufficient space industry, satellite communications, was started
at this time.  The first company to build a GEO satcom, Hughes, did so over
the objections of NASA planners, who were trying to force the industry to
go towards a fleet of satellites in LEO.   This would have eliminated
the small-scale users with simple antennae that provide the bulk of the
current market's revenues.   Fortuneately, the people with their own
money invested at Hughes and Comsat ignored the NASA planners and put
the satellites in GEO.  Through most of the 1960's, about the same (large)
amount of money was spent on civilian space and military long-range
missiles and space efforts, due to the IGY satellite scare.

As the decade progressed, more money was funnelled into Apollo.  This
was the first "slaughter of the innocents", as the Mariner and Pioneer
programs were cut back, and Grand Tour cancelled.  As Gemini started flying
and Apollo was reaching flight readiness the U.S. public started turning
against what they perceived as wasteful astronaut programs.  After 1965
NASA funding started to decrease.  After the first Moon flights in 1968
and 1969 the funding decreased sharply.  The largest manned program of
them all proved to be a severe drag on NASA's efforts to obtain funding.
Worse, as described the NASA leadership focused its efforts on Apollo by
cancelling automated solar system exploration projects.  Meanwhile,
fortuneately, the DoD realized that space stations and astronauts were far
less useful than automated spy satellites, and cancelled the Manned
Orbiting Laboratory.

NASA also learned the lesson for a while -- in between the Apollo and
Shuttle funding peaks, the Viking and Voyager projects managed to
get funded.  Voyager was a cut-down Grand Tour.  The NASA leadership
officially told the Voyager crew not to go beyond Saturn.  Luckily,
they disobeyed.  On a shoestring, the capability to flexibly teleoperate
Voyager was designed in, so that the instructions for flying towards,
and doing exploration at, Uranus and Neptune could be uploaded and
executed at a later date.  The results of these missions, especially
Voyager, were dramatic and unprecedented.  They received overwhelming
support from the American public.  U.S. prestige was enhanced.  We remain
the only country that has ever explored the gas giant planets and their
moons.  We remain the only country that has sampled Mars, photographed
it in detailed color, and tracked its weather.

The two Voyager spacecraft cost less than a tenth of one Apollo flight.
But soon, the astronaut crowd was at it again.  To save NASA, the
convential wisdom went, it needed a "focus".  Despite the funding
drops in reaction to Apollo, it was decided that this would be yet
another astronaut program.  But they didn't stop at developing a new
launcher; they needed to force a monopoly.  The NASA leadership
caused severe damage by cancelling or attempting to cancel the existing
automated launchers.  Part of the strategy was making gross underestimates
of Shuttle costs.  It went from a $100/lb. promise in 1970 to the
$82,000/lb. it costs today.

Central planning won out over free competition.  As predicted by
RAND and others, NASA also cannibilized its own space exploration
efforts, cancelling a once-in-a-lifetime chance to explore Comet
Hally, and violating international agreements by cancelling the
U.S. half of the Solar-Polar mission.  Galileo and Hubble, among others,
ended up severely delayed, overpriced, and handicapped by being forced
onto the Shuttle.  All of this destruction to fund a centralized
launch industry to be dominated by astronauts.

Fortuneately, two events occured in the 1980's: the rise of the
European automated commercial launch service, and the Challenger
disaster.   For astronaut groupies, Challenger only turned heroes
into martyrs, and more money went into making the Shuttle "safe".
But the commercial and defense sectors reacted quickly and decisively.
The Reagan Administration revived the U.S. automated launcher business
by divorcing it from NASA; putting it in the private sector.  The DoD
started developing the automated Titan IV to launch Shuttle-sized and
smaller payloads without the overhead of astronauts.  Despite
problems with NASA, the DoD's automated infrastructure was quite effective
during this period, motivating large increases to the DoD space budget,
including the ambitious SDI program to develop automated missiles and
spacecraft to shoot down ICBM's.  This infrastructure proved to be
useful in several campains from Panama to Desert Storm.  Perhaps
most importantly of all, it was decisive to the START treaties to
lower the numbers of nuclear weapons.   Real space infrastructure was
helping humans on Earth, and during this period the DoD space
budget grew from a fraction of NASA's to twice NASA's.

The myth that astronaut programs are needed to motivate NASA funding,
and the resulting destruction caused to space science, continues to
this day.  The latest example is the crippling of CRAF, Cassinni, and
other projects to fund the latest astronaut toy, Space Station "Freedom".
Only when the U.S. space program sheds its political misconceptions
and starts focusing on productive programs will we be able to move
beyond the current dismal state of the public civilian program.
Until we wake up to the political and economic reality of the 1990's,
space science and exploration will struggle near death.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (06/18/91)

There is a gap in Nick Szabo's account of the early space age.
The President's Scientific Advisory Committee, which recommended
the Explorer project, successfully recommended that Explorer use
hardware developed entirely separately from military hardware.
The explicit hope was that this would serve as an example of
separating civilian from military use of space and would influence
the Soviet Union to do likewise.  This had several consequences.

1. It didn't influence the Soviet Union in the slightest, since it was
based on a considerable misconception of what the Soviet Union was
like.

2. It required forbidding the von Braun group at Redstone from
launching a satellite based on the Jupiter IRBM rocket.
The von Braun group was ready much earlier.

3. It made the Explorer project one of minimal capability -
18 pounds - as compared to 200 and 2000 pounds for Sputniks
I and II.  I'm not sure the reason for this was entirely
budgetary; I suspect PSAC felt that any space activity would
be regarded as science fictionary and wanted to be modest to
preserve respectability.

4. The shoestring Explorer project experience long delays
and then failed spectacularly twice two months after Sputnik.

5. The von Braun group was given the go-ahead after Sputnik
and successfully launched a satellite before the first
successful Explorer launch.

6. Purity was abandoned completely after Sputnik.

In my opinion, the main reason for the decline in space funding
during and after Apollo was a major change in the American media
triggered by the Vietnam War.  The expectation of NASA and the
Kennedy Administration was that success with Apollo would
result in public enthusiasm for further manned exploration.
Von Braun published an article about an expedition to Mars.
I think they were right.

However, by the time of the first moon landing, the mood of the media
had completely changed.  For example, Life Magazine chose as their
main writer about the effort Norman Mailer.  He referred to himself as
Aquarius, sneered at the project and the astronauts and chose as
the butt of his ridicule a Redstone engineering manager named
George Mueller who had come from Germany with von Braun.

Recall that George McGovern said that if he were elected President in
1972 and if Apollo were launched in late December before he took
office, there wouldn't be any aircraft carriers to pick up the
astronauts after he took office.  I think it was a joke.
Fortunately, Nixon was re-elected.
--
John McCarthy

"The people of the antipodes, gazing at the moon when for us it is only
a small crescent, remark, 'What a splendid brightness!  It's nearly full
moon'" - Stendhal, Memoirs of an Egotist

dsmith@hplabs.hpl.hp.com (David Smith) (06/18/91)

In article <JMC.91Jun17200833@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@cs.Stanford.EDU writes:
>2. It required forbidding the von Braun group at Redstone from
>launching a satellite based on the Jupiter IRBM rocket.
>The von Braun group was ready much earlier.

The von Braun group's launcher was based on the Redstone, despite the fact
that they called it Jupiter-C.

>3. It made the Explorer project one of minimal capability -
>18 pounds - as compared to 200 and 2000 pounds for Sputniks
>4. The shoestring Explorer project experience long delays
>and then failed spectacularly twice two months after Sputnik.

You're thinking of Vanguard, not Explorer.

>5. The von Braun group was given the go-ahead after Sputnik
>and successfully launched a satellite before the first
>successful Explorer launch.

Their satellite *was* the first Explorer launch.

--
David R. Smith, HP Labs		| "There are two kinds of truth.
dsmith@hplabs.hp.com		| There are real truths,

szabo@sequent.com (06/18/91)

In article <JMC.91Jun17200833@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@cs.Stanford.EDU writes:

>...The expectation of NASA and the
>Kennedy Administration was that success with Apollo would
>result in public enthusiasm for further manned exploration.

Which turned out to be completely wrong, as the funding precipitously
declined during Apollo.  Did NASA learn the lesson?  Sadly, no.

>However, by the time of the first moon landing, the mood of the media
>had completely changed.

The media is part of the U.S. body politic, right?  If you can't
influence the media, you are going to have a much tougher time
convincing the citizens.

>For example, Life Magazine chose as their
>main writer about the effort Norman Mailer.

Who put out some of the most poetic prose ever written about space.
Most of the stuff the astronauts said ("Gee, Earth looks beautiful
from up here!") is downright silly by comparison.  You forgot to
mention David Bowie, who wrote "Space Oddity" around this time:

For here I am
Floating in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Bowie captured the essence of the uselessness of launching pilots in
tin cans.   This remains the most popular song about the 60's era
spaceflights, and it is especially popular with intellectuals and
opinion makers.  The media, a good chunk of the American public,
scientists, space explorers, space defense and commercial space industry
understood.  The NASA leadership still doesn't get it.

>Recall that George McGovern said that if he were elected President in
>1972 and if Apollo were launched in late December before he took
>office, there wouldn't be any aircraft carriers to pick up the
>astronauts after he took office.  I think it was a joke.

There is no doubt that McGovern, and the more popular politicians such
as Humphrey, Proxmire, Mondale, et. al. would have trashed NASA completely
as a response to the percieved waste of Apollo.   When you spend billions
on a highly visible government project, you become a target.

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...
These views are my own, and do not represent any organization.

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (06/19/91)

I indeed errored in writing Explorer instead of Vanguard.  The error
was especially bad, since Explore was the name of the von Braun
project.
--
John McCarthy

"The people of the antipodes, gazing at the moon when for us it is only
a small crescent, remark, 'What a splendid brightness!  It's nearly full
moon'" - Stendhal, Memoirs of an Egotist

dodson@convex.COM (Dave Dodson) (06/19/91)

In article <JMC.91Jun17200833@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU> jmc@cs.Stanford.EDU writes:
There is a major error in this article.  Explorer was von Braun's satellite,
launched aboard a Jupiter C rocket, which had a Redstone first stage and two
solid fueled upper stages.  The solid fuel rocket in the Explorer's body was
the 4th stage.  Jupiter C was developed to test reentry vehicles for ICBMs.
If you are old enough, you may recall a 1956 or 1957 speech to the nation by
President Eisenhower stating that the reentry problem had been solved, and
displaying a reentry vehicle that had been launched aboard a Jupiter C.

What is called Explorer here really was the Vanguard project.

>There is a gap in Nick Szabo's account of the early space age.
>The President's Scientific Advisory Committee, which recommended
>the Explorer project, successfully recommended that Explorer use
     ^^^^^^^^                                        ^^^^^^^^
     Vanguard                                        Vanguard
>hardware developed entirely separately from military hardware.
>The explicit hope was that this would serve as an example of
>separating civilian from military use of space and would influence
>the Soviet Union to do likewise.  This had several consequences.
>
>1. It didn't influence the Soviet Union in the slightest, since it was
>based on a considerable misconception of what the Soviet Union was
>like.
>
>2. It required forbidding the von Braun group at Redstone from
>launching a satellite based on the Jupiter IRBM rocket.
>The von Braun group was ready much earlier.

As mentioned above, it was the Jupiter C rocket, not the Jupiter IRBM.
The Jupiter IRBM was the first stage later for the Juno rocket, which
was used in 1959 to launch several payloads past the moon.

>3. It made the Explorer project one of minimal capability -
                ^^^^^^^^
		Vanguard
>18 pounds - as compared to 200 and 2000 pounds for Sputniks
>I and II.  I'm not sure the reason for this was entirely
>budgetary; I suspect PSAC felt that any space activity would
>be regarded as science fictionary and wanted to be modest to
>preserve respectability.
>
>4. The shoestring Explorer project experience long delays
                   ^^^^^^^^
		   Vanguard
>and then failed spectacularly twice two months after Sputnik.
>
>5. The von Braun group was given the go-ahead after Sputnik
>and successfully launched a satellite before the first
>successful Explorer launch.
            ^^^^^^^^
            Vanguard

Von Braun launched Explorer 1 on January 31, 1958, if I remember correctly.
This was about 90 days after he had been given approval to proceed with an
attempt to launch an earth satellite, and included the time to design, build,
and test the satellite, as well as assemble the Jupiter C and wait for good
weather.  The launch occurred less than 4 months after Sputnik 1.

>6. Purity was abandoned completely after Sputnik.

Dave Dodson		                             dodson@convex.COM
Convex Computer Corporation      Richardson, Texas      (214) 497-4234

szabo@sequent.com (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.171337.4347@convex.com> dodson@convex.COM (Dave Dodson) writes:

>There is a major error in this article.  Explorer was von Braun's satellite,

Explorer was a JPL satellite with James Van Allen's instruments.  It was
launched on Von Braun's Jupiter C.  At that time both Huntsville and
JPL were part of the U.S. Army.   Huntsville's mission was building
IRBM's and ICBM's.  There is a famous photo of Von Braun, Van Allen, and
William Pickering of JPL holding aloft a model of the first U.S. satellite
in triumph.   The teamwork between explorers and rocket builders has gone
downhill since then....