[sci.space] Galileo probe hears AM radio stations

wa2ise@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (robert.f.casey) (06/19/91)

In the June 8 Science News (vol 139, page 356), at the end of article
"Startling Tales from the Magnetotail" the last paragraph says that
Galileo's plasma wave detector detected AM radio station signals when
the probe was in the Earth's magnetic tail.  Guess this sets a record
for the longest DX of AM stations!  The article doesn't say which band
it heard the stations, But here in USA, AM is usually means MW.

sw@cbnewsl.att.com (Stuart Warmink) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.191645.10177@cbfsb.att.com>, wa2ise@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (robert.f.casey) writes:
> In the June 8 Science News (vol 139, page 356), at the end of article
> "Startling Tales from the Magnetotail" the last paragraph says that
> Galileo's plasma wave detector detected AM radio station signals when
> the probe was in the Earth's magnetic tail.  Guess this sets a record
> for the longest DX of AM stations! [...]

But the only two times that Galileo was anywhere near the Earth's magnetotail,
Galileo was relatively close to Earth, surely? At launch it was inside the
Van Allen belts, so that may not even count - and immediatly after launch
it may well have been in the magnetotail for a short while, but because
of Galileo's trajectory (towards the Sun) it couldn't have been for very
long, if it went through it at all. But the instruments hadn't been powered
up anyway!

The second time was during last December's fly-by. Can't remember the exact
distance, but it was on the order of a few hundred miles at closest
approach I think. Before and after closest approach Galileo would have been
in the magnetotail too, but as it was traveling at right angles to the tail
Galileo couldn't have encountered it too far from Earth? Just wondering...

Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA  |  sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM  |  Atoms are Good
Stuart Warmink, Whippany, NJ, USA  |  sw@cbnewsl.ATT.COM  |       Hi!