[sci.space] Access to Space

szabo@sequent.com (06/17/91)

In article <2980@ke4zv.UUCP> gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) writes:

>trying to kill NASA and US access to space.

Astronaut access to space != US access to space.   Your astronaut
fetish is showing through.  In fact we have a thriving communications
industry which provides billions of people access to each
other via space.  We could also have a thriving space exploration
and science program if the greedy astronaut programs were not soaking
up the bulk of the funds.  The Europeans have quite substantial
access to space via Ariane and Giotto, et. al., with astronauts nowhere
in sight.

Also, I haven't heard of anybody trying to kill the Shuttle lately (except
Allen Sherzer).

--
Nick Szabo			szabo@sequent.com
Embrace Change...  Keep the Values...  Hold Dear the Laughter...

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun17.152849.11430@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>We could also have a thriving space exploration
>and science program if the greedy astronaut programs were not soaking
>up the bulk of the funds.

In the short run, yes. In the long run we are far better off building the
infrastructure. Doing so wold reduce costs to LEO and permit a lot more
to be done. Eventually we would get to the point where PhD students could
send their own probes out. That will produce far more results in the long
run than your short term approach.

>The Europeans have quite substantial access to space via Ariane and Giotto,
>et. al., with astronauts nowhere  in sight.

And yet they still feel the need to build Hermes so they can have a manned
program. In fact, ALL the spacefaring nations either have or are building
manned systems at great expense. Perhaps they know something?

  Allen
|Allen W. Sherzer |   DETROIT: Where the weak are killed and eaten.         |
|   aws@iti.org   |                                                         |

szabo@sequent.com (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.165036.6816@iti.org> aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) writes:
>In article <1991Jun17.152849.11430@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:
>
>>We could also have a thriving space exploration
>>and science program if the greedy astronaut programs were not soaking
>>up the bulk of the funds.
>
>In the short run, yes. In the long run we are far better off building the
>infrastructure.

We need self-sufficient infrastructure, which is what I have been
advocating.  You have been promoting 1960's tin cans, which have
nothing to do with infrastructure or the economical habitation of space.

Meanwhile, most of the technology and exploration needed to expand our
self-sufficient infrastructure remains unfunded, due to the neglect of the
NASA leadership and promoters of astronaut programs such as yourself,
greedily soaking up the bulk of the funds for short-term, astronauts-now
projects.

>Doing so wold reduce costs to LEO and permit a lot more
>to be done.

Sorry, we have been following your strategy for 20 years and the cost
to LEO for astronauts has _increased_, not decreased.

Furthermore, over 90% of the self-sufficient industry is in GEO and SSO,
not LEO.   Putting $multi-billion centralized satellites in LEO is
pork barrel, not infrastructure.

>Eventually we would get to the point where PhD students could
>send their own probes out. That will produce far more results in the long
>run than your short term approach.

Why do you think I am advocating the development of Iridium-type technology?
We need to move towards the next generation of space technology, not
backwards to the 1960's.

As for the silly "long term vs. short term" rhetoric, decades-long
projects that develop little new technology are far worse for the
future than quick, short-range projects that advance the state of the
art.  Worse still are short-range programs to launch a tiny number
of astronauts in tin cans by the next decade, instead of doing the
hard work needed to develop self-sufficient industries that can be used to
build economical habitats over the longer term.

>>The Europeans have quite substantial access to space via Ariane and Giotto,
>>et. al., with astronauts nowhere  in sight.
>
>And yet they still feel the need to build Hermes so they can have a manned
>program.

Only as a sad mimicry of the U.S.   Europe (largely France) also has
its astronaut groupies.  Most of the space scientists and commercial
space people in Europe are opposed to Hermes, just as most of these
people in the U.S. are opposed to Fred.  Even as we speak, Ariane 5 is being
redesigned from a large satellite carrier into an HLV whose only purpose
in life will be to lift two astronauts into LEO.  Every nation in
Europe except France has been trying to stop this nonsense.  Sadly,
France has not learned from our mistakes (and their successes).
Europe will probably lose its leadership in the commercial space
launch field by the end of the decade, for the same reasons the U.S.
lost that leadership to Europe in the 1980's.

--

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.220510.15128@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>>In the short run, yes. In the long run we are far better off building the
>>infrastructure.

>We need self-sufficient infrastructure, which is what I have been
>advocating.

We have never had a self-sustaining infrastructure. Where it not for the
cold war we would have no launchers today. If the government assumes the
role it always had and makes the investment (which they have yet to do)
then we will have the infrastructure we need.

It would have been interesting to hear your agruements through history. You
would have complained about the nasty 'central planners' who where
subsidizing the trans-continental railroad. When the Kelly Act began
using govenrment money to build airports and encouraging with subsidies
large multi-engine aircraft no doubt you would have complained about
those 'pilot groupies' diverting diverting needed funds away from
baloon technology into their heavier-than-air 'tin cans'.

>You have been promoting 1960's tin cans, which have
>nothing to do with infrastructure or the economical habitation of space.

I have posted a lot on what I would do. It has little to do with tin
cans and everything to do with cheap access to space. The methods I
advocated will reduce cost to orbit by a factor of three. You claim it
will take 50 years to do (and under your ideas, it would) yet it
can be done in three.

What's wrong with 60's technology if it reduces costs?

>>Doing so wold reduce costs to LEO and permit a lot more
>>to be done.

>Sorry, we have been following your strategy for 20 years and the cost
>to LEO for astronauts has _increased_, not decreased.

Do you actually think we have been following the approach I advocate
for the last 20 years? I thought you understood it better.

>Furthermore, over 90% of the self-sufficient industry is in GEO and SSO,
>not LEO.

Nick, we have no self-sufficient industry anywhere in space. Nothing
ever launched in the commercial area has come close to paying the full
cost of their launches.

>>>The Europeans have quite substantial access to space via Ariane and Giotto,
>>>et. al., with astronauts nowhere  in sight.

>>And yet they still feel the need to build Hermes so they can have a manned
>>program.

>Only as a sad mimicry of the U.S.

I see. If you like it it is 'forward thinking efforts we would do well to
emulate'. When you don't like it it is 'sad mimicry of the US'. You can't
have it both ways, either they know what they are doing or they don't.

>Even as we speak, Ariane 5 is being
>redesigned from a large satellite carrier into an HLV whose only purpose
>in life will be to lift two astronauts into LEO.

Huh? Several problems here:

1. The main reason for Ariane 5 IS Hermes. Without Hermes there would be no
   need for Airane 5.
2. No design changes are being considered which will preclude using
   Ariane 5 for satellites.
3. Ariand 5 is NOT a HLV; it will lift about as much as a Titan IV.

>Every nation in
>Europe except France has been trying to stop this nonsense.

Hermes is overrunning but I suspect is will survive the meeting in
November.  As to it being nonsense, they did decide to build it and
they do think it is a good idea.

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.220510.15128@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>We need self-sufficient infrastructure, which is what I have been
>advocating.  You have been promoting 1960's tin cans, which have
>nothing to do with infrastructure or the economical habitation of space.

Well, let me think.  Past technology is right out, (as it should be, IMHO)
and current technology is out, so what does that leave for development
of manned presence in space?  We'll never get to space if we don't try
to learn about it, and that's what we're doing right now.  Each step in
the manned space program (X-15/manned capsules/Shuttle/NASP) is or
will be another step towards a viable manned presence, each of which built
on the program before it.  There will always be unmanned projects worthy
of funding, but if we follow your logic then there will never be a manned
one worthy of it.  I much prefer the way we do things now.

>Meanwhile, most of the technology and exploration needed to expand our
>self-sufficient infrastructure remains unfunded, due to the neglect of the
>NASA leadership and promoters of astronaut programs such as yourself,
>greedily soaking up the bulk of the funds for short-term, astronauts-now
>projects.

Yeah, yeah, and if we did things your way, the technology and development
needed to improve our manned capabilities in space would remain unfunded,
due to the absorption of funds by greedy unmanned-science types.  Where's
the gain?  Fund them *both*, as we are now.

>Furthermore, over 90% of the self-sufficient industry is in GEO and SSO,
>not LEO.   Putting $multi-billion centralized satellites in LEO is
>pork barrel, not infrastructure.

Communications satellites are a pretty loose defintion of 'industry'; I
am not terribly impressed by an example that uses passive objects in high
orbit that do little more than bounce and amplify signals sent from the
ground.

GEO is easier to reach, safer for both manned and unmanned endeavours,
and easier to get back from; I see nothing wrong with working in it.

>>And yet they still feel the need to build Hermes so they can have a manned
>>program.

>Only as a sad mimicry of the U.S.   Europe (largely France) also has

And the Soviet Union.  China and Japan are also working on manned
space programs.  Great Britain is considering launching manned vehicles
from the back of a Soviet transport craft.  But hey, they're all just
copying the U.S., so we can dismiss their efforts as pork-barreling
and groupiness, too.
--
Matthew DeLuca
Georgia Institute of Technology      "I'd hire the Dorsai, if I knew their

szabo@sequent.com (06/19/91)

In article <31516@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) writes:

>Communications satellites are a pretty loose defintion of 'industry'; I
>am not terribly impressed by an example that uses passive objects in high
>orbit that do little more than bounce and amplify signals sent from the
>ground.

Interesting.  This ("loosely" defined :-) self-sustaining industry is $6
billion per year. The proposed El Dorado platinum mining would be $3
billion per year.  CNN, MTV, News Corp., TV network communications, direct
broadcast TV and radio, Ted Turner, Rupert Murdoch, international telephone
calls, data communications, wire services, the international legs of
USENET, etc.  Not terribly impressive.

Now that's special.

--

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.172719.26033@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>>Communications satellites are a pretty loose defintion of 'industry'...

>Interesting.  This ("loosely" defined :-) self-sustaining industry is $6
>billion per year.                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is a big industry but it is by no means self-sustaining. Buyers of
launch services only pay the incrimental cost of their launches. They
use huge amounts of infrastructure provided by nasty central planners
(some of it constructed to support evil manned space). This is true for
every launch proveder in the world today.

If we did it your way there wouldn't be any launchers at all.

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.172719.26033@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:
>In article <31516@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) writes:

>>Communications satellites are a pretty loose defintion of 'industry'[...]

>Interesting.  This ("loosely" defined :-) self-sustaining industry is $6
>billion per year. The proposed El Dorado platinum mining would be $3
>billion per year.  CNN, MTV, News Corp., TV network communications, direct
>broadcast TV and radio, Ted Turner, Rupert Murdoch, international telephone
>calls, data communications, wire services, the international legs of
>USENET, etc.  Not terribly impressive.

Communications satellites are a service.  The service sector of the
economy does not create signifigant real wealth, so I don't consider it
a very impressive industry.  The only real industry involved is planted
solidly on the ground, in building the rockets, satellites, and transmission
and receiving stations.

Granted, that is good; it is a net benefit to the national economy.  But
to call it a 'self-sustaining industry' is akin to your last abuse of the
English language, calling a rockhunt in Antarctica a 'manned asteroid
sample-return mission'.  Subtle abuse of the language is rapidly placing
your name alongside that of my two favorite sci.space demagogues, William
Baxter and Jim Bowery.  Entertainment value, nothing more.

--

In article <1991Jun18.182934.17996@iti.org> aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) writes:

>[Satellite communications] is a big industry but it is by no means
>self-sustaining. Buyers of launch services only pay the incrimental cost
>of their launches.  They use huge amounts of infrastructure provided by
>nasty central planners (some of it constructed to support evil manned
>space).

Oh boy, now we're down to "good vs. evil".  So who is Darth Vader here?
The TV networks and telephone companies using those evil robotic
communications satellites?  Or perhaps the people watching the TV
or making the phone calls?  May the Force be with you.  :-)

Seriously, my goal is and always has been to create an economical, self-
sustaining manned infrastructure in space.  I am afraid that the
solution is a bit more subtle and long-term than launching tin cans into LEO
that cost 2,000,000 times what it costs to build a house on Earth, without
producing any significant revenues.  That is not economical.  That is not
self-sustaining.  It is not even close.

The U.S. commercial launch vehicles use USAF launch pads developed for
the DoD automated infrastructure (which is also, sadly, self-sustaining,
insofar as there are still Saddam Husseins and Soviets with thousands of
nuclear tipped ICBMs and other assorted hazards on our planet).   The
automated launchers were themselves developed from automated ICBMs
(Thor, Atlas, Titan).   For the European launch service, both the launch
pad and the automated Ariane rocket were built from scratch to launch
automated commercial payloads.  The amount of Apollo and Shuttle
infrastructure used by the satcom industry is practically nil, despite
the $100's of billions NASA has spent on it.

--

In article <1991Jun18.195748.27968@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>Oh boy, now we're down to "good vs. evil".

I'm just using your own words Nick. If you don't like them then
don't use them. As to the rest of it, I am just pointing out that
if the standards you apply to projects you don't like where applied
to projects you do like, then they wouldn't have them either.

Communication satellites are NOT self sustaining because they only
pay incrimental launch costs. This is true for both the US and all
world providers.

In article <1991Jun18.210350.28925@iti.org> aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) writes:

>Communication satellites are NOT self sustaining because they only
>pay incrimental launch costs. This is true for both the US and all
>world providers.

Well, depends on your point of view.  From the perspective of the companies
launching the satellites, the (IMHO the appropriate point of view) the
satellites are indeed 'self-sustaining' (is this another term for
profitable?) since they produce more revenue over their lifetimes than it
costs them to build and launch.  This is practically a tautology, since
companies would not be in the comsat business were this not true.

Now, if you take into account all the 'hidden' costs behind the launching
of the satellite, are you saying that the comsats would no longer be
worth launching?
--

In article <31548@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) writes:

>Communications satellites are a service.  The service sector of the
>economy does not create signifigant real wealth,

If the ability to communicate instantly across the planet does not
constitute "wealth", what does?   My particular business, Sequent,
would lose over half of its revenues if we couldn't talk and send
faxes to our European offices via satellite.

Perhaps we could also say that steel mills and airplanes don't
create real wealth, because that's merely manufacturing and
transportation.  Only farms that make food are real wealth.
Ad absurdum.

I find your arguments quite astounding.  Perhaps what you are really
trying to say is that, because the industry does not employ astronauts,
you don't care about it?

--

rwmurphr@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert W Murphree) (06/19/91)

aws@iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) writes:

>In article <1991Jun17.152849.11430@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:

>>We could also have a thriving space exploration
>>and science program if the greedy astronaut programs were not soaking
>>up the bulk of the funds.

>In the short run, yes. In the long run we are far better off building the
>infrastructure. Doing so wold reduce costs to LEO and permit a lot more
>to be done. Eventually we would get to the point where PhD students could
>send their own probes out. That will produce far more results in the long
>run than your short term approach.

>>The Europeans have quite substantial access to space via Ariane and Giotto,
>>et. al., with astronauts nowhere  in sight.

>And yet they still feel the need to build Hermes so they can have a manned
>program. In fact, ALL the spacefaring nations either have or are building
>manned systems at great expense. Perhaps they know something?

Actually, James Oberg once talked on macneil leher report about the soviet
buran shuttle.  He said that basically it was a make work project for the
soviet space agencies involved.  What other nations know is that basically
there is great prestige to manned space and less for unmanned.  But I don't
think there is any real use for shuttles except to make nasa video clips.

In article <1991Jun18.215511.29612@sequent.com> szabo@sequent.com writes:
>In article <31548@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) writes:

>>Communications satellites are a service.  The service sector of the
>>economy does not create signifigant real wealth,

>If the ability to communicate instantly across the planet does not
>constitute "wealth", what does?   My particular business, Sequent,
>would lose over half of its revenues if we couldn't talk and send
>faxes to our European offices via satellite.

If you couldn't talk to Europe instantaneously, would the demand for
computers in Europe be less?  No, there would just be two companies
instead of one, or several companies.  All advanced communications allows
Sequent to do is expand the scope of its operations.  It does not actually
create wealth.

(Considering our experiences with the Sequent I am on now, cutting your
satellite links might be a good idea...but that's another article. :-)

>Perhaps we could also say that steel mills and airplanes don't
>create real wealth, because that's merely manufacturing and
>transportation.  Only farms that make food are real wealth.
>Ad absurdum.

Manufacturing indeed creates wealth, as it adds value to something.  What
does a comsat add value to?  Airplanes don't create wealth, either, they
just provide a service.

>I find your arguments quite astounding.  Perhaps what you are really
>trying to say is that, because the industry does not employ astronauts,
>you don't care about it?

Perhaps you have a hole in your head, too.

Where did I say I do not care about the communications satellites?  I think
they're a great idea.  I am taking issue with your statement that comsats
are a self-sustaining industry, because they're only industry in the loosest
sense of the word.  Asteroid mining (manned or unmanned) would create wealth.
Space-based materials processing would create wealth.  Solar power satellites
would create wealth.  Communications satellites don't create wealth.  Do you
see what I am getting at?

You've gotten into a rut on your anti-astronaut crusade...it's starting to
color your perceptions of other people's articles.