[sci.space] CNN Report On Paris Airshow

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (06/15/91)

CNN Headline News had a blurb on the Paris Airshow tonight.
I thought I would pass on what I caught of the report.

US military aircraft are on display complete with US troops.
Planes shown on the video include the F-117A 'Stealth Bomber',
F-14 Tomcat, A-10 Warthog (complete with kill stats painted on
the nose), F-15 Eagle, and the AH-64 attack chopper.  (It seems
that every black plane is a 'stealth bomber' to the media these
days.)

The Soviets unvail the Mig-31.  The Mig is on static display
and will fly at some point during the show.  It looks like
an Eagle (twin tails) and is painted white with blue stripes.
What more can one say after having a 4 second glimpse?

Airbus has an extensive commercial jetliner display.

Hermes mock-up on display.  Mir mock-up.  CNN also filmed some
type of multi-nation (non-US) space hardware that I did not catch--it
looked like a space station and I think they called it the Columbus.
Anyone know what I might have seen?

An Ariane (sp?) rocket is on display.  It is set up in a vertical
position.  Looks real cool.

An unnamed new French delta-wing fighter was shown flying across
the show line upside-down.  It looked similar to a Mirage 2000 to me.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john

hthomas@irisa.fr (Henry Thomas) (06/17/91)

In article <875@newave.UUCP>, john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:
|> CNN Headline News had a blurb on the Paris Airshow tonight.
|> I thought I would pass on what I caught of the report.
|> [...]
|>
|> Hermes mock-up on display.  Mir mock-up.  CNN also filmed some
|> type of multi-nation (non-US) space hardware that I did not catch--it
|> looked like a space station and I think they called it the Columbus.
|> Anyone know what I might have seen?

Colombus is the european module which should be connected to the space station freedom. And Hermes would enable european astronauts the access to such module, independently of the american fancyness.

|>|US military aircraft are on display complete with US troops.
|>Planes shown on the video include the F-117A 'Stealth Bomber',
|>F-14 Tomcat, A-10 Warthog (complete with kill stats painted on
|>the nose), F-15 Eagle, and the AH-64 attack chopper.  (It seems
All these bombers have a stick on them : "Proved in combat". Is there a stick on the victims "Tested in combat" ?

--
Henry Thomas - IRISA 		 - E-mail: Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr
Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu - Phone: (+33)99 36 20 00 +549

ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) (06/18/91)

In article <875@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>The Soviets unvail the Mig-31.  The Mig is on static display
>and will fly at some point during the show.  It looks like
>an Eagle (twin tails) and is painted white with blue stripes.
>What more can one say after having a 4 second glimpse?

The MiG-31 isn't exactly a new aircraft; it's basically a reworked
version of the MiG-25, which was initially designed to counter the B-70
Valkyrie.
--
Matthew DeLuca
Georgia Institute of Technology      "I'd hire the Dorsai, if I knew their

woody@udcf.glasgow.ac.uk (Ian Woodrow) (06/18/91)

>An Ariane (sp?) rocket is on display.  It is set up in a vertical
>position.  Looks real cool.

That is always sitting at Le Bourget - it's part of the museum methinks.

--
W@@DY_______________________________________________________________________
 /Ian Woodrow, Computing Service, Uni of Glasgow, GLASGOW G12 8QQ, Scotland \

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (06/19/91)

In article <31509@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccoprmd@prism.gatech.EDU (Matthew DeLuca) writes:

>The MiG-31 isn't exactly a new aircraft; it's basically a reworked
>version of the MiG-25, which was initially designed to counter the B-70
>Valkyrie.
>--
     Does the CNN broadcast actually show the B-70 in flight?
     IMHO it still qualifies as one of the most beautiful
     aircraft ever built.

     When the Kennedy administration killed the B-70, I became
     a permanent republican....

mkwan@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Matthew Kwan) (06/19/91)

>     Does the CNN broadcast actually show the B-70 in flight?
>     IMHO it still qualifies as one of the most beautiful
>     aircraft ever built.

And it had that other feature I always look for in aircraft - it
was LOUD! A mach 3 plane, burning some hellish fuel mixture, the
Valkyrie must come close to holding the record for loudest plane ever.

mkwan

Matthew Kwan
Centre for Computer Security Research
Australian Defence Force Academy