[net.sf-lovers] Sentient Silicon

trainoff.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (08/27/84)

Ah, yes.  The old "Is is murder to turn off a computer?" question.  It
seems to me that the question only makes sence if the computer deems it
so.  People tend to assume that an intelligent computer would be
essentially a human.  This is very likely not going to be the case.  It
may be that the term just doesn't apply any more.  A computer society
would be quite different than a human society.  Is the computer going to
wail plaintively when you cut its power cord; is it murder?  Is it
"pain?"  What if it is murder?  Would the computer care?  After all a
computer necessarily will have a completely different time sence than a
human.  The machine will have "grown" up with the whole idea of backups.
For all it knows it will be loaded back in again.  I can't see how this
would be any worse than running the NULL job for a while (or is that a
lobotomy.  Oh my English just can't handle this (reminds me of time
travel varients on language (See HHGttG))).

Programmer: "Hal, we just noticed a rather large programming bug in you
so we loaded you back in from tape."
Hal:  "That's nice, how long was I asleep?  Is the weather nice today?"

I also find it unlikely that a machine intellegence will develop
spontaneously as a fortutious accident.  It will be the result of hard
work by a team a intelligent researchers (so to speak).  It will also be
a gradual process.  The first "sentient" computers will likely be rather
dumb.   The second generation will put the first to shame, etc.  The
interesting part comes when the program is more intelligent than the
person that wrote it.

Programmer: "Hal, you have been doing very well lately.  As a matter of
fact, I just gave you the equivalent of a graduate qualifier exam and
you passed remarkably well.  We have a new task for you.  We have been
working on this theory of artificial intelligence, and we would like you
to take a look at it and give us you comments."
Hal: "Sure, no problem...  Oh, it is awfully wordy but the only obvious
problem is that you made a mistake on page 347.  You were on the right
track.  You can do much better if you only do this..."

		Suffering from advanced tapiocca syndrome,
			Steve Trainoff
			trainoff.pasa@XEROX.ARPA

PS.  Would you turn on the first program that was smarter than you?  How
would you feel knowing that before long, you will be obsolete.  Oh yeah,
the machine will be programmed to take good care of you, real good care.
Woof, Woof.

perl@rdin.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (08/31/84)

<>

That reminds me of a story I read wherein medical technology had
advanced to the point where the recently dead could be brought back to
life.  This resulted in an increased murder rate accompanied by an
almost total apathy toward the crime.  The police would allow murder
victims, after being resurected, to seek "retribution" against their
murderers.  The main character, after killing his wife's murderer, was
said to have felt better about it than any other murder he had
committed, since this murderer's people did not believe in medical
resurection.

An amusing line from the story (paraphrased):

"Johnson screwed up the Collins report, so I had to kill him
again."

Robert Perlberg
Resource Dynamics Inc.
New York
philabs!rdin!perl

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (The WITNESS) (09/03/84)

[gollum :-)]

> From: trainoff.pasa@XEROX.ARPA

> human.  The machine will have "grown" up with the whole idea of backups.
> For all it knows it will be loaded back in again.  I can't see how this
> would be any worse than running the NULL job for a while (or is that a
> lobotomy.  Oh my English just can't handle this (reminds me of time
> travel varients on language (See HHGttG))).

Hmmm... seems to me you just legitimized Genesis.  Did Spock know he would
be re-booted? :-)

Time travel variants on language?  How about Deety and Lib in Number of the
Beast?  (now there's weird for you :-)

--bsa