[net.sf-lovers] Some recent awards and nominations

donn%utah-cs@sri-unix.UUCP (09/05/84)

From:  donn@utah-cs (Donn Seeley)

Here are some recent awards and award nominations for novels and
stories, culled from recent reading:

World Fantasy Award nominees (from LOCUS #284):

Novels:
	THE DRAGON WAITING, John M. Ford
	PET SEMATARY, Stephen King
	THE WANDERING UNICORN, Manuel Mujica Lainez
	TEA WITH THE BLACK DRAGON, R.A. MacAvoy
	THE ARMAGEDDON RAG, George R.R. Martin
	LYONESSE, Jack Vance

Novellas:
	'The Lurking Duck', Scott Baker (Omni 12/83)
	'The Monkey's Bride', Michael Bishop (HEROIC VISIONS)
	'Nunc Dimittis', Tanith Lee (DODD, MEAD GALLERY OF HORROR)
	'The Red Hawk', Elizabeth A. Lynn (Cheap Street)
	'Black Air', Kim Stanley Robinson (F&SF 3/83)

Short Stories:
	'The Silent Cradle', Leigh Kennedy (SHADOWS 6)
	'Elle est Trois (La Mort)', Tanith Lee (WHISPERS 4)
	'The Hundred-Year Christmas', David Morrell (Donald M. Grant pub.)
	'Solitario's Eyes', Lucius Shepard (F&SF, 9/83)
	'Into Whose Hands', Karl Edward Wagner, (WHISPERS 4)
	'Wong's Lost and Found Emporium', William Wu (Amazing 5/83)

The 1984 John W. Campbell Memorial Award, given for the best novel of
1983 (not the same as the Campbell award given to best new writer at
WorldCons) went to Gene Wolfe for THE CITADEL OF THE AUTARCH.  (Also
from LOCUS #284.)

Here is how SCIENCE FICTION REVIEW (#52) reported the SCIENCE FICTION
CHRONICLE Awards (voted on by readers of SF CHRONICLE):

Best Novel:		THE ANUBIS GATES, Tim Powers
Best Novella:		'Her Habiline Husband', Michael Bishop
Best Novellette:	'Black Air', Kim Stanley Robinson
Best Short Story:	'The Peacemaker', Gardner Dozois

Still haven't read most of these, but now I have an idea where to
look.  By the way, the 35th anniversary F&SF is now out and it has
some really good stuff in it -- check out especially the Effinger
story (perhaps the funniest thing I've read all year) and the Shepard
story...

Any Hugo updates yet?

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn
From: dcm@wlbr.UUCP (Dave Miller)
Newsgroups: net.flame
Subject: Re: John Delorean
Date: Tue, 4-Sep-84 06:07:34 PDT

(-: Sacrificial offering to the voracious line chomper :*)

	Ok, I've sat back and listened to your flames, now it's my turn
	to flame back.  So put on your asbestos undies.

		       < FLAME ON >
			\vvvvvvvv/

	I have received numerous letters berating me for my statement
	regarding Delorean

	>    "Remember, he could have just said no!"

	now here's my flame.

	First, I did *not* say that he should have backed out, I said
	he should have said *no*.  Not when things started getting
	tough, but when the offer was first made.  Also, I have been
	in some tough financial situations before and I don't recall
	anyone ever just coming up to me (nor can I imagine someone
	taking the chance of doing so) and saying something like:

	"Hey Dave, I heard that your having some financial problems
	you to help me get rid of..."

	It seems to me that anyone dealing in that quantity of coke
	would not just pick a poor bankrupt car maker unless, that
	dealer *knew* that Delorean would accept the offer.  Honestly,
	if you were dealing in something illegal, would you ask someone
	to help you if you weren't sure that they would back you up and
	not run right to the cops?

	Delorean had to be interested to even get involved in a deal of
	that size.  And if anyone is *still* hanging on to the idea that
	Delorean was this innocent guy that the FBI just *happened* to
	decide to offer coke to, when was the last time someone came up
	to you and offered you several million in coke?
	get involved in multi-million dollar coke deals, unless you are
	prepared to convince  me that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and
	the Tooth Fairy are for real also!

		       < FLAME OFF >
			\vvvvvvvvv/

                            Submitted for your approval
                                And if you don't, you can just go find
				yourself a nice million dollar coke deal!
                            David C Miller
                            {ihnp4,trwrb,vortex,scgvaxd}!wlbr!dcm