goun%elmer.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (08/28/84)

From:  goun%elmer.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Roger H. Goun)

The story you're looking for was written by Isaac Asimov.  I'm pretty sure it
appeared in the collection EARTH IS ROOM ENOUGH, but my copy is not in this
state.  I'm somewhat less sure about the story title, but it might be
"Franchise."

					-- Roger Goun

ARPA:    goun%elmer.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
UUCP:    {allegra, decvax, ihnp4, ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-elmer!goun
USPS:    Digital Equipment Corp., HLO2-2/H13
         77 Reed Road; Hudson, MA 01749
Tel:     (617) 568-6311

LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA (08/30/84)

From:  "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

    Date: Friday, 24 August 1984  09:45-EDT
    From: CARROLL at USC-ISIB.ARPA
    To:   SF-LOVERS at MIT-MC
    Re:   Author/title request

       Some years ago I read a story about a presidential election in
    which only one person voted.  Statistical sampling had advanced to
    the point that one specially chosen citizen could be questioned
    about many different things and the outcome of any contest
    predicted, thus saving many megabux in election costs.  It was a
    great honor to be the person chosen, even though you knew that about
    1/2 of the country would be mad at you.  It didn't even matter which
    candidate YOU personally wanted, just how your answers reflected
    society as a whole.  The subject was hooked into a polygraph device,
    not because of fear of lying, but to help measure the exact strength
    of feelings when the verbal answers were given.  Anyone know
    title/author?

I think that the story is by Asimov, although I don't remember the
title.  I think it appeared in an anthology of his called Laughing
Space though (but I can't be sure).

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (The WITNESS) (09/03/84)

[gollum :-)]

> From: CARROLL@USC-ISIB.ARPA

>    Some years ago I read a story about a presidential election in which only
> one person voted.  Statistical sampling had advanced to the point that one
> specially chosen citizen could be questioned about many different things and
> the outcome of any contest predicted, thus saving many megabux in election
> costs.  It was a great honor to be the person chosen, even though you knew
> that about 1/2 of the country would be mad at you.  It didn't even matter
> which candidate YOU personally wanted, just how your answers reflected
> society as a whole.  The subject was hooked into a polygraph device, not
> because of fear of lying, but to help measure the exact strength of feelings
> when the verbal answers were given.  Anyone know title/author?

"Polygraph", indeed!  It was one of Asimov's Multivac stories.  I don't
remember which.

--bsa

paul@wjvax.UUCP (Paul Summers) (09/05/84)

>> From: CARROLL@USC-ISIB.ARPA

>>    Some years ago I read a story about a presidential election in which only
>> one person voted.  Statistical sampling had advanced to the point that one
>> specially chosen citizen could be questioned about many different things and
>> the outcome of any contest predicted, thus saving many megabux in election
>> costs.  It was a great honor to be the person chosen, even though you knew
>> that about 1/2 of the country would be mad at you.  It didn't even matter
>> which candidate YOU personally wanted, just how your answers reflected
>> society as a whole.  The subject was hooked into a polygraph device, not
>> because of fear of lying, but to help measure the exact strength of feelings
>> when the verbal answers were given.  Anyone know title/author?

>"Polygraph", indeed!  It was one of Asimov's Multivac stories.  I don't
>remember which.

>--bsa

The story in question is "Franchise" by Ike Asimov.
--

			Paul Summers
			Watkins Johsnon, Co.