[net.sf-lovers] sf novel identity query

wendya@apollo.UUCP (08/29/84)

I hope someone out there can answer this...
Several years ago, I read a fascinating book which (if I
am not confusing some of them with other books) included
the following elements:
    - A genetically-improved human species which has been
      "quarantined" from ordinary humans, because the
      ordinaries don't quite know what else to do with
      them. (They were an experiment that worked too well.)
    - A captured girl from this race who deliberately
      "unravels" her entire memory back to nothing (i.e.,
      to when she was born) so she won't be able to
      give away secrets of her race's plans to leave
      the planet to the ordinary humans.
    - Among the superior race, a custom of young people
      taking a year or so "off" before entering real
      adulthood to just wander around, learn things,
      and generally have a good time.
    - A very weird kind of "spaceship" hidden under a
      mountain which had to be "flown" in place continually
      until it was ready to leave the planet (carrying all
      the superior humans). Adults of the superior race
      shared the responsibility of "flying" the thing,
      which seems to have been quite a stressful job.
I know this isn't a very complete or informative list, but
I really enjoyed the book and would like to re-read it.
However, I simply cannot remember either the author or the
title. (I do remember what the book jacket looked like, but
that is not much help.)

Please reply via mail...  adTHANKSvance.

W. Christensen

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (08/31/84)

In article <apollo.21734bf2.708> wendya@apollo.UUCP writes:
>I hope someone out there can answer this...
>Several years ago, I read a fascinating book which (if I
>am not confusing some of them with other books) included
>the following elements:
>    - A genetically-improved human species which has been
>      "quarantined" from ordinary humans, because the
>      ordinaries don't quite know what else to do with
>      them. (They were an experiment that worked too well.)
>    - A captured girl from this race who deliberately
>      "unravels" her entire memory back to nothing (i.e.,
>      to when she was born) so she won't be able to
>      give away secrets of her race's plans to leave
>      the planet to the ordinary humans.

etc. etc.

The book is the first of a trilogy by M. A. Foster called
"The Gameplayers of Zan".  I don't remember the names of the
other books.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

geoff@ism780.UUCP (09/07/84)

>> I hope someone out there can answer this...
>>              .... included
>> the following elements:
>>     - A genetically-improved human species which has been
>>       "quarantined" from ordinary humans, because the
>>       ordinaries don't quite know what else to do with
>>       them. (They were an experiment that worked too well.)
They were called 'the Ler'

>> Please reply via mail...  adTHANKSvance.
>> W. Christensen

Sorry for posting this, but I don't know the path from ima ==> apollo
('W.', couldn't you have given us some hints?)

Anyway the book you remember is:

	THE GAMESPLAYERS OF ZAN (for sure)  by  M. A. FOSTER (I think)

I recommend it to all netlanders who enjoy convoluted stories, I couldn't
have remembered as much as W did from one reading, especially since it's the
kind of book one doesn't put down until finished.