[net.sf-lovers] Dune Movie Picture Book

DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA (08/25/84)

From:  Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>

At the local Crown Books today I spotted a book titled "The Dune
Picture Book" (or something to that effect).  It's a "kid's" version
of "Dune" written by Joan D. Vinge, full of photos from the (as yet
unreleased) movie, and apparently meant to capitalize on it.

Having just finished reading "Dune", I glanced through the picture
book to see how much the filmakers had warped the original story.
(I'm assuming that the book and the movie's script match pretty
closely.)  Wonderously enough, the only major digression I spotted
was that the Paul brings the Fremen a device  (developed by
his father's staff) that transforms the Bene Gesserit "voice"
into a weapon of destruction.  If you've seen the previews, it's
shown in the scene where the voice-over says "where a word can kill..."

>From the photos, the sets and special effects look like the best
since the first Star Wars film.  Linda Hall (award winner for her role
in "The Year of Living Dangerously") plays Shadout Mapes.

Anyway, I can hardly wait!

-Cat Dennett

{DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA}
-------

Woody.pasa@XEROX.ARPA (09/04/84)

   Date: Sat 25 Aug 84 14:55:38-PDT
   From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
   Subject: Dune Movie Picture Book
   Having just finished reading "Dune", I glanced through the picture
   book to see how much the filmakers had warped the original story.
   (I'm assuming that the book and the movie's script match pretty
   closely.)  Wonderously enough, the only major digression I spotted
   was that the Paul brings the Fremen a device (developed by his
   father's staff) that transforms the Bene Gesserit "voice" into a
   weapon of destruction.  If you've seen the previews, it's shown in
   the scene where the voice-over says "where a word can kill..."
   -Cat Dennett

We're in trouble now, folks.

I've had reservations about "Dune: The Movie" since it was announced
three million years ago.  But, now:  how can you fit in a device like
the one above into a perfectly good story ("Dune: The Book") without
screwing it up?  I mean, what are the Fremen going to do with the
device?  Look at it, chuckle, and continue on like "Dune: The Book?"

What I don't believe is that somewhere, in the vast wasteland known
as Hollywood, there is a movie script writer with the nerve to think
that he can take an excellent book and improve it for the movies.
[No arguments that the movie script writer isn't in Hollywood; you
know what I mean anyways...]  The best a script writer can do is
try to fit the book into the two hours allowed for a movie.

And he (whoever he is) had the nerve to fit in a new device.

*sigh*  And now I know why I got out of Filmmaking and into Computer
Science.  It was a wise choice on my part.

    From the failing fingers of
       - Bill Woody

P.S.  Oh, I still can't wait for the movie!  I just don't expect the
quality of the book, that's all.  [Come on, with a book THAT good,
do you 'spect a better movie???]

Caro.PA@XEROX.ARPA (09/06/84)

>>And he (whoever he is) had the nerve to fit in a new device.

This is particularly obnoxious in the face of the Butlerian Jihad!
Where did this device come from?  Ix?

My expectations for the movie are so low that I doubt that I can be
seriously disappointed.  The movie trailer sure looks gee-whiz, but I
can't see that special-effects could replace the intricate plot(s) in
the book.

I did have one expectation, which of course is not fulfilled in the
movie.  I don't know about anyone else, but it seemed to me that Herbert
intentionally gave the Fremen an Arabian (near eastern anyway) motiff.
So why is it that the Fremen in the movie (trailer) look like a bunch of
surfers off of Malibu, wetsuits and all??  Is this an unreasonable
interpretation?

Anyway, my money is on 2010, negative rumours notwithstanding.

Perry

PS
Oh yes, the actor who plays Harkonnen isn't fat enough.

albert@oliven.UUCP (LuigiAlberto Piodisavoia) (09/07/84)

I have heard from somebody that there are no 'Makers' to be seen
in this movie.  I realize the difficulty involved in creating
special effect involving giant worms, but I cannont conceive of a
movie version of DUNE without giant worm scenes.  Does anybody
know more about the subject ?

				Alberto @ Olivetti ATC

				Mentat trainee.