[net.sf-lovers] BRAINSTORM/Cronenberg

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (09/21/84)

From:  boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Jerry Boyajian)

> From: LFeinberg.es@XEROX.ARPA
> The movie "Brainstorm" had very much the look of the director
> [Walter?]  Cronenberg, who directed Scanners, Videodrome, and a
> couple other movies.  This "look" was evidenced in the casting, the
> subject and script, and in the high-tech institutional shots
> throughtout the movie.  Can anyone tell me if he was ever associated
> with the movie?  Was he the original director before Natalie Wood's
> death put the movie on hold?

Nope. It was Doug Trumball all the way. A few points:

(1) It's David Cronenberg.
(2) The only similarity I could see in the casting was the male
    lead Christopher Walken in both BRAINSTORM and Cronenberg's
    THE DEAD ZONE. Cronenberg tends to use Canadian bit-players,
    and/or moderate-unknowns. BRAINSTORM was star-studded.
(3) The only similarity that I could see in the story is that
    Cronenberg has a fetish for plots of a biological (or, more
    accurately, physiological) nature. It would be stretching
    things to say that BRAINSTORM had a similar theme, but the
    point *could* be argued.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA