[misc.invest] Tandy buys GRiD

rudy@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Scott W. Rudy III) (03/22/88)

I just heard that Tandy purchased the durable laptop PC company, GRiD.
Apparently there was an article in the Wall Street Journal that
described the deal in detail.  Does anyone have any info on this deal?
Will we begin to see GRiDs in Radio Shack stores?  Will GRiD's
corporate headquarters get shuffled?

		Thank you for any info
--
Scott W. Rudy III               Phone:  (703) 848-7307
The BDM Corporation             Uucp:  {rutgers,vrdxhq,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!rudy

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (03/23/88)

In article <966@bdmrrr.bdm.com>, rudy@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Scott W. Rudy III) writes:
> I just heard that Tandy purchased the durable laptop PC company, GRiD.

This is true.

> Apparently there was an article in the Wall Street Journal that
> described the deal in detail.  Does anyone have any info on this deal?

Nothing more than you read in the paper.  Holders of Grid stock (i.e.,
employees, founders, and venture capitalists) will have their shares
exchanged for Tandy stock this summer.

> Will we begin to see GRiDs in Radio Shack stores?  Will GRiD's
> corporate headquarters get shuffled?

No and no.  Grid will continue to do its own sales and marketing.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (03/23/88)

In article <966@bdmrrr.bdm.com> rudy@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Scott W. Rudy III) writes:
>I just heard that Tandy purchased the durable laptop PC company, GRiD.
>Apparently there was an article in the Wall Street Journal that
>described the deal in detail.  Does anyone have any info on this deal?
>Will we begin to see GRiDs in Radio Shack stores?  Will GRiD's
>corporate headquarters get shuffled?
>
>		Thank you for any info
>--
>Scott W. Rudy III               Phone:  (703) 848-7307
>The BDM Corporation             Uucp:  {rutgers,vrdxhq,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!rudy
>7915 Jones Branch Drive                rudy@bdmrrr.bdm.com
>McLean, Virginia  22102

Another question about the deal:
   -What effect whill this have on the two companies respective computers?
	Are we going to start to see Model 100's in brushed black magnesium?
	Or worse, are GRiD's going to get packaged in tupperware like
        cases?

I really like GRiD's laptops and am planning of getting one in the future. I
would appreciate feedback on users of thier machines (via E-Mail please). I
wonder what effect this this will have on them in the long run however?  I
am sure that the technological benfit will be mostly to Tandy's side, but what
is going to happen to the GRiD systems??

Thanks in advance.

Mark Ritchie
markxx@garnet.Berkeley.edu

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (03/23/88)

I hope that Tandy takes a lesson from GRiD in terms of packaging their
machines in a box that looks less like a child's toy.  Sheesh!  Those
candy-ass snow white plastic bubbles the Tandy machines come in make me
doubt the favorable reports I hear of the value of these machines.

--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.

disclaimer:
These are MY opinions.  You only WISH they were yours.

govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) (03/24/88)

> I just heard that Tandy purchased the durable laptop PC company, GRiD.
> Apparently there was an article in the Wall Street Journal that
> described the deal in detail.  Does anyone have any info on this deal?
> Will we begin to see GRiDs in Radio Shack stores?  Will GRiD's
> corporate headquarters get shuffled?

Will GRiD Shack stores sprout in malls across America?

Stay tuned.

tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) (03/25/88)

In article <966@bdmrrr.bdm.com> rudy@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Scott W. Rudy III) writes:
>I just heard that Tandy purchased the durable laptop PC company, GRiD. ...
>Will we begin to see GRiDs in Radio Shack stores?  Will GRiD's
>corporate headquarters get shuffled?

Tandy announced that GRiD will be operated as an independent subdivision, and
the current chairman signed a 2-year deal, so I wouldn't worry.  Tandy wants
to use GRiD's entree into Fortune 500 executive suites as a way to improve
its marketing position on the whole product line.  According to my salesman,
there will be no change in pricing, sales support or customer service anytime
soon.  GRiD may open some new overseas offices, and some new product lines
may use Tandy's manufacturing facilities, but that's all I've heard.  The
GRiD we know and love[/hate??] will be around for a while -- knock netwood.

--

Tom Neff