[misc.kids] Mac Software for children

mps@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael P. Smith) (10/27/87)

Christmas is coming, and I'm thinking of getting some software for my
Mac 512KE that my children will enjoy and learn from.  They both enjoy
playing with it, especially my 4.5 year old, who is quite adept at
inserting and ejecting disks, opening and quitting applications, and
the like.  She's crazy about our PD 'Wheel of Fortune' game, and wants
more letter games.  My younger will be 3 this Christmas.  She is less
verbally and more mechanically inclined.  She likes the 'Concentra-
tion' games more.

I'm more interested in software they can do things with than in
computerized flashcards.  I remember hearing good things about
Electronic Arts' "Pinball Construction Set," but I know this was not
developed for the Mac, and would not especially want ported Apple II
software.  Does anyone know anything abour Broderbund's "Toy Shop"?
I'm open to shareware suggestions, especially if you can tell me where
to get it.

General discussions of chldren's software should be posted, but please
check newsgroup header.  Mail specific recommendations to me; I
promise to post if I get more than a couple of replies.  Thanks,

Michael P. Smith	mps@cs.duke.edu / {seismo,decvax}!mcnc!duke!mps

"III. No one can be bound by a double love."  A Capellanus' "Rules of Love"

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/02/87)

In article <10486@duke.cs.duke.edu> mps@duke.UUCP (Michael P. Smith) writes:
>Christmas is coming, and I'm thinking of getting some software for my
>Mac 512KE that my children will enjoy and learn from.  They both enjoy
>playing with it, especially my 4.5 year old, who is quite adept at
>inserting and ejecting disks, opening and quitting applications, and
>the like.

I don't think I've ever seen greater evidence of what an amazing machine the
Mac is than my friend's 3.5 year-old daughter walking into the room we were
sitting in, flipping on the Macintosh, plugging in a disk and starting (and
then using!) MacPaint.  Yikes!  Soon the 10 year-olds will be competing for
our computing jobs :-).

I digress... one thing I am amazed at, in all the attention that has
surrounded HyperCard, is that it is rarely (if ever) mentioned as a
fantastic tool for education of children.  Bill Atkinson, the creator of
HyperCard, has constently harped on what a great education program it can
be.  It's very easy for parents to create guided stories and primers for
their children -- I think of the two shareware stack's I've seen (Laura's
letters and the cat adventure) give the child a wonderful chance to
interactively view the story or the lesson, with built-in sound effects.

Of course, Hypercard pretty much demands 1 Meg of memory; and for parents
who want to have the computer say things when a button is pressed on the
screen, a sound digitizer (~$100) would be very helpful, though MacInTalk
could be used instead (a computer-generated voice, but not as clear as
digitized sound).  And a hard drive would probably be neccessary after a
while (though it is getting to be de rigeur for a Mac to have a hard drive).
But if you have the drive and the 1 Meg, the $49 investment into HyperCard
(along with Danny Goodman's HyperCard Handbook) could be a wonderful
construction kit for parents to create their own "learning programs" for
their kids.

                    "He's a bit too theatrical
                     for my taste."
                                             "Mr. Rogers is too theatrical
                                              for your taste, darling..."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...