[misc.kids] Kid Proof Keyboard

res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) (12/14/87)

Can anybody recommend an IBM PC compatible kid proof keyboard.
Something that can withstand apple juice and peanut butter attacks.
I currently have a Keytronics 5150 keyboard, so another alternative
is something that fits over top.  I have seen keyboard covers for IBM keyboards
but never for the Keytronics.  FYI, the keyboard must be usable while covered.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Stockwell @ Pac Bell
ptsfa!res

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/15/87)

In article <3881@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

| Can anybody recommend an IBM PC compatible kid proof keyboard.

RCA used to make a membrane keyboard for hostile environment use. I know
mine was literally "dishwasher safe," having gotten it covered with a
mixture of peanutbutter, jelly, and soda. I just run it through on
"gentle" and no dry cycle, wiped it off with a towel, and it ran.

I don't know if they're still making any keyboards of this type, or with
PC layouts, but it seems worth checking.

Disclamer: RCA and I both work for GE, but I say what I think anyway.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bobmon) (12/16/87)

I just wrap the keyboard (somewhat loosely) in one or two layers of Saran
wrap/generic plastic food wrapping.  The material is flimsy enough to allow
speed-typing through it, as I'm doing now, and it's perfectly protective until
you eventually wear through it.  But it's easily replaceable and at a very
attractive price ("free"), and it commits you to nothing if you don't like it.
I tape it to the back side so it'll stay put.

As a side benefit, the wear patterns give me a fascinating glimpse into the
usage of my keyboard -- for example, the CTRL, "A", and Down-Arrow keys are
all worn (the plastic cover, that is) much more heavily than RETURN, and it
appears that I hit the SPACE bar almost exclusively with my right thumb.  And
nothing evil has gotten into the keyboard, even though I perform most of my
bodily functions while hunched over it.  (:-)

p.s.  I had a commercial version of this for my old C-64; it worked okay and
was obviously sturdier, but it cost about $15 and the sturdier plastic was
also stiffer so that pushing one key had a tendency to carry its neighbors
along too.  Given my choice of either, for free, I'd stay with the
lighter-weight and renewable food-wrap.

mlinda@isieng.UUCP (M'Linda Lea Taylor) (12/16/87)

In article <3881@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Can anybody recommend an IBM PC compatible kid proof keyboard.
>Something that can withstand apple juice and peanut butter attacks.
>FYI, the keyboard must be usable while covered.

Why don't you ask the manager at your local auto parts shop where they get
the plastic covers for their keyboards?  I have seen them for various types
of keyboards and they are molded so that they have indentations for each
key.  They are useable while covered.  (Black and greasy, but usable).

Sounds peanut butter proof to me.

Good Luck!!!!

M'Linda

simon@alliant.Alliant.COM (Leo Simon) (12/17/87)

I remember that DEC used to have keyboard overlays with different
key functions.  I am looking for a similar one, which I could use
with different font word procesors.  Anybody knows any commercial
products?  I should say, though, that somebody's idea about saran
wrap is attractive.

Leo Simon

wv@whuts.UUCP (DUNCAN) (12/19/87)

In article <3881@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>Can anybody recommend an IBM PC compatible kid proof keyboard.
>Something that can withstand apple juice and peanut butter attacks.
>FYI, the keyboard must be usable while covered.

I know that somebody manufactures keyboard covers for keyboards used
on a manufacturing floor, for example, and the keyboards are fully
useable. Anybody have a name of a supplier ?

					Bill Duncan

alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) (12/21/87)

>I remember that DEC used to have keyboard overlays with different

BTW, when I was at DEC, those things were nicknamed "keyboard condoms."

simon@alliant.Alliant.COM (Leo Simon) (12/22/87)

In article <2674@masscomp.UUCP> alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) writes:
>>I remember that DEC used to have keyboard overlays with different
>
>BTW, when I was at DEC, those things were nicknamed "keyboard condoms."

This is exactly the thing that I am looking for!

donovan@cg-atla.UUCP (Dennis Donovan X5176) (12/28/87)

Therefore I do not guarantee anything.

In article <1016@alliant.Alliant.COM> simon@alliant.UUCP (Leo Simon) writes:
>In article <2674@masscomp.UUCP> alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) writes:
>>>I remember that DEC used to have keyboard overlays with different
>>
>>BTW, when I was at DEC, those things were nicknamed "keyboard condoms."
>

>This is exactly the thing that I am looking for!

Sorry this took so long, I saw an ad for this very thing a day or two after you
posted your article and I kept forgetting to bring it in. Well here are two
different ones I saw:

Seen in "Computer Shopper's PC Clones" Jan. 1988 p. 23 New Products Column:

	"Visiflex Seels offer a tough, inexpensive protection against liquid
	spills, dust and dirt, and contaminants of all kinds..."
		Reprinted without permission, but an exact quote.

	No list price given.

	For further information, contact:
		Mike Allen
		Visiflex Seels. Inc.
		16 E. Lafayette St.
		Hackensack, NJ 07601-6895

		(201) 487-8080

The second one is was seen in an ad in "Byte" Dec. 1987 p. 102:

	SafeSkin
	"Protects Continuously - 24 Hours a day - Against computer downtime
	against liquid spills, dust, ashes, staples, paper clips and other
	environmental hazards..."
		Reprinted without permission, but an exact quote.

	List price $29.95

	For Free Brochure contact:
		Merritt Computer Products, Inc.
		4561 S. Westmoreland
		Dallas, TX 75237

		(214) 339-0753

Too bad the guy in Electric Dreams didn't have one :-)

|                    Dennis L. Donovan                     |
| UUCP   : decvax!cg-atla!donovan                          |
| AT&T   : (617) 658-5600 x5716                            |
| USMAIL : Compugraphic Corporation                        |
|          200 Ballardvale St., M.S. 200-2-2F              |
|          Wilmington, MA 01887                            |
"Nobody asked, just my opinion"
Disclaimer: The views expressed are my own, I doubt if CG really cares anyway.

davef@kcl-cs.UUCP (David Furber) (01/14/88)

In article <8212@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <3881@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:
>| Can anybody recommend an IBM PC compatible kid proof keyboard.
>
>I know mine was literally "dishwasher safe," having gotten it covered with a
>mixture of peanutbutter, jelly, and soda. I just run it through on
>"gentle" and no dry cycle, wiped it off with a towel, and it ran.

I just tell my kids that if they bring anything edible, drinkable or otherwise
messy anywhere near my machine then THEY won't get to go near it for a week.
They're aged 3 and 6 and they accept this.  It's cheaper than buying a new
keyboard :-).
--
        David Furber        ...ukc!kcl-cs!davef    davef%kcl-cs@uk.ac.ukc