[misc.kids] Poison Holloween candy

brucer@drutx.ATT.COM (Bruce W. Robinson) (12/16/88)

In article <8544@alice.UUCP>, ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
> In article <4592@homxc.UUCP>, rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
> > There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> > Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
> > Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
>
> A news article that appeared yesterday described precisely this
> situation -- a boy named David in Spring Hill, Florida who wants
> zillions of postcards.
>
> The article goes on to explain that the boy does not really exist,
> but that ``bags and bags'' of postcards keep coming.
>
>          etc

We've all probably heard horror stories about poisoned holloween candy,
red hot nickles, razor blades or LSD in treats, etc.  Is this for real or
simply another example of an idea that survives because it is believable?
Other examples: tooth-fairy, god, fairness, democrats, and Amway :-)

There was an article recently in the (Boulder) Daily Camera newspaper
claiming that there has "never been a substantiated case of doctored
holloween treats", but they failed to adequately attribute the claim,
(just like I'm failing to properly attribute their article).

Does any netter have solid evidence of such Holloween malignancy?

      66

       ^          ......brucer

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (12/19/88)

In article <9651@drutx.ATT.COM>, brucer@drutx.ATT.COM (Bruce W. Robinson) writes:
 > In article <8544@alice.UUCP>, ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
 > We've all probably heard horror stories about poisoned holloween candy,
 > red hot nickles, razor blades or LSD in treats, etc.  Is this for real or
 > simply another example of an idea that survives because it is believable?
 > Other examples: tooth-fairy, god, fairness, democrats, and Amway :-)
 >
 > There was an article recently in the (Boulder) Daily Camera newspaper
 > claiming that there has "never been a substantiated case of doctored
 > holloween treats", but they failed to adequately attribute the claim,
 > (just like I'm failing to properly attribute their article).
 > Does any netter have solid evidence of such Holloween malignancy?

There was an article in the Dallas Times Herald last Halloween (about
14 months ago for those who don't understand "last Halloween ;^) and
in it the reporter said that extensive research had uncovered only one
case of poisoned Halloween candy in the United States in the past 10
years: a father in Houston, Tx, had poisioned several pieces of candy
and "smuggled" them into the collections of his child (children?) and
those of several neighbors after getting a large insurance policy on
the children.  All the other reported cases turned out to be hoaxes.

 >       66
 >        >
 >        ^          ......brucer

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (12/20/88)

In article <6493@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
>years: a father in Houston, Tx, had poisioned several pieces of candy
>and "smuggled" them into the collections of his child (children?) and
>those of several neighbors after getting a large insurance policy on
>the children.  All the other reported cases turned out to be hoaxes.

I believe the father had put cyanide into "Pixie Sticks".

Douglas Krause           "You can't legislate morality" -George Bush
University of California, Irvine   ARPANET: dkrause@orion.cf.uci.edu
"Irvine?  Where's Irvine?"         BITNET: DJKrause@ucivmsa