[misc.kids] WANTED: Early Elementary Math Drill Software

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (09/28/89)

My 1st grade daughter has been well-taught how to count. However, her
memorization of basic addition and subtraction facts is woefully inadequate.

I'm looking for a math drill program that does a good job of drilling
simple math facts, without teaching kids to just count in their head.
Seems like such a program should have features like:
	o Control over choice of +, -, *, /
	o Time limit on data entry, with a new problem given when student
		doesn't answer on-time during test-drill
	o Memorization phase where combinations that were not answered,
		or answered incorrectly, are presented for student to
		memorize.

Does anybody know of such a program for the PC, whether P.D., shareware, or
commercial??? Help, please! Thanks.

Pete

--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (09/29/89)

I've got a MS Windows program I wrote for my daughter that meets some of
the requirements you list.  I'm not exactly sure how to get it to
you, however... (assuming you want it).

Barry

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (10/05/89)

In article <1989Sep28.035558.15245@Octopus.COM> pete@octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>My 1st grade daughter has been well-taught how to count. However, her
>memorization of basic addition and subtraction facts is woefully inadequate.
>
>I'm looking for a math drill program that does a good job of drilling
>simple math facts, without teaching kids to just count in their head.

How about a little Calculator type device made by TI called Little Professor?

It gives the choices you mention( +, -, *, / ), as well as choice of level
of difficulty in numbers( 1 digit or more ). It gives a you two numbers
to perform an operation on, and a time limit for responce. it does this for
a sequence(I beleive its seven operations), and then shows how well you did.

Good luck, and have a great day.