[misc.kids] $$$ EXCLUSIVE GAME CLUB $$$ -- Indy 500

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov16.024923.10983@d.cs.okstate.edu> ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
|simulation a real "feel" and sound environment.  The program, Indy 500,
|provides superb 3-D VGA graphics to compliment the sound, giving better
|than video arcade simulation atmosphere (get to sit in your very own lazy
|chair, dip down low like in a race car cockpit).

This sounds interesting. I'd love to buy a realistic driving simulator
for my son to use before actually hitting the asphalt. But I want
simulated accidents and problems. Stalls on the freeway, people who
pull out in front of you, rain slicked roads, etc. Objects that
fall in the road way. Animals (deer) that run in front of you. Obstacles
that show up in the worst possible place on a blind curve. Maybe brake
failures on a long downhill. Something that will help him to avoid getting
into a serious accident as much as humanly possible.

--
KristallNacht: why every Jew should own an assault rifle.

weimer@ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov20.020425.26160@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>This sounds interesting. I'd love to buy a realistic driving simulator
>for my son to use before actually hitting the asphalt. But I want
>simulated accidents and problems. Stalls on the freeway, people who
>pull out in front of you, rain slicked roads, etc. Objects that
>fall in the road way. Animals (deer) that run in front of you. Obstacles
>that show up in the worst possible place on a blind curve. Maybe brake
>failures on a long downhill. Something that will help him to avoid getting
>into a serious accident as much as humanly possible.

Not a simulator, but helpfull (in some ways better):

1st step:
    Learn where the car is (the front bumper is not were the end of the
hood looks like it meets the road, etc). This is best done in a parking
lot with painted spaces. Pull into a space, [driver] get out and see where
car is. Back into a space, get out and check. Park with right wheels on
line, get out. Park with left wheels on line, back wheels on line, back
bumper over line, etc, etc.

2nd step:
    Practice turns, parking, etc. with cardboard boxes to miss. Extra:
while trying to pull up to (but not hit) a box, passenger unexpectedly
drops something on floor (learn to ignore distractions).

My biggest problem when I started: step on gas to go, consentrate on
keeping car in lane--ooops 58mph in a 35 zone...
Finding a large (long) parking lot could provide the needed practice here.

Gary Weimer