[misc.consumers] automatic sales calls

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus the Ranum) (10/13/86)

In article <118WGRCU@CUNYVM>, WGRCU@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
> In article <189@gouldsd.UUCP>, mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus the Ranum) says:
>
> >        One thing I have been toying with getting made is as follows:
> >splice a device into your phone that mediates between the actual phone
> >pickup and the ringer. When an inbound call is detected, the device
> >picks up, and produces a ring tone, without ringing the bell.
> >That way, only people you care to talk to could talk to you.

> >Live Free
> >mjr

> I've seen these devices advertised, and I never imagined what sort of person
> would consider themselves so self-important that they would have to have their
> calls screened for them to the point of not even allowing people to leave a
> message.

	Gee, I am just the sort of person who is that self-important !! ;-) !!
Seriously, to each his own. When I come home from work in the evening the
last thing I want is to talk to anyone who doesn't have something useful to
say. I get enough people screaming for me during working hours that when I
get home, nobody had better call me unless it's an emergency !!
	I am not one of those zeeks who wants a cellular car phone or some
neat toy as a status symbol, I just want to be left bloody well alone !!
My phone is a convenience for ME, and when I don't want it around, that
is simply that.

Live Free Anyway.
mjr

--

Take the round flat moon
Strange in the wondrous blue I find

moroney@jon.dec.com.UUCP (10/14/86)

In article <189@gouldsd.UUCP>, mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus the Ranum) says:

>        One thing I have been toying with getting made is as follows:
>splice a device into your phone that mediates between the actual phone
>pickup and the ringer. When an inbound call is detected, the device
>picks up, and produces a ring tone, without ringing the bell. It will
>continue to do so until it receives a series of 3 or 4 further tones
>from a touchtone phone. If the tones are received, then it rings the
>bell, otherwise it continues to blithely make a ringing noise.

I believe with some electronic hacking, (and a capacitor) one can monitor the
signal on the phone line while the line is ringing, so there is no need to fake
the ring signal.  It depends on whether the phone company sends the signal from
the caller's phone to the callee's phone while it is ringing. (which I believe
it does, but I've never tried it)  If so, such a device is easy.

>Live Free
>mjr

-Mike Moroney

decvax!decwrl!jon.dec.com!moroney

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) (10/15/86)

Hi,

About telephone vendors... I have come up with an easy way of revenge.

Since they automatically call me, even when I am not home, and load up my
recorder with dead calls, and are obstinent enough to not understand NO!,
I get rather annoyed. I get their phone number, plug it into my computer,
and have my computer try to reach their computer

		  - every 45 seconds ALL DAY LONG -

I have never had complaints from the phone company, and I somehow feel alot
better, even though my calls have never reached the calling computer. I really
didn't want to buy anything anyway.

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-937                          @@   'Who said that?'

> I believe with some electronic hacking, (and a capacitor) one can monitor
> the signal on the phone line while the line is ringing, so there is no need
> to fake the ring signal.  It depends on whether the phone company sends the
> signal from the caller's phone to the callee's phone while it is ringing.
> (which I believe it does, but I've never tried it)  If so, such a device is
> easy.

Monitoring the signal on the line during ringing is no big trick.  However,
only the older phone exchanges connect the two ends during ringing.  Newer
ones do not, because there is an obvious possibility of sending data or even
voice without ever picking up the phone.  Anything that permits unrecorded
calls is anathema to the phone company.  So whether or not this would work
is a function of what sort of equipment the phone company has on the other
end, which is subject to change without notice.

The simplest approach, actually, would be to include a buzzer or bell or
whatever in the monitoring box.  Ringing the phone bell itself is not
trivial, you need fairly high voltages and the right frequency (the bell
ringer is resonant at the ringing frequency).  Adding your own ringer
may be inelegant, but it's easier.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology