[misc.consumers] Design Examples Needed

norman@sdics.UUCP (04/14/87)

Stories, data wanted

I am writing a book called POET: The Psychology of Everyday Things.
It deals with design -- in particular, the poor design, of everyday
things.  I deal with things both simple and complex.  Simple things
that can cause grief are things like water faucets, light switches,
and doors.  Slightly more complex (but still everyday) things that
lead to frustrations include vcr controls, automobile dashboards
(especially auto radios, cruise controls, those ubiquituous stalks,
and heating controls), telephone systems (ah, those new
multi-functioned telephones now being installed in universities and
businesses across the world, with mysterious buttons labelled "R,"
where people stand around saying "My phone is ringing, now what do I
do?").  Get the point?

I am trying to show that designers of consumer goods have comletely
negelected the consumer.  They aim for aesthetics, for cost, for
hi-tech appearance, for prizes from design societies (one of my
sections is entitled: watch out for things that have won a prize").

Do you have examples or favorite horror stories to tell me?  Examples
are like my friend who got caught between doors and couldn't get out
(because the architect had gone for a sleek expanse of glass, with
invisible hinges and hardware, so one couldn't tell which side of the
door moved), or the frustration of groping for a clock radio to shut
off the alarm or to hit the snooze button, but changing the time of
day instead, or like my refrigerator (a GE) on which I cannot figure
out how to set the freezer and fresh food section temperatures.

Note that I am also trying to give positive examples of good design.
There are a number of examples I already have.  Please send me
examples of particularly good design.

[In the book I also try to give constructive criticism, showing the
psychological principles that lead to understandability and usability
of products (and that do not necessarily conflict with the real
economic and aesthetic constraints that the designer also faces).]

Don Norman
		"Kenneth H. Olsen, the engineer who founded and still
		runs Digital Equipment Corp., confessed at the annual
		meeting that he can't figure out how to heat a cup of
		coffee in the company's microwave oven." (Wall Street
		Journal, Friday, Nov 21, 1986)

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093

norman@nprdc.arpa	norman%sdics@sdcsvax norman@ics.ucsd.edu

mmp@cuba.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <339@sdics.ucsd.EDU>, norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) writes:

> (one of my
> sections is entitled: watch out for things that have won a prize").
> Note that I am also trying to give positive examples of good design.
> There are a number of examples I already have.  Please send me
> examples of particularly good design.

Check out Bang & Olefsun audio equipment.  It is great looking,
sleek, and very easy to use.  And that even when it's won
prizes! I like their older stuff better than the new.  Except
their CD player, their newer stuff is just gadgety, and not
very nice looking.

* Matt Perez *   sun!cuba!mmp  (415) 691-7544
DISCLAIMER: beisbole has bean bery, bery guud too me

pratt@paul.UUCP (04/15/87)

How about some functional clothing?  Banana Republic sells very durable
clothing, with all sorts of redundancy built in.  I am wearing a pair of
their "Jungle fatigues".  These have two sizes of extra buttons sewn into
the waist, drawstrings at the ankles to keep bugs out, big baggy pleated
pockets, and this little stitch near the knee which unfolds when you bend
your leg and folds when you unbend them.  Also, a little thing to tighten
when you gain or lose weight.  These beasts cost $40 but they'll last three
times as long as clothes which cost half as much.

mark@cci632.UUCP (Mark Stevans) (04/16/87)

In article <16728@sun.uucp> mmp%cuba@Sun.COM (Matt M. Perez [Graphics Projects]) writes:
>In article <339@sdics.ucsd.EDU>, norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) writes:
>
>> sections is entitled: watch out for things that have won a prize").
>>
>Check out Bang & Olefsun audio equipment.  It is great looking,
>sleek, and very easy to use.  And that even when it's won
>prizes! I like their older stuff better than the new.  Except
>their CD player, their newer stuff is just gadgety, and not
>very nice looking.

B&O audio proves Don's point, not disproves it.

B&O has won zillions of design prizes.  Their equipment is indeed great-
looking, and easy to use.

However, B&O units cost much, much more than functionally equivalent units
made by companies less obsessed with winning design awards, say JVC or Sony.
I do not believe that B&O equipment is as reliable as that of the
aforementioned manufacturers, and there are relatively few repair shops that
service B&O units.

I would compare B&O audio equipment to Saab cars.  Saab cars have won many
Eurodesign awards.  However, they are not especially reliable (according to
Consumer Reports), and there are very few places to get them serviced.  I
would buy a more reliable and lower priced yet functionally equivalent
Japanese car over a Saab.

					Mark Stevans
					cci632!mark