[net.sf-lovers] none

jcp.jhu@UDel-Relay@sri-unix (12/10/82)

From:      J C Patilla <jcp.jhu@UDel-Relay>

Today's Washington Post revealed that Lucasfilms may be changing the name
of the new movie to "The RETURN of the Jedi", since *somehow* they got the
idea that nice Jedis don't seek revenge. (there's a Balrog in the woodpile,
Goodgulf !)

A correction: Leibowitz may well be Yiddish, but Springsteen is Dutch (and
the Boss is Catholic, too).

remain in light,

	jcpatilla

fred.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay (12/16/82)

From:      Fred Blonder <fred.umcp-cs@UDel-Relay>

From: Pettit at PARC-MAXC

	I can recall a story about a couple "walking" a bubble-tent back
	to a moon base after a picnic in the nude, and getting a bad
	sunburn in the process.  I don't remember the name or author.

This was ``The Vacuum-Packed Picnic'' by Rick Gauger, published in the
September '79 ``OMNI'' (page 94).

EE.GDS%MIT-OZ%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (06/30/83)

From:  Greg Skinner <EE.GDS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC>

Paraphrased quote from Jor-El in Superman I:

"You must not, under any circumstances, alter the flow of time."

(sorry if it's not exact, perhaps someone will correct me.)

Although I have not seen Superman III, I have garnered from the film
clips that it bears no relevance to the above quote.  I would like to
offer this as a possible plot for Superman IV, if it should ever come
to pass.

Why was it so important that Superman NOT change the course of events?
And why was he able to get away with it in Superman I?  (If you
recall, he saved Lois's life by flying around Earth faster than the
speed of light until *before* she was killed, then rescued her.)

I would like to see some developments with this.  Picture a sect such
as the Watchers of Marvel Comics coming to Earth in Superman IV and
conducting a tribunal for Superman, bringing him up on charges for
altering time.  Of course, Lex Luthor will try to exploit Superman as
always, but he'll be tossed out by the Watchers.  The trial goes on
for weeks, until a final verdict is passed.  Since Superman did it for
love of Lois (even though it was for personal gain), he is offered a
choice:  Either he must sacrifice his powers as Superman for ever, and
live as mortal Clark Kent to marry Lois Lane, or he must be returned
to the day that he saved Lois, only this time he cannot alter time to
save her (in other words, she dies, and life goes on as it should
have).

I am surprised that something like this was not covered in the
previous (or current) Superman flicks.

--bo (gds@mit-xx.arpa, {ee.gds%mit-oz, uc.gds%mit-ee}@mit-mc.arpa
-------

DMM%MIT-ML@sri-unix.UUCP (07/03/83)

From:  Don M. Matheson <DMM @ MIT-ML>

Subj:	Dino DeLaurentis

Re: Steve Ludlum's query of 16-Jun-83

Dino has directed such gems as:
	The remake of King Kong
	Flash Gordon (The movie)
	and how could we forget Barbarella?
Point taken.

METZ@MIT-DMS@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/83)

From:  Harold S. Metz <METZ @ MIT-DMS>

Please place me on the SF-Lovers distribution list.

                                 Yours,
                                 Harold S. Metz

RG.JMTURN%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (07/28/83)

is indeed Asimov's wife. And anyone who thinks that the horrid
"Psrinks Anonymous" stories that regularly appear in IASFM aren't
nepotism hasn't read them.

BUTLER@MIT-DMS@sri-unix.UUCP (07/28/83)

I have noticed Camelot 3000 in my area comic shops, and I haven't been
particularly interested. Much MORE interesting is Frank Miller's RONIN,
which has a beautifully drawn post-holocaustal New York, as well as
a fascinating story (if you like demons, magic, masterless samurai,
super-high tech, and a teeny-tiny little smidgeon of violence [ahem]).
Of course, I stopped reading Arthur/Merlin/Camelot fiction after I read
Mary Stewart's trilogy. I don't think that any other version would be
as satisfying, since I started with that one.
So, you see, this wasn't about Camelot 3000. Its a cleverly diguised
plug for RONIN.

GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (08/10/83)

From:  Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>

-------

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (08/17/83)

TO: sf-lovers@rutgers
FROM: Alan L. Zeichick <G.MAINE=ZEICHICK@BERKELEY>
SUBJ: Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
DATE: August 16, 8:41 AM

1. Does everyone know about the HHGTTG records?  I
   acquired mine in Britain, but they should be possible to
   get here.  They are NOT the original radio series, but
   an adaptation with the original radio/TV cast.
   They are based more on the books than on the original series.
   Still, the records are quite nice.

   The first record is a two-album set, entitled
         "Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy"  (1979)
   and is made and distributed by Original Records, Ltd.,
   38 Long Acre Road, London WC2, England UK.  The
   record number is 'ORA-42'. (Appropriate!)

   The second record is a single album, entitled
        "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" (1979)
   and is numbered 'ORA-54'.

   The total purchase price for the two was something
   around 12 pounds U.K, or US$18.  They MAY be possibly
   available on cassette from Original Records, Ltd.

2. Does anyone have the original radio series tape, relatively
   complete?  If so, please let me know.

                                      -alan-

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (08/22/83)

TO: sf-lovers@rutgers
FROM: Alan L. Zeichick <G.MAINE=ZEICHICK@BERKELEY>
SUBJ: ST Transporter
DATE: August 16, 8:41 AM
   One argument against being transported--possibility
of glitch.  Assume that the transporter scans and
records the position of all atoms, all energy levels,
even all quark positions (and quarks are involved,
according to "Spock Must Die").  It then transmits
this information someplace else.  What would be the
possibility of only one crackle of static in the
transmission?  Of one binary bit being lost?
  Considering the tremendous amount of information
being transmitted, the probability of a 'mutation'
must be tremendous.  No wonder "Bones" didn't like
to have his atoms strewn over the known universe...
   It is odd that in the first ST movie, when the
technological gains were evident everywhere, that
they had a fatal transporter accident.  In the 5-year
mission, even with inferior equipment and emergency
repairs, nobody was every hurt...

-alan-

Why make the ST world coherent?  'cause its fun!

rtf@ihuxw.UUCP (08/24/83)

alan,

	I must disagree with you.  In "The Enemy Within" Kirk
was split into two halves; evil and good.  It nearly killed him.
This seems like a more complex and dangerous prloblem than the one
shown in STTMP.

					sparrow

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (09/01/83)

Subject: The Answer

	There has been a bit of talk, as of late, over the actual
meaning of the Answer given in Adams' Life the Universe and Everything.
I like the idea that 9x6 = 42 in base thirteen, and a couple of the
others that have come up, but there is one thing that must be taken
into consideration.
	Douglas Adams is a writer, an author of three very entertaining
books.  But he is not a computer scientist; his talent lies in another
area, and with no disrespect intended, I don't think that he would think
of using a totally alien numbering system to put forth a joke.   And
even if he did, I think he would have been more subtle.
	See, we gotta look think like a guy who spends most of his time
in front of a different kind of keyboard --- a Typewriter keyboard.  How
many of us still use one of those nobel devices ??  I do, on occasion,
and one evening I came to realize a wonderful fact.  When centering the
paper on the machine's roller, using a standard left hand column setting,
the paper will always center on tab stop number 42...
	Does this mean that the Universe is about to be replaced by some-
thing even stranger...?  Or maybe it has been already...

    		Dave

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (09/03/83)

To: sf-lovers moderator
From: Dave Godwin at UCI
Subject: LONG convention listing

Folks,
	I have in my posession a rather long list of sf conventions to be held
in both the near and not-so-near future in locations all across this country,
Canada, Europe and a few assorted other locations.  According to the organizer/
compiler/editor of this list, it will come out to aproximatly 8 - 10 pages of
text.  My question is , is the list ( known locally as Ben's Hammer ) of any
interest to sf-lovers ??
	See, I don't think that I can convince my fingers to wade through all
that unless there were a few folks out there who would want a copy.  If there
are, then I will be more than glad to start typing.  I simply need to know if
you want me to send all of this list, selected parts of this list ( as in by
region ), or whether you want me to forget the entire thing.
	In either case, I can be reached at the following address:

	ucivax!bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay

, and please mark the message 'attention to Dave Godwin', as there are several
of us sharing this account.
		Thank you,

		Dave Godwin
		Educational Technology Center
		UC Irvine

KFL@MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (09/07/83)

From:  Keith F. Lynch <KFL @ MIT-MC>

      Date: 26 Aug 83 17:02:46-PDT (Fri)
        From: decvax!tektronix!tekecs!brucec @ Ucb-Vax

        I'll mention one more: a short novel called "Two Dooms," by Cyril
        Kornbluth, written shortly before he died.  It investigates the
        question of what would have happened if the Axis powers had won the
        Second World War, and may have been the first story to do that ...

  Isaac Asimov wrote an alternate universe story, I think it was called
'Earth is Room Enough', in which the Nazis won.
  It was written BEFORE the Nazis lost.  I suspect it was the first.

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (09/07/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
       28 Kennebec Place, Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  September 7, 1983
       Wednesday at 11:01
-----------------------------
A repeat of my previous information about the HHGTTG records:
both 'HHGGGT' and 'Restaurant at the End of the Universe' are
available from Original Records, Ltd., 38 Long Acre Road,
London WC2  Great Britian.

The record numbers are ORA-42 and ORA-54.  My wife pointed out
to me last night that this seems to agree with that new theory
about base-13 numbers... otherwise, this is one appropriate
coincidence.  Maybe Doug Adams' is more mathematically inclined
that he was given credit for...

I have information that the radio shows might be available from
National Public Radio.  I'm checking this out, and will let SFL
know if/when/how they may be acquired.

Does anyone know where the complete recording of the HHGTTG
theme, 'Journey of the Sourcer' by Bernie Leadon, arranged by
Tim Souster, might be found?  The records only have parts of the
song.

Alan L. Zeichick

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (09/07/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
       28 Kennebec Place, Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  September 7, 1983
       Wednesday at 11:10
-----------------------------
That quote reminded me of those stories by A.E. Van Vogt--
I dug them out of boxes and read them all last night.  I
know of only two that are about that scenario--

'The Weapon Makers'   and
'The Weapons Shops of Isher'

Are there any more: novels, short stories, anything about
the Ishers?

Alan L. Zeichick

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (09/19/83)

Rich
	Sorry I did not return your mail, but I've been in Yosemite and
a few other neat places the last couple of weeks.
	For he rest of you people, I'll get the rest of the Hammer out
as soon as I can, but it may take a while, as I'm not going to be around
the machines as often as I was.  Any complaints/suggestions on the Hammer
to the net, please.
		Thanks,
			Dave Godwin
			UC Irvine

stever@cit-vax@sri-unix.UUCP (09/21/83)

More F & SF for children of all ages:

  Weirdstone ... (trilogy)       Alan Garner

  Earthsea Trilogy               LeGuin
   Magic from the island archipelago.

  Wrinkle in Time                L'Engle

  Phantom Tollbooth              ?
   Fantasy vacation.

  The Forgotten Door             Alexander Key
   Stunning.

  Mad Scientists Club (2 books)  ?
   Amusing scientific pranks.

  The Great Brain                Fitzgerald (?)
   Schoolboys.

  Freddie the Detective          ?
   Talking animals.

  (5 book series)                Susan Cooper

  The spaceship under the        ?
    apple tree  (2 books)

  Flatland                       Abbot
   Mathematical Fantasy

  Early Heinlein, in particular 'Citizen of the Galaxy' and 'Tunnel
in the sky'.  Ursula Leguin.  Andre Norton.  Alan Nourse.  Lloyd Biggle Jr.

James Schmitz:
'The Witches of Karres',    'A Pride of Monsters',
'The Telzey Toy',           'The Universe Against Her',
'Agent of Vega',            'Demon Breed',
'Eternal Frontier'

  Is James Schmitz alive and writing?  Am I missing any of his books?
Can any of you fill in the question marks above?

  I remember fondly a series of juveniles, in which Irish elves
lure children into lives of underground slavery.  There were at least
three books but I don't remember name or author.  Any takers?

  Here's a list of my all time favorite SF without comment.  Enjoy.

Dunsany,     PK Dick,    LeGuin,
Lem         'The Invincible',  'The Cyberiad', 'The Investigation'
Simak       'Way Station'
Snyder      'Testament XXI'
Sturgatski  'Hard to be a God', 'Roadside Picnic', 'Definitely Maybe'
Wolfe       '5th Head of Cerebus', SotT etc., 'The Devil in a Forrest',
	    'Peace', 'Island of Dr. Death And Other Stories and other stories'
	     Has Wolfe written any books besides these?
Zelazny     'My Name is Legion: Home is the Hangman',
	    'Doorways in the sand', 'Lord of Light'

  My most recent hot read was Melvyn Peake's Gormenghast series:
    'Titus Groan', 'Gormenghast', 'Titus Alone'  --

    The exquisitely morbid chronicles of the Castle Gormenghast, of the
birth of the new heir Titus, of the emnity between Lord Sepulchrave's
manservant Flay and the Cook by name Abiatha Swelter.  Tight.

  If I remember correctly this story was created in the early 30's or 40's
It never made it big - but deserves to!  It is a sight better than TC in
the anti-hero genre.  A Gormenghast movie would be incredible.

  Reading all three of the Gormenghast books takes considerable stamina.
I gave up in the middle of #2 but then that's further than I got with TC.

						Cheers,

						Steve Rabin
						Caltech

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (09/22/83)

Subject: Juvenial SF

Folks,
	I would suggest the Flinx series by Alan Dean Foster.  These box
are generally quite readable and fast paced, with the plots fairly inter-
esting.  The protagonist ages from 14 or so up to 17 or 18 in the first four
books, and is seen at a much later date in the last book in a co-starring
role.  The sequence is:

	For Love of Mother-Not
	The Tar-Aiym Krang  ( I think )
	Orphan Star
	The End of the Matter
	BloodHype

	Also by Foster, the book "Iceworld" and it's sequel "Mission to Moulokin
are good too.  These books, with the exception of "FLOMN" are Foster's earlier
work, and better than the drivel he has been coming up with lately, like
"The Man Who Used the Universe", or any of his movies novelezations.
	The Svetz stories by Larry Niven, compiled in "The Fight of the Horse"
are also on a level to be enjoyed to younger people, although these stories
were not written with that market in mind.  They are just good SF.  As for
myself, I was blooded on Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes", and SF
has been an addiction ever since.
	Also, does anybody know if The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
is out in paper back yet ??

		Dave Godwin, UC Irvine

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (09/28/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
       130 Moosehead Blvd., Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  September 27, 1983
       Tuesday at 18:37
-----------------------------
For those who are interested in HHGTTG, and have shortwave
adio receivers available, here's the list of when the program
is to be aired over the BBC World Service over the next month
or so...

OCTOBER:
Wednesdays (5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th) - 0830 & 1430 hours GMT

Thursdays (6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th) - 1030 hours GMT.

And for those who are at all interested in 'Science', there's a
BBC program on CERN - that big aub-atomic laboratory in Geneva -
on October 30th at 1430 GMT, repeated on the 31st at 1830 and on
November 4th at 2230 hours GMT.

If any one would like information about shortwave, the BBC, or
anything like that, please don't hesitate to let me know--by mail
if possible, by post if not.

73's,   Alan

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (10/01/83)

Re: Hitchhikers guide books.

	Thankx for the info, I'll try and find or order them.

		Dave at UC Irvine

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (10/04/83)

Subject: re: Hitchhikers guide books in paperback

	Well, I couldn't find Restaurant at the End of the Universe
in paper at any of the local book sellers, receiving various replys
of " we can't seem to order it ", " we're all out, and don't know
when we're gonna get more ", " it isn't out in paper yet " , to
" it does'nt exist in paper yet. ".
	I found it that afternoon at the Ralphs store down the road
when I went shopping for the week.  You really wonder sometimes.

	And just a note for any of you people out there who don't
know who Spider Robinson is (yes, both of you), or have not read any
of his work.  I have never found a more humorous, sensitive writer
in any field, and will recommend *anything* of his as fantastic.
The novel he and his wife Jeanne wrote together, Stardance, won either
the Huge or the Nebula (or was it both ??), and Spider has won the
John W. Campbell award for best new writer (that was several years back).
	His Callahan's bar stories has been published in Analog and S&SF
so many of you will know him, but all of his Callahans to date are out
in two paperback collections:

		Callahan's Crosstime Saloon   &
		Tiime Travellers Strictly cash

	His last collection, Antinomy, is worth the cover price for
the title story alone, so if there is any body who dosn't know this
guy's work yet, be ashamed and atone for your sins.
	His last book, MindKiller, was out and gone before I could
get a copy or read it, by the way, so if any body out in net-land
knows if it is still in print, or where I can buy or steal a copy,
I would much appreciate it.

		Dave Godwin, (the invisible one) at UC Irvine

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (10/04/83)

Subject: Hitchhikers on shortwave

Y'all,
	I may have missed it, but I did not catch the times and
radio frequency/channel/whatever for the shortwave broadcasts of
the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  Somebody help ??

	Thanx in advance,
		Dave at UC Irvine

bork%uucp.UCI@Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (10/05/83)

Fred:

	Yeah, man, go ahead and wack my letter to pieces, if it'll make
you feel better about the format for sf-lovers.  Being the moderator,
you'd know best what the readers want.  Thanks for asking me, but just
go ahead and do what you think best.

	Dave ( the Invisible One ) Godwin,
	UC Irvine

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/05/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Carole A. Zeichick-<g.maine=carole@berkeley>
       130 Moosehead Blvd., Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  October 5, 1983
       Wednesday at 13:07
-----------------------------
second album cover of HHGTTG, the rubber ducky belongs to the captain
of the Golgafrincham 'B' ark vessel.  The captain spends all his
time in his bath playing with his rubber ducky hence its use on the
album cover.

Now about Douglas Adams and the third book of the series.  Being a
HHGTTG fan for many years, having first heard the series in my native
Great Britain and having listened to numerous interviews with the
author, I can safely say that the third book has absolutely nothing
to do with the radio series.  The way it works is this:

The first book IS the first radio series - that's episodes 1 thru 6.

The second book is a free adaptation of episodes 5 and 6 of the first
radio series--i.e., not actually aired, but 'extrapolated' from Zaphod's
comment about eating at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

The third book has nothing to do with anything, and the second radio
eries (episodes 7-12) has not been written up in book form, and won't
be, either.

-Carole-

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/05/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Carole A. Zeichick-<g.maine=carole@berkeley>
       130 Moosehead Blvd., Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  October 5, 1983
       Wednesday at 13:23
-----------------------------
In reponse to the discussion about the TARDIS, I am able to supply some
information regarding this strange method of travel.  The TARDIS as used by
the Doctor is an old style British police box - that is a box found in major
cities on main roads to enable the public to call the police without having
to leave the scene of an accident or whatever.

The Doctor's TARDIS is always in the style of this police box but the TARDIS
of the Master, the Doctor's arch-enemy, has the ability to change into any
shape or form desired.  The Master is the Time-Lord of the Dark Side of
Galifrey and is so devious that he alone has managed to steal enough
technology to build such a super-TARDIS.  The Doctor's never 'jammed' into
the shape of a police box, but was designed to be like that.

By the way, the Doctor is 900 years old, not 750!P

Colin Baker is a British actor of good quality who I would not have thought
of as being the next Doctor but since he is to be that, I hope he does it
well.  He doesn't have the same humour as Tom Baker (no relation) and
always appears to be annoyed at something -he usually isn't!  He did
appear in several episodes of Dr. Who but I'm afraid I can't remember
which ones.  It may have been the 'Brain of Morbius'...

Hope I've been of help...

-Carole  <g.maine=carole@berkeley>

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/05/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
       130 Moosehead Blvd., Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  October 5, 1983
       Wednesday at 14:02
-----------------------------
Rich,
   The only story I know of that at all matches your description
is by Isaac Asimov (of course), in his anthology 'The Early Asimov,
Book One'.  The story is 'Homo Sol', written back in 1940, and is
the first of his two Tan Porus stories.  (The second is also in that
anthology.)
   Synopsis:  the Galactic Congress learns that Earthlings have
discovered the 'secret' of interstellar travel, and thus are eligible
to membership in galactic society.  Envoys are sent out, but it appears
that those strange humans are very clever, and not very interested in
joining the club--and keep turning domestic gadgets into nasty little
weapons systems.  However, Tan Porus, Master Psychologist, saves the day.
And yes, fake gods & goddesses come into the picture.

Enjoy.  -Alan-

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC@Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/07/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
       130 Moosehead Blvd., Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  October 7, 1983
       Friday at 11:17
-----------------------------
I've not heard of that story in a while!  I don't recall
what magazine it was in, but it was anthologized in an old
book called 'Omnibus of Science Fiction'.  That book, which
is at least 20 years old, is probably one of the best I
know of that contains 'Golden Age' sci-fi; unfortunately
I lost my copy years ago.  A Subway Named Mobius is only
one of the excellent stories in it; if anyone knows of a
paperbound copy of that anthology, please let me know.

'Carcinoma Angels'--I read it in 'Last Hurrah' also, though
I don't think the anthology was purely Spinrad.  I have lost
that book too--what's going on here?

-alan-

rene@umcp-cs.UUCP (10/07/83)

Why are so many messages sent with the subject 'none'? Are a bunch
of people just being lazy? Does someone's system do that? If everyone
knows why but me, you can just mail me at rene.umcp-cs@Udel-Relay or
{allegra,seismo}!umcp-cs!rene.

					- rene

gillono@uiucdcs.UUCP (10/09/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-1233900:uiucdcs:12500044:000:525
uiucdcs!gillono    Oct  9 00:01:00 1983

	I was under the impression that the Doctor's TARDIS had the ability
to change shape at one time, but the critical piece of hardware had ceased to
function long ago. He simply never fixed it.  I believe the Doctor makes  a
reference to this in some episode. I can't remember which one, but I think
Sarah was his companion at the time. Remember, the Doctor's TARDIS is old and
outdated by the time lord's standards. I could be wrong, but if anyone else
out there can shed some light on the matter I'd be interested.

					jfg

MAINE=ZEICHICK%G.CC%Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (10/10/83)

-----------------------------
TO:    SF-Lovers-<sf-lovers@rutgers>
FROM:  Alan L. Zeichick-<g.maine=zeichick@berkeley>
       130 Moosehead Blvd., Bangor, Maine  04401
       (207) 942-7512
DATE:  October 9, 1983
       Sunday at 21:23
-----------------------------
This I hope to be a comprehensive listing of all true published
Star Trek fiction.  I'm deliberately not including photo-novels
and the like; I'm only interested in genuine novels and short
stories.  If anyone knows of any that I've missed, please let
me know.

Blish, James                      Spock Must Die!
Blish, James & Lawrence, J.A.     Star Trek 1 - 12

Cogswell, T. & Spano, C.          Spock, Messiah!

Cooper, Sonni                     Black Fire

Correy, Lee                       The Abode of Life

Crispin, A.E.                     Yesterday's Son

Eklund, Gordon                    Devil World
Eklund, Gordon                    The Starless World

Foster, Alan Dean                 Star Trek Log 1 - 10

Gerrold, David                    The Galactic Whirlpool

Goldin, Stephen                   Trek to Madworld

Haldeman II, Jack C.              Perry's Planet

Haldeman, Joe                     Planet of Judgement
Haldeman, Joe                     World Without End

Lawrence, J.A.                    Mudd's Angels

Marshak, S. & Culbreath, M.       The Fate of the Phoenix
Marshak, S. & Culbreath, M.       The New Yoyages 1 & 2
Marshak, S. & Culbreath, M.       The Price of the Phoenix
Marshak, S. & Culbreath, M.       The Prometheus Design
Marshak, S. & Culbreath, M.       Triangle

McIntyre, Vonda N.                Star Trek The Wrath of Kahn
McIntyre, Vonda N.                The Entropy Effect

Murdock, M.S.                     Web of the Romulans

Reynolds, Mack                    Mission to Horatius

Roddenberry, Gene                 Star Trek The Motion Picture

Sky, Kathleen                     Death's Angel
Sky, Kathleen                     Vulcan!

Vardeman, Robert E.               Mutiny on the Enterprise
Vardeman, Robert E.               The Klingon Gambit

Weinstein, Howard                 The Covenent of the Crown

Happy Reading!
              Alan L. Zeichick (g.maine=zeichick@berkeley)

DMM@MIT-ML@sri-unix.UUCP (10/14/83)

From:  Don M. Matheson <DMM @ MIT-ML>

Subj:	Sundiver & Startide Rising

Having just finished both of these excellent novels, I
would recommend that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should anyone
read Startide Rising first.  It makes *Many* references
to events that happened in Sundiver, and would not only
be a bit confusing, but the reader would miss half the
fun.
	Cheers, DMM@MIT-ML

friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP (friedman ) (10/15/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-1238200:uiucdcs:12500047:000:304
uiucdcs!friedman    Oct 14 08:56:00 1983

This list matches my own, except that I would include:

Gerrold, David.  The Trouble With Tribbles.  [the original script and his
commentary on creating it]

Ellison, Harlan.  "The City On the Edge of Forever", in Six Science Fiction
Plays, Roger Elwood, ed.  [the original Ellison version of the story]

bork%uucp.uci-750a%Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (10/25/83)

Fred,

	Congrads on the wedding bit!  Take two weeks off.

		Dave at UC Irvine

bork%uucp.uci-750a%Rand-Relay@ucivax.UUCP (11/03/83)

Fred,

	I am forwarding this from the Whimsey bboard here on our Vax.  You
may receive another copy or so from other interested parties here, but just
in case, I thought sflovers might like this.  If you need to, hack at it 'till
your heart's content.

		Dave Godwin, UC Irvine

Forwarded message begins:

To: whimsey@Uci-750a
Subject: Writer's block
From: Jerry Sweet <jsweet@uci-750a>

This is from Danse Macabre, p. 346, by Stephen King.

				-----

It was told that Paramount Pictures had a preproduction conference of Big
Name Science Fiction Writers prior to shooting on Star Trek: The Movie.  The
purpose of the conference was to toss around ideas for a mission that would
be big enough to fly the Starship Enterprise from the cathode tube to the
Silver Screen...and BIG was the word that the exec in charge of the
conference kept emphasizing.  One writer suggested that the Enterprise might
be sucked into a black hole (the Disney writers scarfed that idea up about
three months later).  The Paramount exec didn't that that was big enough.
Another suggested that Kirk, Spock and company might discover a pulsar that
was in fact a living organism.  Still not big enough, the writer was
admonished; the writers were again reminded that they should thing BIG.
According to the tale, [Harlan] Ellison sat silent, doing a slow burn...only
with Harlan, a slow burn lasts only about five seconds.  Finally, he spoke
up.  "The Enterprise," he said, "goes through an interstellar warp, the
great-grandaddy of all interstellar warps.  It's transported over a googol
of light-years in the space of seconds and comes out at a huge gray wall.
The wall marks the edge of the entire universe.  Scotty rigs full-charge ion
blasters which breach the wall so they can see what's beyond the edge of
everything.  Peering through at them, bathed in an incredible white light,
is the face of God Himself."

A brief period of silence followed this.  Then the exec said, "It's not big
enough.  Didn't I just tell you guys to think really BIG?"

POURNE%MIT-ML@sri-unix.UUCP (12/13/83)

From:  Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-ML>

MC seems to hav flogged off.  Anyone with interest in space should know that
at this moment they are deciding in Washington whether to (1) do nothing,
(2) do a space station, or (3) do a space station and a lunar base.
	(3) Is Quite Possible, and could be in the State of the Union
address.
	If you have a strong opinion on this matter, they'd like
to know it in the White House.  The L-5 Soceity is going all out to
generate letters.

Thought you might like to know.  Since MC is dead, it's a bit
hard to reply to me...
JEP

METZ%MIT-ML@sri-unix.UUCP (12/24/83)

Many verses of `Real Old Time Religion' can be found in the pages of
Filthy Pierre;s Microfilk. Try to find someone who has a copy. -HSM

wecker%SU-Shasta@quill.UUCP (01/03/84)

I'm trying to locate a science fiction story (it appeared in a
collection of short stories) that had the following plot elements:

	1) 	Took place in the future
	2)	The hero was sent out from earth in a single man
		"spaceship" on a mission of general discovery
		(The spaceship is in quotes because it was more than a
		spaceship.. it was an extension of himself).
	3)	He was the symbol of the best that could be achieved by
		man (and knew it).
	4)	He could go anywhere and do anything.. and thought that
		he was virtually a God.
	5)	Needless to say he came across an intelligence that
		swatted him out of space like a fly and completely
		humiliated him.. stripping him of everything including
		his humanity.
	6)	Most of the story focuses on him as an animal regaining
		some semblence of concious thought and eventually
		defeating the alien that had tried to crush him.
	7)	At the end he returns to earth in the aliens ship..
		however due to what he's been through he is no longer
		really human, and everyone else knows it.

Does it ring a bell for anyone? It was one of the most powerfull short
stories I ever read... and of course I neglected to write down the title
or authors name. My guess is that is was written in the 50s or early
60s and the version I read was in hard cover.

brucec@orca.UUCP (Bruce Cohen) (01/05/84)

----------------------
[for the space eater]

>>I'm trying to locate a science fiction story (it appeared in a
>>collection of short stories) that had the following plot elements:
>>
>>	1) 	Took place in the future
>>	2)	The hero was sent out from earth in a single man
>>		"spaceship" on a mission of general discovery
>>		(The spaceship is in quotes because it was more than a
>>		spaceship.. it was an extension of himself).

I am certain that the story you describe is by Gordon Dickson, and I believe
that the title is "In the Bone."  I think it was written in the late '60s.
It should be available in one of the paperback collections of Dickson's
stories which is currently in print.

				Bruce Cohen
				UUCP:	...!teklabs!tekecs!brucec
				CSNET:	tekecs!brucec@tektronix
				ARPA:	tekecs!brucec.tektronix@rand-relay

stever%cit-vax@sri-unix.UUCP (01/07/84)

From:  stever@cit-vax (Steve Rabin)

  I found "Two to Conquer" by M.Z. Bradley, to be an extremely
well written novel - with many thought provoking images.

  It is my favorite novel in all the Darkover chronicles - in it MZB
demonstrates profound insight in the development and characterization
of "virtual twins", one a lord of Darkover - the other a Terran criminal
and rapist, both warped by the societies that produced them.

						      Steve

LS.SRB%EE@sri-unix.UUCP (01/08/84)

From:  "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB@EE>

I believe the story can be found in Danger, Human! by Gordon Dickson.

barry%BNL@sri-unix.UUCP (01/11/84)

To those who have been getting the w&w installments by ftp:

There has been a hiatus in availability while I found a host to store them
on where there wouldn't be uncomfortable repercussions.  I think I've
finally found one.

The latest installment is #14.  If you haven't seen that, please send me
mail (barry@bnl) telling me the last installment you HAVE seen.  I'll
try to make the intervening ones available.

Thank you for your patience,

Barry Gold

G.PORTLAND=WATSON%Berkeley@sri-unix.UUCP (01/18/84)

From:  John T. Watson   <G.PORTLAND=WATSON@Berkeley>

To:         sf-lovers@rutgers
Subject:   Hello.

I'm trying out mailer exec Alan Ziechick gave me.
I'm on BITNET node PORTLAND (Maine) and my userid is WATSON.
Please acknowledge this file if you get it, (otherwise,
don't bother).

Thanks, John.

DMM%MIT-ML@sri-unix.UUCP (01/21/84)

From:  Don M. Matheson <DMM @ MIT-ML>

Subj:	Request for SF recommendations

	Who would you folks recommend to someone who's read all
the books by Niven, Hogan, Brin, Forward and Sheffield (among many
others), and is dying for any one of them to write something
new?  I guess these tend more toward "Hard-Science" (particularly
Forward & Sheffield), but whatever category they fit in, I would
like to get some suggestions for other writers of this general
flavor...
	Also, has anyone heard anything about the Berserker-Times-
Seven collaboration that was excerpted in OMNI over 6 months ago?
I don't know what author to ask for, since it is apparently by
Niven, Saberhagen, and five others.
	Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
					Cheers,
						DMM@MIT-ML

MELLIS%MIT-MC@sri-unix.UUCP (01/28/84)

From:  Adam G. Mellis <MELLIS @ MIT-MC>

A friend of mine is looking for a book she read a long time ago, but she
doesn't remember the title or author.  I am posting the description that
she gave me.  Any pointers to possible sources would be appreciated.

Two young boys go scuba diving after a tidal wave/severe storm and find an
underwater cave with an emerald green crypt. The crypt contains a lizard/man
type creature who comes to life and befriends the boys, eventually showing
them his underground city, and driving them in his craft which can penetrate
rock by melting it.

She didn't remember the ending.

Thanks

Adam (Mellis@MIT-MC)

LRC.HJJH@UTEXAS-20.ARPA (02/09/84)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Books by Smith and Hubbard ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In addition to the Lensman and Skylark series, Smith had three
"singletons": SUBSPACE EXPLORERS
              SPACEHOUNDS OF IPC
              THE GALAXY PRIMES

The "Family D'Alembert" series, by Smith "with Steve Goldin" are,
with the exception of the 1st, IMPERIAL STARS, all by Goldin.

Fairly recently, (?David A.) Kyle, an old-timer fan and friend of
Smith has been writing continuations of the Lensmen series, each
featuring a different one of the non-human 2nd Stage Lensmen.

The Goldin and Kyle books are not well regarded, but if one has read
the "pure quill" stuff so often you practically know it by heart,
yet your appetite for more is insatiable, the imitations ARE better
than nothing at all.

L. Ron Hubbard's earlier books were:
     THE KINGSLAYER aka SEVEN STEPS TO THE ARBITER
     DEATH'S DEPUTY  (with the above as FROM DEATH TO THE STARS)
     FEAR
     TYPEWRITER IN THE SKY
     THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE
     FINAL BLACKOUT
     RETURN TO TOMORROW
     SLAVES OF SLEEP
     TRITON
     OLE DOC METHUSELAH

Whether they're "good" or not I can't say.  I especially like SF-
medicals, so grabbed up that last one but found it so inadequate in
comparison with not only much more recent ones by White and Nourse,
but also its nearer contemporaries, Leinster's "Med Service" series,
that I can't offer much hope.  It was so bad that if Hubbard's
recent book is even half-way good, I'd go along with the folks who
doubt that he wrote it.
-------

norskog@fortune.UUCP (Lance Norskog) (02/14/84)

Sorry, my copies of Subspace Explorer and Subspace Encounter claim to
be a 2-part series, with Encounter being his last book.  (Copyright
1962, when did he die?)  As someone said here a while back, Doc Smith
holds the record for the most books written by a dead man.
At least the Oz series had the good taste not to L. Frank Baum's
name on the cover...

I'm in the middle of Explorer, we'll see if the series is any good

Lance C. Norskog
Fortune Systems, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA
{cbosgd,hpda,harpo,sri-unix,amd70,decvax!ihnp4,allegra}!fortune!norskog

vickrey%Shasta@coors.UUCP (02/14/84)

TARGET is a British publisher.  They have been printing Dr Who
novelizations for about 10 years, and there are over 80 in print.
As far as I can tell, they follow the shows fairly closely.
Sometimes they are a little better, and sometimes a little worse.
The two-volume program guide is one book of plot synopses (my
edition only covers the first 18 seasons) and a cross-reference of
characters, places, things, and stuff.  It is extensive, but not
complete (at least I failed to find a few of the things I looked up).

Up until about a year ago these books were very difficult to get
in the States.  SF bookstores usually carried a very limited number
and you could sometimes pick them up in the Dealer's Rooms at cons.
The average price was usually three to four dollars.  With the current
popularity the show now enjoys mainstream bookstores are beginning to
carry more.

	"Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is
	 obscurantist drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to
	 puree of bat guano; and the greatest science fiction
	 series of all time is Doctor Who!  And I'll take you
	 all on, one-by-one or all in a bunch to back it up!"

This is not my opinion!  In 1979, Pinnacle Books, based in Los Angeles,
published 10 of the novelizations virtually intact.  Harlan Ellison
wrote one introduction for all 10 books, from which the above is
extracted.  Ellsion seems to unashamedly, unabashedly, unapologetically
LIKE Dr Who; the introduction is good reading.

"This type's not really my forte..."
susan

stever%cit-vax@sri-unix.UUCP (02/21/84)

From:  stever@cit-vax (Steve Rabin)

  I've been having a hard time finding Gene Wolfe's
Operation Ares (1970).  Is it novel or anthology?
Is it about anything in particular?

  What was Wolfe's first book?

				      Steve

beth%Upenn-ASP%upenn.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (02/22/84)

From:  Beth Gazouleas <beth%Upenn-ASP%upenn.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

The song with the countdown in it is Major Tom (Coming Home)
by Peter Schilling, a sequel to 2 songs by David Bowie
(Major Tom and Ashes to Ashes).  It is a great song!

beth

karl@dartvax.UUCP (Karl Berry) (03/11/84)

This message is empty.

kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (03/20/84)

>   I've been having a hard time finding Gene Wolfe's
> Operation Ares (1970).  Is it novel or anthology?
> Is it about anything in particular?
>
>   What was Wolfe's first book?

	Operation Ares is a novel, and is Wolfe's first book.

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash

campbell@Ll-Sst.ARPA (03/21/84)

From:  Steven Campbell <campbell@Ll-Sst.ARPA>

To: SF-LOVERS
From: Campbell at LL-SST

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to send this request,
but I would like to be entered on the SF-LOVERS mailing list.

My ARPANET address is:

	Campbell at LL-SST

Thank you for your assistance,

	Steve Campbell

kovner%regina.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (05/24/84)

To add more to the debate on FTL: (My qualifications: I have an ScM in
physics, with work in relativity and high-energy physics, although I
work as a software engineer, as I enjoy it more.)

>  (paraphrased) FTL ... would be the same as going backwards in time.

Time travel (without accelerating beyond the speed of light) is not (to my
knowledge) expressly forbidden in relativity, but it has its own set of
problems. (Physicists, and the rest of us, would have to give up
causality, but this is known, see the debate on getting rich thru time
travel.) In fact, in some ways, antiparticles may be regarded as plain
particles travelling backwards in time, and are drawn this way in Feynman
diagrams.

(Time reversal has other problems in particle physics; it is
known that the decay of the neutral k-meson violates time reversal
symmetry, because it violates parity (handedness) and charge conjugation
at the same time, and the product of these must be conserved (Why? I don't
know; I can't understand the proof.))

Since physicists have been looking for tachyons (particles created at
greater than the speed of light, so they can't slow down to C), at least
some physicists believe that things may go back in time. It looks like
tachyons either do not exist, or that they do not interact with normal
matter, as none have been found in at least 10 years of looking, but...

Another point about time reversal and relativity; this one my own theory.
Background: I was able to show the existence of black holes using only
special relativity and Newtonian gravity. (My calculation of the
Schwartzchild radius is off by a factor of 2; I think this is due to
errors in by calculation of the gravitational potential energy.) This was
done by assuming that time dilation is related to the total energy of a
particle. The special relativity equations give, for a particle with mass
and kinetic energy only, that the t/t'=E/M; where t/t' is the ratio of
time in the 'lab' to time measured by the moving object, and E is its
total energy (including mass) and M is its rest energy (MC**2). If one
takes a particle in a gravitational field, the result shows that the ratio
can become NEGATIVE (inside a black hole). (Does this mean time travel is
possible? Maybe, but the hard part is then stopping! )

Finally, general relativity (of which I understand little) does allow
(maybe) 'wormholes' -- connections between points in space which are
otherwise far apart. The only problem with using such things is that they
are found in rotating charged black holes.

This leaves plenty to think about, but I'll add one personal opinion: the
singularities of general relativity will somehow be eliminated. After all,
in quantum electrodynamics, the electron has infinite charge and mass ( or
is it zero mass?) if it could be removed from interactions with everything
else. Those interactions are also infinite, and so cancel. (this can be
proven mathematically, but again, I don't understand the proof.) The
result is the measured charge and mass. I do not know the result of
renormalizing a black hole, and I don't think anybody else does, either,
as gravity has not been quantized.

To end all this raving: The truth is stranger than fiction, even science
fiction.

Steve Kovner DEC Parker St. facility.
(DEC Engineering net:  REGINA::KOVNER )

carol%mit-cipg@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/29/84)

************Ghostbusters SPOILER********************

No, I agree with Ben Walls.  Before Sigourney Weaver started
having problems, the Ghostbusters had captured the thing in the ritzy
hotel, and I think a couple of others, and put them in their toaster.
One of the first things the Keeper confides to ...somebody,
I forget who... is that when he finds Zool "All the prisoners
will be freed."  I liked that touch:  these defectives cause a
horrendous mess, then become heroes for cleaning it up at the expense
of a great deal of property damage.

I thought the film was hilarious, and guffawed throughout it amidst
the stony silence of the rest of the small audience.

binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/06/84)

From:  binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (The Stainless Steel Rat)

Being a lover of English who has also a smattering of other languages, I
make my best effort at pronunciation of unusual names.  For me there is
a loss of pleasure if I can't savour the sound of a word.  It's quite
interesting that even a simple word can receive two radically different
treatments; "Dosadi", from Frank Herbert's "The Dosadi Experiment", (and
also my system name) is an example.  It can be pronounced either as
"DOE-suh-dye" or "Doe-SAH-dee".  Which sounds better?  I think the
second does, but if someone else prefers the first, that's
understandable.  Weird, but understandable.   :-)

Often, deliberately or not, the author has given a clue to the correct
pronunciation.  "Klaatu" is an example of this.  The "aa" sound is one
that appears in Scandinavian languages and also in Dutch.  In Swedish,
it is written as an "a" with a small circle over it, and it represents a
very broad "awh" sound.  (It's transliterated into English by the
doubled "a".)  In Dutch, it is written as "aa" and represents a broad
"ah"; thus, it's a fairly safe bet to assume that it ought NOT to be
pronounced like a short "a" as in "bat".

Sometimes one must search rather far afield for the phonetics.  The name
of the human ship in "First Contact" was "Llanvabon" - this word could
be of Spanish origin, with the "Ll" at its beginning, but it more likely
has Welsh roots, and the sound in Welsh of the "Ll" is "Thl", making
"Thlan-VAH-bon" a fairly good guess at the name.

At the other end of the scale, an author may state explicitly that there
is no correct pronunciation available to English speakers; this is the
line chosen by Heinlein in "Glory Road" - after a few lines of
italicised transliterations, the Hero states that he won't try to render
any more Nevian into English sounds.

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

UUCP:  { decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-dosadi!binder
ARPA:  binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Posted Friday 6th July 1984, 09:29 EDT by DOSADI::BINDER

mwm@ea.UUCP (07/13/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-142500:ea:11700017:000:1093
ea!mwm    Jul 12 17:29:00 1984

************Ghostbusters SPOILER********************

No, I agree with Ben Walls.  Before Sigourney Weaver started
having problems, the Ghostbusters had captured the thing in the ritzy
hotel, and I think a couple of others, and put them in their toaster.
/* ---------- */

No, you have it backwards. Sigourney Weaver was the Ghostbusters first
customer. "Remember" -

The three defectives were sitting around eating a take-out Chinese meal,
and Bill Murray says "I'll need to draw some petty cash to take her out to
dinner. After all, we don't want to lose her." One of the other two
(Akroyd?) says "This magnificent feast represents the last of the petty
cash." While this is going on, the secretary is taking a call from the
hotel, along with lines like "They'll be totally discreet." After she hangs
up the phone, she shouts "We got one!," and the ghostbusters head for the
hotel, entering with the totally discreet line "Hey, has anybody seen a
ghost."

So, Sigourney's problems must have started *before* the Ghostbusters
toasterized any ghosts.

	"Gee neat. We're being invaded."
	<mike

carol%mit-cipg@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/84)

Did Maggie's grandma look familiar to you?  As I sat there trying
 to figure out where I'd seen that face before, my husband leaned
over and whispered, "The grandmother is an alien from Star Trek".
He was right - remember the show called "The Menagerie", where
it's mostly a flashback about the former captain of the Enterprise,
(currently nothing but a head due to an unfortunate space accident),
exploring a planet where the aliens create illusions in people's minds?
Granny was the Head Alien!

carol%mit-cipg@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/84)

Subject:  Who is Maggie?

Oops, I neglected to mention in my previous message that I'm talking
about Maggie the  girlfriend of the protagonist in The Last Starfighter.

kovner%regina.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (07/22/84)

Re: DUNE casting

Back a few years, rumor had it that Orson Welles would be in DUNE. It did
not mention his part, but I would guess he would play Baron "I will sell
no spice before its time" Harkonnen.
(To show the inaccuracy of the source, it said that Pink Floyd would be
doing the music. [The Dark Side Of Arrakis? with green pyramids?])

Steve Kovner

UUCP:  { decvax, allegra, ucbvax }!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-regina!kovner
ARPA:  kovner%regina.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (08/09/84)

From:  binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (The Stainless Steel Rat)

> From: Andrew D. Sigel <sigel%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

> ...and Gerrold is one of the big ST mavens...

I should guess that Mr Gerrold might take strong exception to being
called a maven.  A maven is the female counterpart of a master, ie a
woman possessing surpassing skill.  In fiction, the term is usually
applied to those indulging in witchcraft, as in this bit:

"...Falangor was called the mightiest of warlocks; he was master of the
darkest of the black arts, and the people walked in fear of his wrath.
And Alyssa his betrothed had learnt well of him, for she was his equal,
a maven of terrifying power..."

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

UUCP:  { decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-dosadi!binder
ARPA:  binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Posted Thursday 9th August 1984, 09:14 EDT by DOSADI::BINDER

carol%mit-cipg@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (08/16/84)

Subject:  Matter transmission

Michael Kurland wrote a very funny short story which examined
several possible problems with m.t. during its early development.
The story is called "Small World", and I have it in a paperback short
story collection called "Two Views of Wonder".  In it,
such problems as one guy going in and two coming out (at different
destinations), a person whose amino acids are all switched right-
handed for left-handed so he can't digest Earth food anymore, and a
wife who sues the company because her husband emerged from the
transporter without a soul, are raised.  Some problems
are solved (like the problem of Arabs who go to San Francisco, eat at
a posh restaurant and then recite the phrase 'Ay Kan-nod Pai'so that
they can spend two weeks of luxury eating prison food).  The man
whose soul got lost in transit is declared a found object, therefore
chattel of the M.T. company.  Other problems are left unsolved.

AXLER%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (08/28/84)

From:  Macintosh Devaluation Manager <AXLER%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

It's not sf, but as long as we're on the general topic of adapting
existing tunes to other lyrics, try putting Robert Frost's poem
"Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" to the Broadway hit tune
"Hernando's Hideaway" . . .

wookie@rice.ARPA (09/06/84)

From:  David Wilson <wookie@rice.ARPA>

I can't help but agree with DUNTEMANN (7AUG84) about FUZZIES AND OTHER PEOPLE.

Also, I agree with his opinions about 2001 and 2010.  (although I thought
that both were trash instead of just 2010)

However, I must somewhat vehemently disagree with his opinions concerning
Herbert's DUNE 'series'.  I will admit that it does seem as if Herbert
writes every other book with the sole intention of paying off some
mortgage, but it is possible that DUNE MESSIAH and GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE
were required to set up the situations which made their sucessors so
fascinating.  Yes, I did find CHILDREN OF DUNE and HERETICS OF DUNE to
be quite fascinating---they provided a depth of realism not found in most
of the societies created by sci-fi authors that I am familiar with.
Further, I really don`t care whether or not the DUNE series has any
'socially redeeming literary value', I got quite a kick out of all of them
and recommend that if you have never bothered to finish the series (or
even start it), you should do so.

I could use a little advice:  I vastly enjoyed Elizabeth A. Lynn's
book which starred Rhani, Zed, et cetera (my mind is a little numbed by
a few too many Beck Dark's to recall the title) but I wonder if her other
books are as good and if she has published anything in the same vein.
Help me please??

I also strongly recommend Julian May's PLIOCENE EXILE  series.

Who originally introduced eroticism/pornography into sci-fi?
Was it perhaps an obvious step in the evolution of the genre?
Might it not be a sub-genre in itself?

Todd Smith       (therion on various un-netted systems--you can
PO Box 2671       communicate w/ me via wookie or snail mail)
Rice U.
Houston, TEXAS 77252

[Have pity on we the poor uneducated souls who have only the rarest
opportunity to screw around on a non-educational (i.e., non-restricted)
system]

carol%mit-cipg@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/07/84)

From:  carol@mit-cipg
To: Caro.PA@XEROX.ARPA
RE:  Aunt's story query

That book is "Gateway" by Fred Pohl, and a darned good story
it is!  It has two sequels, "Beyond the Blue Event Horizon", and
(oh, no, I lost the name of the other one.  Somebody sent it
on sf-lovers a couple of days ago.).

carol%mit-cipg@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (10/01/84)

Hasn't anyone else answered Chris Beach's story request yet?  The story
is called, "Absent Thee From Felicity Awhile..." by Somtow Sucharitkul.
It's in The 1982 Annual World's Best SF, ed. by Donald Wollheim),
and is copyrighted by Davis Publications, 1981, which means
it was in either IASFM or Amazing, I think.  Chris has the plot
slightly wrong:  the aliens are using the Earth's culture as a
kind of Junior High School Social Studies project for its children.
Also, the Earth people can communicate to the aliens by touching
conveniently placed poles, and have the hours every morning between
6 AM and 8 AM free to do as they please (since the protagonist wakes
up at 11AM on the day in question, it takes him awhile to discover this).
Also, the girl that dies in a train wreck isn't an old girlfriend,
she's someone he meets during a 'free time' exploration.