[misc.consumers] Do not order from PC BRAND.

phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/14/89)

>	here is my experience with PC BRAND (Chicago IL).
>	I ordered a PC BRAND 386 25MHZ machine.
>	etc... follows some nightmarish story.

Now i am reading than, not very happy. I just ordered a PGS MAX 15 monitor from
them...
Today arrives the monitor. I told myself: "What can they do anyway. They don't
manufacture it...

I try to open the box and i can't... I finally open it to discover that the
foam protecting stuff around the monitor has molten totally and resolidified
around the monitor.
You have to see it to believe it! Their wherehouse must be pretty hot! I will
try to return it myself (I live in Chicago) and get an exchange. That should
be a test of how well they handle these cases. I will report the end of the
story.

scott@vicorp.UUCP (Scott Reed) (07/14/89)

In article <4436@tank.uchicago.edu< phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
<I try to open the box and i can't... I finally open it to discover that the
<foam protecting stuff around the monitor has molten totally and resolidified
<around the monitor.
<You have to see it to believe it! Their wherehouse must be pretty hot!

Could be heat, but seems more likely that some solvent vapors got in there.
                        - scott

jimb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Jim Burke) (07/14/89)

In article <4436@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
:>I try to open the box and i can't... I finally open it to discover that the
:>foam protecting stuff around the monitor has molten totally and resolidified
:>around the monitor.
:>You have to see it to believe it! Their wherehouse must be pretty hot! I will
:>try to return it myself (I live in Chicago) and get an exchange. That should
:>be a test of how well they handle these cases. I will report the end of the
:>story.

Sounds like the problem could easily have occured in transport.  It can get
awfully hot in a truck trailer.  In any event, don't you all think you should
get to the bottom of this kind of thing before posting a business' name?  I
mean, if it does turn out that the trucking company was at fault, you have
already damaged the company's reputation.  You could possible even be sued
for lible.
--
Jim Burke        (408) 734-9822 (temp)  | I'll stop posting when they pry my
jimb@Atherton.COM                       | cold, dead fingers from the smoking

phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/15/89)

>In article <4436@tank.uchicago.edu< phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

><I try to open the box and i can't... I finally open it to discover that the
><foam protecting stuff around the monitor has molten totally and resolidified
><around the monitor.
><You have to see it to believe it! Their wherehouse must be pretty hot!
>
>Could be heat, but seems more likely that some solvent vapors got in there.
>                        - scott

End of my story: They do melt foam around equipment as was pointed out to me
by some charitable souls but... The foam is melted inside plastic bags so
that you do have two pieces of a casing that are reusable. The shipment i
received had the monitor wrapped in a bag and the foam melted around it di-
rectly in the carton box...absurd.
In addition the monitor was damaged (casing and knobs).
Also there was no manual or cables of any kind.

PC Brand did let me drive myself to their offices and gave me an exchange
on the spot with correctly melted foam ,cables and manual. So they did
do the maximum to correct the problem.

Kenneth_R_Jongsma@cup.portal.com (07/16/89)

Not having seen the box your monitor came in, consider this a guess!

There is one packing method I've seen used a lot where liquid foam is
poured in the box, a sheet of plastic is layed over it, followed
by the equipment in question. The top is then covered reversing
the steps. In effect, a custom molded box each time. Perhaps this is
what you received?

Then again, perhaps not!