[misc.consumers] MAIL ORDER IN IL is DEAD.

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (08/18/89)

In article <9056@cbnews.ATT.COM>, res@cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert E. Stampfli) writes:
> In article <2495@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> wolfordj@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (j.w.wolford) writes:
> >Our Gov. just signed into law that all mail order places must withhold
> >the 6 1/4% IL state tax. (Starts Jan 1, 90)
>
> Fine.  Could someone explain to me what powers of enforcement the great
> state of Illinois has over a business which has no assets or other dealings
> within that state?

I agree with that. What I don't understand is why that don't declare that
the transaction is taking place in the SELLERS state and not the buyers
and have the mail order operation pay the sales tax of whatever state
they are located in. It seems to me that it would be a heck of a lot
easier to enforce and a lot simpler for the mail order vendors as well.

The biggest drawback that I can see is that mail order firms will tend
to locate in states where the sales tax is lowest.

I think follow up should go to misc.consumers, since this issue isn't
specfic to IBM PCs.

--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel