[misc.consumers] Rechargable Batteries/Rechargers: any recommendations?

kcrudup@lotus.com (Kenny Crudup LID-A0794) (07/03/90)

In article <5879@videovax.tv.tek.com> bill@videovax.tv.tek.com
  (William K. McFadden) writes:
>If you really want to use batteries, definitely use the high capacity type.
>The best deal I've seen for high cap. nicads
>is Radio Shack, believe it or not.  Their 4.0 AH D cell is $7, which is a lot
>cheaper than any other source I have seen.  Don't waste your money on the
>consumer type 1.2 AH cells.  They're cheaper, but they just don't add up when
>you consider capacity (and a boom box needs a lot of that).

Due to some aggressive shopping, I now have 30 (yup, thirty :-) D-cell Ni-Cads
and a 7-hour charger. I also have a boom box that takes 10 of these suckers
and uses (draws? wastes?) 45W (out the AC line; the batts probably draw 80%
of that, so let's assume ~2.4 amps). I haven't made any real-time current
checks, but they last a couple hours before I'm into another set. I'd like
to go with hi-cap Ni-Cads, but the chargers I've seen for them tend to be
expensive (to do a set of 10, I'd need 3 4-cell chargers at $50/pop). I
think the expense is due to the fact that they charge in about 1hr, and
there is some overcharge protection circuitry built in.

Can I charge hi-cap Ni-Cads in a regular (this one is a 7- vs. 14- hour
charger, though) charger, my only tradeoff being time? Also, I was able to
get 30 D-cells at fire sale prices, and only spent $50 for them all. What
is the best price seen for hi-caps? Are all makers hi-caps the same?
Can I assume that all the ones I have now (GE and Rat Shack) are only
1.2 A/H?

--
Kenneth R. Crudup, Lotus Development Corp. Contractor, NASD/QA system V
1 Rogers Street 6381D, Cambridge, MA 02142. (617) 693 4111.