[net.sf-lovers] fat at the recent L.A. Con II

mclure%sri-prism@sri-unix.UUCP (09/07/84)

    Perhaps I had ignored results of my previous cons, but
at this con there seemed to be a lot more fat than usual.
I was surprised at the general lack of attention paid by
many (not all, notice) con-goers to their appearance.  I
don't think I have ever seen a more unattractive bunch of
people in my life.  And the sad part is that they seemed to
make no effort to improve their appearance.  Interestingly,
when I got back out into the real-world (the airport), I
was stunned by this thrust, back into the world of much
more attractive people...  and pleased.

	Stuart

hutch@shark.UUCP (09/10/84)

<die, slug>

The following choice bit of bigotry appeared in net.sf-lovers.

| From: mclure%sri-prism@sri-unix.UUCP
| Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
| Subject: fat at the recent L.A. Con II
| Date: Thu, 6-Sep-84 19:41:15 PDT
|
|     Perhaps I had ignored results of my previous cons, but at this con
| there seemed to be a lot more fat than usual.  I was surprised at the
| general lack of attention paid by many (not all, notice) con-goers to
| their appearance.  I don't think I have ever seen a more unattractive
| bunch of people in my life.  And the sad part is that they seemed to
| make no effort to improve their appearance.  Interestingly, when I got
| back out into the real-world (the airport), I was stunned by this
| thrust, back into the world of much more attractive people...  and
| pleased.
| - Stuart McLure

This is about the lowest thing I have ever seen on this network.

McLure, NOBODY has to live to meet your twisted notions of what an
"attractive" appearance is.  Fortunately.

Who do you think you are, that you slander hundreds of humans, people
of a LOT MORE value to the world than you (if one is to judge by your
fat-bigotry).  Do you think the whole world exists to give nicey-nice
to your eyes?

How DARE you assume that any one of those people was unaware of being
fat?  Did you ask them?  Did you go up and blurt out your poison on
them like you did on us?  So they "seemed to make no effort to improve
their appearance", eh?  How would YOU know anything about their efforts?

Would you rather they stayed at home, out of sight of polite society,
like cripples and handicapped people were once expected to do, or maybe
we should send them away to confinement camps?

I hope that someday you overcome your incredibly ugly deformity of spirit.
Until then, of course, we can all be pleased when we see that most other
people aren't nearly so repulsive.

Hutch.

emks@uokvax.UUCP (09/10/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1321200:uokvax:5400061:000:526
uokvax!emks    Sep 10 10:50:00 1984

It seems unfortunate but true that many in the fannish world don't
see fit to stay fit.  It's my (limited to the mid- and southwest)
experience that a great many fans are employed doing non-physical
tasks and, like many Americans, don't take the time to exercise.

Is there any possibility that a crowd which is, on the average, over-
weight will have a shorter average life expectancy?  Overweightness
does attribute to coronary and ischaemic heart disease.

Enjoy.

		kurt

		{ctvax,ea,uok}!uokvax!emks
		(Remember OKon?)

avolio@grendel.UUCP (09/14/84)

I'm sort of new to the net, but shouldn't all this be discussed in
net.followup or something?

(Some of my best friends -- me included -- are fat...)
--
Frederick Michael Avolio, DEC -- UNIX Support, 301/731-4100x4227
UUCP:  {seismo,decvax}!grendel!avolio

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/19/84)

The only valuable part of a human being is the brain. Your attitude toward
another human should be based ONLY on the quality of their brain, and how
it is used (since this is self-referential -- the brain determines its own
use -- it is really the same thing). We would all be much better off if
we could discard these loathsome caracsses which exist solely to support
our brains, and replace them with decent mechanical devices. Any physical
capability of our bodies can be exceeded by mechanical means; this means
that all sports activity and records are worthless, by the way, as replacing
the body with an appropriate mechanism will enable it to move faster, do
things more accurately, etc.

The corollary to this is of course that any non-brain attribute of a person
is meaningless, so that basing your ambition or effort on charateristics
like sexual attractiveness, physical strength, or simply appearance is
contemptible.

(To those whose first reaction to the idea of moving from a biological to
a mechanical housing for your brain is "I like sex too much to give it up"
(I saw exactly such a response some years back when this was discussed on
SF-Lovers), let me remind you that  you can feed ANY signals down the
nerves when in a mechanical contruct, and thereby can realize ANY fantasy
and apprehend ANY "reality" you may choose. You can have a lot more sex
in this situation than you can now!)

So, dammit, IGNORE THE BODY -- it doesn't matter if it is fat or thin,
white or black, male or female, whole or handicapped. Only the brain/mind
matters. (But, since you've eliminated all these other bases for
discrimination, you can apply severe standards to evaluating those
brain/minds. If the individual doesn't make it there, he/she is
worthless.)

Will Martin

sue@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Susan Haseltine) (09/21/84)

< high caloric content >

Will -

You say ignore the body, the only part of a human being that
counts is the brain?  I agree that this attitude helps in trying
to deal with people equitably, and that prejudices regarding an
individuals physical appearance are unfortunate.

I do not however, feel that you can EVER separate the brain and
the body.  Our brain is what it is because it evolved with
our body.  Likewise our bodies are formed by our
brain/minds.

As for replacing the body with mecanical/electronic form,
it is doubtful that tecnology will ever be able to total
recreate the complex chemical and electical environment our
wonderful bodies provide for us.

Our humanty resides in our bodies as well as our brains;
in fact, our brains are part of our bodies, and unless there
is some transferable soul which could be encased in  a
mechanical marvel, you can't have brain without body.

If the problems of prejudice base on phiscal appreance
are to be solved it must be in the heart, not by
abandoning the heart for some mechanical perfection.

Susan Haseltine

...{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3,trw-unix,ucla-cs}!sdcrdcf!sue

avolio@grendel.UUCP (09/22/84)

Why not move this to net.fat.sf or something?  What a  waste  of  time  and
energy...  If you folks don't quit I'm going to take my ball and bat and go
home! (And I'm not even fat...  Well, okay...just a tiny bit chunky...)

Fred
--
Frederick Michael Avolio, DEC -- U{LTR,N}IX Support
AT&T:  301/731-4100 x4227

jfw@mit-eddie.UUCP (John Woods) (09/24/84)

> I do not however, feel that you can EVER separate the brain and
> the body....

What do you mean?  The French came up with a marvelous way of doing just that!

[ The above opinions are not necessarily those of either my brain, my body,
or the saline bath in which some of them are immersed. ]
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems
decvax!frog!john, mit-eddie!jfw, JFW%mit-ccc@MIT-XX

Guns don't kill people, I kill people.

sue@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Susan Haseltine) (09/25/84)

[ Little Dutch Boy's Finger ]

Mais non, monsieur! The French always have the body in mind!

Susan Haseltine

...{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!sue

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (09/25/84)

[Actually, fat is not in the eye of the beholder.  The eye is filled
with a gelatinous fluid]

OK folks.  Enough is enough.  We all know a lot of Americans are fat
(others are pleasingly plump).  It's nobody's business but their own.

"We did the impossible yesterday..    Ethan Vishniac
   Now we're too tired to care."

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (10/04/84)

Huh.  I'm not fat.  I'm fluffy.
--
Off the Wall of Gene Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332