[sci.med] Selecting the sex...

licsak@hsi.UUCP (Don Licsak) (10/11/86)

> In article <1178@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> garry%cadif-oak@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu writes:
>
> >But as female babies and females became less numerous in the population,
> >the societies and families might discover that the numerous males were
> >always throwing themselves into wars and getting killed (I'm thinking of
> >Iran and Iraq), less able to procreate (by the numbers), and in general
> >being not-too-useful for one's declining years and for society. Then
> >female children would become, willy-nilly, more valuable and more valued.
> >
> >And that would be a Good Thing.
>

> Not necessarily.  I tend to think female children would definitely
> become more valuable as potential brood mares.  And those poor unfortunates
> that could not supply their quota of children would have no purpose or
> value to society.  And we know what THAT means.
>
> Yuck.
>
> Trisha (and that would be a Bad Thing) O Tuama

Would it not follow that the males who are left be used as studs and
highly favored? And, those males who are sterile or impotent would
also be of no use to society and meet a fate similar to unproductive
females. They would became drones or soldiers akin to bees or ants.

--

         Don Licsak                      ihnp4!hsi!licsak
         Health Systems International

        "If you don't want anybody to find out, don't do it"
                                  - Chinese Proverb